Track racing?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I would go apoplectic but I just need to look up what it means... hang on... yes I am :taz: :p

Just last week I had a go in an MX-5 with a massive turbo and that was truly awesome - spinning the wheels in every gear is fun. I couldn't change gears fast enough to keep up with the rate of acceleration.

There's no denying that the stock engine is useless at straight line drags but that's not the point. It's a rev-happy engine and it's a blast dropping it down into corners. It's got just enough power to kick the back end out on request.

I won't go on about how much I love my car but put it this way; I could have sold it to fund our trip to Oz next year, but I've decided to keep it and go hungry instead. :)

Anyway, I've been round Donington in it twice now and it is unbelievably entertaining. Obviously I was getting hammered by pretty much everything on the straights - Donny's a bit big for it in truth - but I really didn't mind because I was having a blast :D

My highly-tuned-Scooby owning mate (who has no fear) was with us on track, and he had quite bad brake fade. The other problem with Scooby's is that, of the 8 with us on the day, none of them made it through the decibel limit tests because they all had big exhausts on. I dunno if it's a problem in Oz, but they're strict on the db limit in the UK because there are always houses near race tracks.

Trackdays are extremely entertaining but you also learn a hell of a lot. For one thing, you realise how futile it is trying to explore a car's limits on public roads. Another thing, because Donington is a nice big circuit, you feel completely safe out there. It's a great feeling heading out of the pits and suddenly realising that you don't have to think about oncoming traffic, speed cameras, children playing in the road etc.
Oggie

Post by Oggie »

I have been sorely tempted to have a go at motorkhana in my 180SX. Lack of money is what is holding me back (I can't even afford the entrance fee!).

I may yet have a bit of a go at the drags one Wed evening, when Kwinana Motorplex hold their "Whoop Ass Wednesdays" (why can't they spell arse right?).
- Peter Ogden
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Im looking for a bit of fun, been tring to save money to have a go at the u-drive thingo in SA, although it proberly would be a waste of maney (then again, maybe not, ne1 got thoughts? http://www.udrivesouthaustralia.com)
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Post by David Piglos Shaw »

I'm a drive a mates Beetle in Autocross, and I reckon you have a lot more fun off the asphalt.
breakneck

Post by breakneck »

A mx5 is going to pull the chicks better than a push bike ;)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

For anyone interested...

Bled the brakes and put the Ferodo DS2500 pads in yesterday.
Used NULON super dot4 brake fluid, will be interesting to see how this performs when i get to the track.

We bed the brakes in around the back-streets.
Stopping power is HUGE.
A massive increase over standard issue pads. Can only imagine what its going to be like once I get the bigger rotors on the front :eyepop:

My dad helped me bed them in (I've never done it before), his neighbour was out the front as we returned, he said to me 'jump on the brakes, we will give Jason a scare'....
were only doing 40k/hr, I jump on the anchors, well bugger me... he nearly went through the windscreen!
And he was ready for the sudden braking manouvre...

A big :yes: for the brakes at this point.

Assuming anyone cares ;)
I'll post up some pics in the new year when I install the new rotors. They should be a tad larger than what i'm running now.
:aussie:

P.S.
My car doens't 'sneeze' when I change gears... Im no ricer :D
Steve
---
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

HAHA, love that last comment. Same with my Pulsar, not going anywhere near rice.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I like Bov's, but only if they are backed with power, plus they do save your turbo
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

nutty wrote:I like Bov's, but only if they are backed with power, plus they do save your turbo
yup, so does a standard BOV without the noise ;)
Steve
---
Oggie

Post by Oggie »

What's wrong with rice? The BOV is about the only bit of rice on my car, but I love it! :D
- Peter Ogden
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

This is a pic of the old girl after some bush bashing :)

Steve
---
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

why cover the plates? how can we report it stolen now?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Nice looking car, I perfer the earlyer models (its like a my98 or somthing right?)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I always cover the plates, you never know who is out there, watching.... :)

Its an MY99 model.
:)
Steve
---
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Just an update for anyone interested.

Phase 2 is now complete, the DBA4000 rotors are installed. Rear swaybar installed... bye bye understeer!
It really is a different car now. It doesnt 'push' halfway round a corner and you can feel the rear of the car digging in.

I have a track day out at Wakefield Park tomorrow, i'm driving down tonight. I cant wait! :D

Tyres aren't much cop, so im not sure how they will go... money is tight, so I'm wearing these out tomorrow and have a set of 16inch standard rims/tyres to put on the car when I get back. Time to start saving for some decent tyres for the 17inch rims.....

We will have transponders in the cars tomorrow, recording each and every lap!

My aim: Beat 1min18. - This was the time set by a Hyundai Tiburon earlier this year... I HAVE to be faster than a Hyundai ;)
Apparently a GOOD driver in a standard rex can run 1min16/1min17.
If I get close I will be very happy!

Will post up some pics when I get back!

Steve :)
Steve
---
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

sounds good :)
have had my rx7 out on the track a few times, though it always needed better pads and fluid and I never gave it any :) I keep meaning to head out to the dirt track at Willowbank for a spin, (even mounted the fire extinguisher so they'd let me on) but never seem to get around to it. Have too much fun on my trailbike, and lfs gives me my 'cornering lines / racing' fix, less motivation these days...
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Just continuing the funny TS session while racing in last nights GTR fun race

Steve, Subaru backwards is? u-r-a-bus :lol:

Other than that, you've got guts taking your only car out on a track and giving it plenty :yes:
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Go the 4AGE!

That is all..
:D
Steve
---
samoo

Post by samoo »

SE1Z wrote:Go the 4AGE!

That is all..
:D
i concur
samoo_
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Well..... Im back!
The car and myself are in one piece, which is better than the last time I went out on the track.. :)

THe brakes held up well, no fade at all.
The tyres though... hmmmm.... they are rooted!
absolutely melted, we had huge chunks of rubber coming off all the way home (~3hrs).

I managed to do a time that I wanted and is quite respectable for a lightly modded WRX around Wakefield Park.
I got a 1min18.2
A GOOD driver in a similarly modded rex can get into the 1min17's - so Im pretty happy with both my time and my car, she's not doing too bad at all, considering I'ts a bees dick away from 160,000kms!

The rear swaybar has to be THE single best mod you can do to a wrx... the car sits a lot flatter and turn is is MUCH better.

Well.... thats my story....
If any shots of my car pop up on the forum ill post them here!

oh.... 1 more thing.... Mitsubishi Evo's....
even a bog standard evo with an average driver can do 1min10's on street tyres o_0
They are weapons!

*edit*
a couple of pics I took....

We stayed at the track, this is the view we had outside the cabin.
Mine and a couple of other cars parked overnight
A few cars in the pits...
Steve
---
SE1Z

An action pic

Post by SE1Z »

Steve
---
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Unreal, must have been a blast!!

Thanks for sharing :D

One day, one day I tell ya!
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

ditto that!
pogo

Post by pogo »

really enjoying this thread, missed it the first time... keep it coming SE1Z :)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Another pic just surfaced....
this is my fav :D

Steve
---