Drift Battles

AustralAsian Drifting forum. LFS drifters.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Hahah :p Prehaps the tag crazn drifto master, that or drift king, tho im sure Tsuchiya will have something to say about it
To clear up some questions,
what happens if the driver in front is in the fz5 and the driver behind is in the XRT. he might have some problems keepsing up. and thanks to this they wont get a good score
I honestly didn’t think of this, I HOPE that drivers wont just take off down the strait and leave the other guys behind Im hoping that they will try and contest it in the corners, when im in a server drifting, if im in the f5z ill generally take it slower along the straits and make sure that ive got the guy right up my ass, but once we hit the corners then its game over, it should be about the speed mid corner, not down the strait. But saying that I doubt that would happed... this is the sorta things we look over after the event, especially if it goes well and we are looking @ a series, perhaps lock it to a single car event.. don’t really know what to do..

Hamal basically summed everything up, I decided not to go with a judges score out of 10 for the first round, I find that its likely to have some issues with keeping the scores constant, it’s the first round, I wanted to follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

To sum up the overtaking thing, you can overtake when sideways you win, but the second you touch the car infront you loose.

by the way, I like how Takumi wasnt the non turbo car.. true jap style =)
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Anyone looking for some drifting advice, drifing in its most basic form :p

"You brake and then turn the wheel, step on the clutch, and pull the e-brake. Release the e-brake, go into countersteer mode, then wait. Wait until you know the car is facing the corner exit direction. then you smile and slam on the gas as you exit the corner." - Keiichi Tsuchiya
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

nutty wrote:I honestly didn’t think of this, I HOPE that drivers wont just take off down the strait and leave the other guys behind Im hoping that they will try and contest it in the corners, when im in a server drifting, if im in the f5z ill generally take it slower along the straits and make sure that ive got the guy right up my ass, but once we hit the corners then its game over, it should be about the speed mid corner, not down the strait. But saying that I doubt that would happed... this is the sorta things we look over after the event, especially if it goes well and we are looking @ a series, perhaps lock it to a single car event.. don’t really know what to do..
I think the biggest problem with this track is the long straight. Going through the first right/left combo and into the corkscrew is fine - shouldn't be much of an advantage (although there is a reason drifters go to turbo's etc). Most drift competitions I've seen involve only a few corners (some as little as three) especially when adapting race-track conditions.

Because of the lack of tracks, I've been experimenting with Auto-X tracks. I have one that I whipped up in BL Carpark (before I realised the autox map is way better for layouts), but it is a low-speed affair and requires a different style. I'll upload a replay when I can figure out my ISP's webspace.

The current one should be fine just as long as the lead car realises that the straight should be treated as an intermission. Don't go dragging off into the distance and hold back for the tail car.
Acerlyte

Post by Acerlyte »

wobblysauce wrote:
Acerlyte wrote:I will pull out guys, throw in Talasas or Wobbly as they are probably actually ABLE to drift unlike me ^_^. Maybe once I can do it alright I might have a go, but in any case I would really like to grab a replay or spectate as it really is fun to watch :)
poor darts man
Eh?

To be honest I only like to do drifting (which, with me behind the wheel, is probably more like power sliding anyway) for a bit of fun. It's looking like this event is getting a little more 'serious' than originally and well I don't want to waste a spot that could go to someone who will have a decent go of it. Much like the Nations Cup thing, I will happily fill a spot if there is no one better to take it :)
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yep, Intermission is a great word!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

or maybe you could help me with the judging? obviously Spoon and nutty can't judge themselves
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

but thats fine.. i would be happy to judge..

*gets red card out.. and starts polishing
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

i was actually asking Acerlyte :D

but its all up to nutty. its his show
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

i put up judging before.. not just now..

but either way. :lol:
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Hey didnt somone say they were gonna do a vid of the event?

Well if they dont want to anymore i could do it :) i got some good ideas and ill make it around 10 - 15 minutes just to quickly wrap up the event for everyone right down to the final

Edit: just thought of a great idea how about everyone post up there favourite song and ill have it play in the backround as you lead ;)
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

PeTeY said he would have a go at one, but im intrested to see what everyone comes up with, im even thinking of having a go myself.

wobblysauce, your more then welcome to judge ;)
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Just so you know, the top two will get instant entry to the drift league that ill be announcing in a few days
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Dang.. i just taught myself how to drift too..lol.... damn the tuesday night thing..lol. cant wait to see a vid or sumthin tho
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

As for the problem with the straight and different powered/classed cars. an xrt vs a fz50 (the easiest cars to drift) is uncompetitive, as the fz50 is way faster. if we have different classed cars racing against each other, I recommend not going by the formal drift rules and instead judge on style / lack of spinning etc, and not by the increased distance due to the different cars.

