rfactor should i buy??

ISI's new sim rFactor
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sterling, while I agree with most things about the design/gfx/sounds there's a few things I have different opinion of.
Sterling wrote:-Not completely sure if the turn point of the car is at the front wheels, its as if the turn centre is more towards where the driver is sitting which means it is just not quite right for hitting apexs and gives a slight impression of gliding etc. In LFS I find that I go wide of the apexes but with rF I find I'm cutting them too much.
I don't think it has anything to do with 'turning points' - it has 4 wheels to connect to the road...altho...lfs has a tendency to loose the rear very easily... anyway, I certainly could not feel any gliding-kind of thing, but it may be the force feedback giving strange impressions for you :)
Sterling wrote:-The interface is just atrocious - its ugly, its clumsy and just plain confusing - really shows how clever the LFS GUI is - something I took for granted. The screens feel all over complicated and crowded when they don't need to be, its just not intuitive. Time to fire the designer and artist!
The lfs interface is very bad. You can't find anything, but at least it's quick. This one's bad too, but differently.
With the grouping it'd be ok if it wasn't a new screen and heaps of wait every time you click... and the same goes for GTL. I'd kick that guy in the balls who designed it. Getting to the settings should be one-click from anywhere.
Sterling wrote:-The force feedback feels unusual, I still haven't found a setting that suits me in terms of strength and forces, the forces when the wheel is straight are very light and then get progressively harder as you turn the wheel but the force strength doesn't seem to adjust to whats happening to the front tyres. I probably still need to play with this.
Probably part of this feeling is that you get feedback from the wole car in gmotor2 not just the front wheel.
Sterling wrote:-Its the same engine as GTR(I didn't know this) so if you have played GTR you will have some idea how the cars will feel.
It's just plain wrong. It has a different game engine. It's very different to drive too. If you remember GTR as anything similar, just start it and test it out again. You'll be very much surprised I think.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Sterling wrote:-The force feedback feels unusual, I still haven't found a setting that suits me in terms of strength and forces, the forces when the wheel is straight are very light and then get progressively harder as you turn the wheel but the force strength doesn't seem to adjust to whats happening to the front tyres. I probably still need to play with this.
ysu wrote:Probably part of this feeling is that you get feedback from the wole car in gmotor2 not just the front wheel.
I'd be interested to know what wheel and FF settings you have..........
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sterling wrote:
ysu wrote:Probably part of this feeling is that you get feedback from the wole car in gmotor2 not just the front wheel.
I'd be interested to know what wheel and FF settings you have..........
It's a DFP, but damn if I can recall what have I changed.
I was ok with the FF without the changes too, it takes a bit of getting used to in my opinion. I know that first it was totally alien. :)

It's not that good or realistic I admit, but I do know what's happening with the car (or at least I think so, hehe). Probably because the included rear-wheel ff.
petey

Post by petey »

the rFactor menus are slow, and its so annoying testing settings to have to change, go to test, load track, drive a bit, pit, leave (5mins), settings(2mins), change what yo uthink, go back in......

LFS is extremely quick, if it wasn't so spread out then it would be cluttered guys, can't have it both ways, once you've looked around for a few mins you know where everything is so whats to worry :/
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

PeTeY wrote:the rFactor menus are slow, and its so annoying testing settings to have to change, go to test, load track, drive a bit, pit, leave (5mins), settings(2mins), change what yo uthink, go back in......

LFS is extremely quick, if it wasn't so spread out then it would be cluttered guys, can't have it both ways, once you've looked around for a few mins you know where everything is so whats to worry :/
Took a lot longer than a few minutes for me to find stuff. And I remember being online once with some of the SCR guys once and asked where to find something and they ummed and ahhed and someone had to go check for me. The game is incredibly customisable from within the options screens (rF and other ISI games do their thing from the .plr file) but it is a mess to find things. Certainly for a casual user of the game.

But, like I said, I do agree with how great it is being able to see all changes straight away. :tilt:
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

OK well I sorted out the FF, I finally found out I had to reverse the strength the get the correct forces on my MOMO, so now I get good wheel resinstance and can feel bumps but.................no matter how much I play with the settings I can not get a decent feedback with regards to oversteer or understeer, its almost a guessing game..........
ysu wrote: It's just plain wrong. It has a different game engine. It's very different to drive too. If you remember GTR as anything similar, just start it and test it out again. You'll be very much surprised I think.
I'm not so sure I agree with you, I can feel/see a lot of similarities between the two, heck even the cockpit look/replay system/damage model are the same.

