To clutch or not to clutch?

GTR1 & 2, GT Legends etc

Autoclutch On or Off?

Autoclutch On
20%
Autoclutch Off - I use a Clutch Pedal or button
50%
Autoclutch Off - No clutch for me, at all, ever.
20%
I suck and don't even have GTL (shame on you)
10%
What's a clutch? Is that where I find a vagina?
No votes

Total votes: 20

Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

To clutch or not to clutch?

Post by Rots »

What are your clutch settings?

I have autoclutch off and nothing mapped for clutch. Yet to have any mechanical failures, but have had some wicked fun compression locks when I forget clutch is off and don't blip when down shifting. :D :D

I've only done 5 lap races, but have done 15 + laps straight in practice without any faults.... does it really matter in GTL if the clutch is on or not then?

I always uplift when shifting and nearly always remember to blip on downshift (heel toe with momo pedals is not the best, but works). I do stall sometimes though, but only if I don't keep the boot into it (after spinning or clipping a wall) or fail to shift into N quick enough when stopping... other than that, it seems to do no damage shifting without the clutch.

Edit: Stupid poll, only 4of5 options showing up. ( :D )

Edit2: Well I deserve stupid of the week... I thought only 4of5 options were working.. turns out Poll Option one was really the Poll Question... LMAO.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I use my clutch pedal for starts and if I decide I want to drive with the shifter in practice or something.

Doesn't seem to cause any damage by not using it unless you keep your foot flat everywhere instead of lifting. Same as GPL really. :tilt:
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

I run autoclutch off and only use my clutch pedal on starts or if i need to give it a kick to get my car into the powerband / spin it round after a big mistake.
Never argue with a idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

no autoclutch here. have a button mapped for flick turns, and thats bout it
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

You can call me a cheat but without a pedal I'm employing autoclutch as my experience with the GTR demo wasn't that fun trying to use a button for a clutch. Although those saying it can be done without using the clutch at all have got me interested in trying since my initial thoughts were just assumptions. I only use the clutch myself when starting or spinning it back around.
Speed

Post by Speed »

I have a clutch pedal & only use it for starts & getting away after spins.
The worst thing about manual clutch is that if you stall the engine, you need to select neutral then push the starter. That seems to take an eternity to get going again, prolly about 30 seconds sometimes I reckon.
Acerlyte

Post by Acerlyte »

Got a working clutch pedal here so no autoclutch for me. That being said I have noticed in these ISI engined sims, asides from spinning and coming to a halt I think you could get away without a clutch at all. I still use the clutch pedal but :)
PoTzy

Post by PoTzy »

No auto clutch for me. I have a clutch pedal and use it for starts and "occasionally" with larger horespower vehicles in the lower gears, specially the 424kw corvette, yeah baby.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Speed wrote:I have a clutch pedal & only use it for starts & getting away after spins.
The worst thing about manual clutch is that if you stall the engine, you need to select neutral then push the starter. That seems to take an eternity to get going again, prolly about 30 seconds sometimes I reckon.
There's some kind of setting somewhere, which will put you in neutral and do the auto restart - still it takes time.

Pretty annoying sometimes. For example you can restart the engine - after spinning with locked wheels - by simply letting the car's momentum help. Not with the aforementioned automatism though...So I switched it off, but it's there somewhere.

What is very interesting, that as many people intstall the game as many different default configs there are...pretty stupid.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

if you have buttons binded to the Starter and Ignition in the settings area, the car won't automatically restart. you have to do it yourself
Speed

Post by Speed »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try that. :yes:
I pull my hair out whenenever I stall, & I don't have any spare.

Edit: Ohhh, that is so much better. Thanks again. :D
fried1968

to auto-clutch or not....that is the question

Post by fried1968 »

I have a clutch mapped to a button....mainly used on starts....i have taught my self to grap the clutch button before it stalls in spins...boot full of throttle helps :D

If it does stall after a crash...the car auto-shifts to neutral (or i have the clutch pressed :D) it starts it self, grab first gear and plant the foot and drop the clutch.....(following this manuver is a couple of 360's...opps forgot to regulate the throttle :D).............I believe (as in gtr also) that if u dont set any keys/buttons for STARTER and IGNITION, the car will auto start, unless u blowd up ya motor, smoke from under the bonnet is generaly evident :D