That said, there's the straight. Is everyone just going to grip and boringly go straight down it towards the final corner?? If the leader simply raced down the straight and the chaser drifted down the straight from side to side, would the chaser be penalised for getting behind, despite having obviously more style?

I was under the impression that longer drifts and links between drifts without driving straight was high scoring.

by the way, I practiced this combo yesterday, and it takes ages to get to the start position. Aston Cadet is much better - maybe for a future combo.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

GustoAU wrote:As for the problem with the straight and different powered/classed cars. an xrt vs a fz50 (the easiest cars to drift) is uncompetitive, as the fz50 is way faster. if we have different classed cars racing against each other, I recommend not going by the formal drift rules and instead judge on style / lack of spinning etc, and not by the increased distance due to the different cars.

That said, there's the straight. Is everyone just going to grip and boringly go straight down it towards the final corner?? If the leader simply raced down the straight and the chaser drifted down the straight from side to side, would the chaser be penalised for getting behind, despite having obviously more style?

I was under the impression that longer drifts and links between drifts without driving straight was high scoring.

by the way, I practiced this combo yesterday, and it takes ages to get to the start position. Aston Cadet is much better - maybe for a future combo.
When was the last time you saw a real drift comp with equally spec'd cars? One problem around this is to simply place a couple of markers at the start and finish of the straight and make this zone non competitive zone, and the only purpose of this zone is to bunch up again, so you dont go competetive again until the straight is finished and make a speed limit of say around 100kph along the straight? easy
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

yeah its fine with equally spec'd cars :) Its just when one has a distinct advantage that poses the problem.

Question - would a fast drift or wide slow drift get more points, or would this depend on whether the other car has a chance to overtake?
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

bloody hell...
didnt realise this was going to be so technical!!!

im just going in it for a laugh, it will be fun. I dont expect to get past round 1 :)
Steve
---
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

lol.. yeah, isnt drifting primarily about fun? different spec cars should be able to compete just fine.... i think Gusto missunderstood me somewhat, i was stating that it is very rare to see equally spec'd cars drift together in real life, i have seen little datsun 120y's drift side by side with a Skyline and keep up just fine, even though the power difference was huge. Basically, It comes down to a little common sense from both drivers. Because even when your leading, a close drift can be worth more points than leaving the opposition behind, the closer the 2 cars together, the closer both their style points climb.
Hamal

Post by Hamal »

Hamal wrote:The current one should be fine just as long as the lead car realises that the straight should be treated as an intermission. Don't go dragging off into the distance and hold back for the tail car.
Here's sort of what I was thinking of. Seems a bit slow and tricky to drift (although that could just be me :P). Figured if I started making tracks on the Auto-X map then I could make the turns a bit bigger.

http://home.wilddsl.net.au/w0893050421/DriftX.spr
samoo

Post by samoo »

may i enter please :)

only just finished exams so havent been checking the forums regularly
samoo_
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

Hz-Lab wrote:even when your leading, a close drift can be worth more points than leaving the opposition behind, the closer the 2 cars together, the closer both their style points climb.
Ahh that makes sense :yes:
Looking forward to the fun!
petey

Post by petey »

On the Topic of Videos, Go for it acer and Nut ;) I'm sure we could all make one.... No 1 person is Locked to doing it :) .
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

gusto.. lets just say.. EA's NFS:U/2 drift comp has more to do with our playing of it then the real D1 rules in scoring

edit: also.. any one up for a bit of judge bribing.. :lol:

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

okay, i've had a thought about the different classes of cars problem. and i have come up with a fairly basic solution

before the pair of drivers first run as an example ill use Hamal and Gusto. the judges will decide who leads. then the driver in this case Hamal, who is leading choose's which car he wishes to drive. then both the driver use Hamal's chosen car.
once they have completed and returned to the start line.
the next driver Gusto can either choose the same car. or a different car
Blitzer

Post by Blitzer »

Righto lads, enough pussy footing around. You want a serious Judge? I'm your man.
I compare drifting to synchronised swimming, only the swimmers would be fat blokes wearing g-strings.

I'd like to judge for 2 reasons:

1. To try to understand how/why/what the attraction is &
2. So I can laugh and make silly comments & generally be a tool

I'd certainly take it serious & try to follow the rules & judge accordingly of course, but perhaps with the "Dicko" attitude.

I won't be around for the 29th, but more than happy to help out any time from Monday 5th of Dec & onwards. :)
[SCR] Blitzer
Southern Cross Racing