Are you completely sure this isn't an updated GTR engine?......In the process of searching for a decent FF result I found all the forums talking about using settings for FF from GTR and if you compare the file/directory layouts of the installs they are very similar.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

They have certainly built things around the same framework/structure. Sometimes even the same bugs are in, so it looks that it's definitely not a complete rebuild, I admit.
That a cockpit looks the same - They might have used some 3d models, I can only agree that the rf base content was made with minimal effort, I don't like it too much.

The driving experience tho - for me - feels far superior to GTR. Graphics engine is definitely different too. But yeah, some things are very similar to the old motor. (see the old 'skip section' bug for one) and it seems that the netcode is different too - but still far from LFS's stability and reliability, especially in GTL (altho it seems GTL uses much the old one net code from GTR, maybe patched up)

FF: I'm sorry, I never thought you'll be caught out by this old 'reverse FF' trick of theirs...I should have asked, it has gotten a few of us along the path.
It's just as soon as I started to play It was (to me) plain that the FF is reverse...:shrug:

Have fun!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sterling wrote:but.................no matter how much I play with the settings I can not get a decent feedback with regards to oversteer or understeer, its almost a guessing game..........
LOL. I feel the same about LFS. Could just be what we're used to. :tilt:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

STEVE WHITTY HAS SOME GOOD FF SETTINGS>>>>

STEVE YOU THEIR<<<<<<<<
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Exar Kun wrote:
Sterling wrote:but.................no matter how much I play with the settings I can not get a decent feedback with regards to oversteer or understeer, its almost a guessing game..........
LOL. I feel the same about LFS. Could just be what we're used to. :tilt:
hehe, interesting. I can feel both to an extent ... I can't really feel when LFS looses the end, only when it has already happened, and by then it's usually too late for anything but wide 'saving manouvers' - heavy counter-steer & praying usually. No little correction helps.
But it takes time to get used to both, when switching from one to the other :)

What I really like in the GTR/rF/GTL is that you get a decent basic set, and you can only mess it up so much. You can set the car to under/oversteer, bit harder, and so on, but it's a great start that basic set, fairly easy to get the car handle as you want it to. And because of these limits everybody is using pretty much the same, there are far smaller differences in the laptimes caused by setups.

What I really hate is the netcode/chat/file sharing and the persistent old bugs :)

Other thing I hate is the countless user-built extensions/upgrades/whatnot, which are sometimes good sometimes bad, but each has a number of versions, upgrades itself, creating a fair mess which is not handled centrally somewhere but rather on a number of volunteer sites...if it had a correct versioning/checking/central handling it'd be great. The way it is...not so great. Too many meddlers. :nod:
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

The more I play it, the more I like it, hopefully they will sort out the oversteering/unsteering FF, its doesn't seem to be just my problem by reading the various forums. The F3 feels really good...... it skips and twitches as it should but is not radiculous in its oversteer, the ability to add on tracks/cars is excellent and you know they will always be updated and added too by the community. Its growing on me..................... :nod:
petey

Post by petey »

Yea it grew on me till it froze my computer and removed my windows boot sector :eyepop: :melt:

Although i assume it is because mine is cracked, and i was using the PCC mod, the crack is rather odd with mods, doing funny things like if the pcc mod was selected when i quit, it will load up as a demo.

Took alot of nagging to get my mums credit card to buy lfs so i'm not going to waste my time :p
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

PeTeY wrote:Yea it grew on me till it froze my computer and removed my windows boot sector :eyepop: :melt:

Although i assume it is because mine is cracked, and i was using the PCC mod, the crack is rather odd with mods, doing funny things like if the pcc mod was selected when i quit, it will load up as a demo.

Took alot of nagging to get my mums credit card to buy lfs so i'm not going to waste my time :p
Just a thought
With the time you wasted on getting the crack then reinstalling the windows you could have worked a few hours and bought a full version.
It'd have been better for the developers & for you as well...
petey

Post by petey »

Well if it was as simple as paying cash i wouldn't have to worry, the trouble is my mum is the only one in the family who has a credit card, and she doesn't like online trading :melt: , i realise there are other ways of doing it but they all take time to, and from playing rFactor its not good enough for me to spend that time ;) .