ARSE forums, a big decision.

ARSE News, rules and important stuff

What should we do with the ARSE forums.

Keep, them, I can contribute.
45%
Scrap them, they arent used these days.
27%
Move them (this option is only if I can work it out)
27%

Total votes: 11

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

ARSE forums, a big decision.

Post by norbs »

Hi gents,

I think the time has come to look at doing something about the forums. Bluehost, which was once cheap, is no longer.

Code: Select all

Product Description		Exp.	Qty	Price
arseforums.com	
Cloud Starter Hosting: from
2023-05-10 to 2024-05-10	10 May 2023	$12.99/12.00 mo	$155.88
	subtotal	$155.88
	tax:	$15.59
	total:	$171.47
Im trying to figure out if that us USD or AUD. Either way, for the use it gets, it is a lot of money.

See the poll below and have a vote.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Re: ARSE forums, a big decision.

Post by DarrenM »

I don't think we do anything on the forums that we couldn't be doing on the discord. Most subforums could just be chat channels put into related groups and others like Real Racing could have threads like the friday-night-races channel.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Will Jamo use Discord?
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:46 am I don't think we do anything on the forums that we couldn't be doing on the discord. Most subforums could just be chat channels put into related groups and others like Real Racing could have threads like the friday-night-races channel.
I find the Discord forums thing clunky. My biggest worry is losing 20 years of history and info.
pab

Post by pab »

Are you able to give us some idea on how much server resources (files and db) the forum is currently using Norbs?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs

Post by norbs »

pab wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:56 am Are you able to give us some idea on how much server resources (files and db) the forum is currently using Norbs?
It is bugger all to be honest. Im chatting to BH now about a slightly better price.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

No way we couldn't run it on AWS/Oracle Free Tier.. but it would take someone time to do the migration/look after it
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:07 am No way we couldn't run it on AWS/Oracle Free Tier.. but it would take someone time to do the migration/look after it
For sure. Even Fluxcore WEB3 :)

But I want to minimise the work needed to keep it all running. God knows how many hours Kev has put in over the years.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah for sure, look im bias I still like it and enjoy coming here daily, I know its died down over the years but I think loss of the forum would feel like the end of ARSE for me, tho I guess I should be more active on discord ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:16 am Yeah for sure, look im bias I still like it and enjoy coming here daily, I know its died down over the years but I think loss of the forum would feel like the end of ARSE for me, tho I guess I should be more active on discord ;)
I still drop in a few times a day. Discord gets more use, but the forums are like an old tshirt I dont want to get rid of. :)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

WtF is Discord?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:12 pmWtF is Discord?
You in a HR meeting? :D
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

It's like ICQ :D
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Brett_S wrote:
It's like ICQ :D
1819963 if you are adding people to ICQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

norbs wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:09 am God knows how many hours Kev has put in over the years.
It's not a huge amount of my time to be honest. Just updates when I feel like it. The last time I did serious work it was 2 hours but that was because the hosts updated the minimum php version and it broke the board version we were using but once I'd updated it was fine.

I'd be sad to see it go (it's the first or second page I look at every day!) but I can understand the cost implication for a relative handful of posts a week. The number of active people has dropped off a fair bit in the last couple of years. Having said that, 41 different people have visited this month alone. A lot of forums would kill for that!

Posting is largely in off topic, real racing, cars, air, tv/film, cycling and occasionally music, racing games and hilariarse.

None of the racing team forums have been posted in for at least 2 years (I guess that's all moved to discord).

We could maybe 'archive' all the forums with nothing new since, say, 2020 by moving them to the bottom of the index page and then just bunch the active ones together at the top. That might encourage a bit more posting. Could do a mass mail 'calling all ARSEs' to see if people want to come back but sometimes real life gets in the way and people move on, that's only natural. I'm sure we've all drifted away from forums we used to read all the time.

I've never used discord so I can't comment on how the site would look and work with that but I wouldn't be averse to signing up to it if we could keep the chat going.

We're only about 18 months away from this thing running for 20 years. That's quite an achievement for a few blokes racing pixelated 60's F1 cars around old tracks with dodgy physics and big lag times! Jeez we could gradually morph it in to a pensioners forum :D But if we did decide to shut down, I would absolutely get a database backup and have a local copy so that if anyone wanted a reminder of an old topic I could dig it out and send them a PDF or similar.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good post Kev.

I got a bit of a deal for the next 2 years. I think by that time we look into archiving things and seeing if there is a better solution. By that time we can probably host on my mobile phone. :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

By the way, if people are posting less because of the forum subjects not being to their liking, or the style, or the features or the usability on mobiles etc etc, I'm happy to investigate what we can do about that (if Norbs is happy too). For instance, if lots of people would like a forum on, say, dogs! I'm happy to make one :)

Good job Norbs. I'm sure 2 years will give us enough time to think of a plan if we'd like to keep things going. Probably all be done in VR by then!
My Flickr Stream
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Happy to chip in Norbs. I’ve been a tight arse over the years for various reasons. Reach out and I’ll send some cash.

As for forum usage, must be time for a new car then.

--------------
Stu
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

The SLAB was before it’s time, just sayin.

--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:16 am The SLAB was before it’s time, just sayin.

Wow, great memory Studly. Even I had to think about that! Sports Loving Aussie Blokes.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

We could rebrand to a SLAB of ARSE :)
I remember the slab too. I think the logo was an 8 pack of beer wasn't it?
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:47 pm We could rebrand to a SLAB of ARSE :)
I remember the slab too. I think the logo was an 8 pack of beer wasn't it?
6 pack from my foggy memory.