Cricket.

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Cricket.

Post by Nigel »

I was sitting here melting watching the cricket and they started going on about a "powerplay" What the hell is a powerplay. I have never heard of such a thing in cricket.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Its just somthing they started using in the one day series.

Basically, if you remember back a few years, the first 15 overs a feilding team was only allowed 2 feilders outside the ring area. They changed this, now its mandatory for the first 10 overs to have only 2, then the feilding team are allowed to pick two 5 over spots in which they are only allowed it.

So far I think everytime they pick the 10-15 over, then the 15-20 over, so basically they are just having the first 20 overs now. Just another thing they added to spice it up
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I see. Powerplay does not sound a very "cricketing" term though.
Last edited by Nigel on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Its part of the cricket --> baseball conversion... :shake:

if each team doesnt bat twice "its not cricket" :nod:
eek
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

You know I never thought I would say this. But I prefer Test Match Cricket. The way the one day game is going it will end up a shadow of its former self. Or I should say it is becoming more and more like a video game (note the flashing into of new batsman). There was no "special" name when it was desided that in the first 10 overs you only had two men out side the circle. I don't see why there is the need for one now.

Perhaps I am getting old.
Last edited by Nigel on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
fp

Post by fp »

I agree, calling it a 'powerplay' seems like a bit of an unnecessary gimmick to me, but I still much prefer limited overs cricket. I guess I just don't have the patience to watch a five day test.

That being said, I think that the action recently taken by the ICC to promote and develop the one day game in non-Test playing countires is great. (see http://content.cricinfo.com/other/conte ... 31520.html and http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/columns ... 33145.html)
I look foward to witnessing the Fiji, Cook Islands and Japan play against one another at the Gabba this winter :D
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Who would have thought that the Dutch would go for Cricket.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well, If it wasnt called "PowerPlay" they would've called it something else, Its a play they must nominate, not just a rule, so they had to name it something, imagine the captains walking up to the umpire a saying "Can i call one of those 2 men out the circle thingos thanks". They had to come up with a name, Powerplay is as good as any.

& the little Batter & Bowler intro thingies are great, Look at any other major sporting coverage, they do the same stuff too, its the way television is going and its been heading that way for a long time, And i for one dont think its a bad thing. It helps the average viewer follow the game and being able to immediately identify a batsman coming in who's face you wouldnt normally see under the helmet.

they're bringing in all these new tactics to attract a youth audience to the game to ensure kids keep playing Cricket. Its not tarnishing the image at all, it creates new interest everywhere, If a kid sees a 20/20 or One Day Game & Likes it, chances are within a year or so of following the game he'll take a keen interest in Test Cricket too.

They've done this along with a Live Cricket (i think its Live Cricket..lol) add Campaign because numbers in junior cricket were reducing.

I dont get the people that are like "Test Cricket is the ONLY Cricket", I would of thought people so apparently passionate about the sport would be all for attracting new fans & future players.
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

fourthof5 wrote:Who would have thought that the Dutch would go for Cricket.
English migrants brought sports like cricket, football and rowing to many countries over the past century or so but only the football remained. That's why you still have European and South American football clubs which have a small cricketing and rowing heritage as well.
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Forget cricket when there's a Sharapova v Hantuchova tennis match on. :flash: :gay: :yummy: :hyper:
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Bacchulum wrote:Forget cricket when there's a Sharapova v Hantuchova tennis match on. :flash: :gay: :yummy: :hyper:
Amen Brother.... :yes:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

bring back harkleroad
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I think they're doing the right thing. The whole 1 day thing was derived so that people who weren't interested in a 5 day match could get into the game. If these new additions increse interest then it's a good thing in my opinion :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Watching this series so far, apart from when Sri Lanka flogged us the other night, it seems like the powerplays are allowing the opening batsman to take it a bit easier early on. Every captain seems to use them straight up so essentially the first 20 overs now have the field up. I'm not real sure yet but it seems like maybe they figure they don't have to explode straight away, maybe take five overs to get in and then they've still got 15 overs to cut loose.

Anyway I didn't see much wrong with one dayers necessitating a few rule changes, at least until some captains start experimenting the powerplays seem pretty pointless and the super sub rule is totally flawed when you have to choose them before the toss.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I think they should change the power play rules so that 1 set can be taken whenever they want.. and the the other set has to be taken after Over 25. That way, we'd see bigger scores, bigger hitting, tighter bowling etc etc.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

matticooper wrote:I think they should change the power play rules so that 1 set can be taken whenever they want.. and the the other set has to be taken after Over 25. That way, we'd see bigger scores, bigger hitting, tighter bowling etc etc.
That's not a bad idea, I like that :)
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Let the batting team call the power plays. :p
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

heres a thought. let the fielding team bowl and field however they like, make it up to the batting team to get the ball to a potentially protected boundary. Maybe even go to the extreme of not limiting the amount of overs but set a time limit perhaps. maybe 5 days?? then even let each team bat twice if time permits. Dunno what you would call it though. Cricket maybe??

:rolleyes:
--------------
Stu
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

heres a thought. let the fielding team bowl and field however they like, make it up to the batting team to get the ball to a potentially protected boundary. Maybe even go to the extreme of not limiting the amount of overs but set a time limit perhaps. maybe 5 days?? then even let each team bat twice if time permits. Dunno what you would call it though. Cricket maybe??

And i supose you would make them all wear white's too?
get with the times it's 2006 not 1900
Life is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you're made of.
You only need two tools.WD-40 and Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

If anyone is paying attention to the cricket now, I think well find all is well and good. 434 fark me. It looks like SA might even hunt the runs down. WTF
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I am going to have 1 hell of a rant in the morning about this. See the SLAB for details.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Wow... Simply amazing. Best ODI in history and we lost :faint:

I was laughing when we got to 300 with 10 overs to go... 434 was simply amazing. Then SA came out swinging and that smile on my face slowly turned upside down... they where constantly getting boundry's and 8 - 9 / over. I thought we could do it, heck they still needed 9 an over the whole match. But then they showed the "worm" graphs... SA was always a good 40 run infront, at one point it was 60 I believe. Then Brachen dropped Gibbs on 130, Gibbs then slaughtered us and ended up belting 175 off 111. Boucher played a great knock as well, kept the boundries coming.

Then it went something like this;

36 off 21 balls

30 from 18 balls
26 from 17 balls
20 from 15 balls
17 from 13 balls
13 from 12 balls

(17 off that Mick Lewis over !!!)

Wicked catch from Hussey. 423 - 8 need 12 from 10

9 from 8 balls
7 from 6 balls
6 from 5 balls

Lee got pegged on the foot saving 4 runs.

2 off 4 balls

"OMFG WICKET"

2 off 3 balls

1 from 2 balls

SA win by 4 runs with 1 wicket and 1 ball to spare.

I fell really bad for Mick Lewis tho. 113 runs off 10 overs (new WR for worst ever). He had 5 overs where he got knocked for 17 / 18 runs.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!!! how could we lose ?!

This is just like the Ashes, some stupidly exciting match in which it comes down to one run and we lose. The games are scripted I tells ya !!111
Tracker

Post by Tracker »

So glad i watched it definatly the best game ever
what a mix of emotions cheering and joy 1 sec tears the next
Life is like a grindstone - whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you're made of.
You only need two tools.WD-40 and Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.