Star Wars: The Final Dip.

Chat about stuff you've seen
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Star Wars: The Final Dip.

Post by Nigel »

I have lost count of how many versions I have of the original trilogy. But the one thing I wanted most of all, was the one thing denied to me. The original unedited trilogy on DVD. I had voed not to do the star wars dip again. But this is it. IT is what we all wanted in the first place, and I will dip again... for the final time.
-------------------------------------------------------

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.
See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.
This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

I not so long ago bought the trilogy on DVD and I was expecting that after not seeing them for many years that the they would look rather dated, to my suprise they still stack up really well(especially EP 5&6) and if anything they the make EP 1,2 & 3 look way 'overdone' and not believable.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Oh god he's taking even more money from me. Awesome news. I missed out on the original releases on video so this means I'll have 4 versions.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Sterling wrote:I not so long ago bought the trilogy on DVD and I was expecting that after not seeing them for many years that the they would look rather dated, to my suprise they still stack up really well(especially EP 5&6) and if anything they the make EP 1,2 & 3 look way 'overdone' and not believable.
Agree.
ISTR some trivia fact like ep1 only having 15 minutes of footage with no computer effects in. I think they went a bit over the top too.

Be nice to see Jabba as a fat Glaswegian bloke in a wooly coat again though.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Big Kev wrote:
Sterling wrote:I not so long ago bought the trilogy on DVD and I was expecting that after not seeing them for many years that the they would look rather dated, to my suprise they still stack up really well(especially EP 5&6) and if anything they the make EP 1,2 & 3 look way 'overdone' and not believable.
Agree.
ISTR some trivia fact like ep1 only having 15 minutes of footage with no computer effects in. I think they went a bit over the top too.

Be nice to see Jabba as a fat Glaswegian bloke in a wooly coat again though.
That was never in the original release though was it? Wasn't that scene pulled out of storage, CG'd and put in for 97 special edition?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Pretty sure it was but I might be wrong.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

What a rip! All they are doing is using the 1993 Laserdisc Transfers.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Jamo wrote:What a rip! All they are doing is using the 1993 Laserdisc Transfers.
They know millions of people will buy them regardless (including me) so it doesn't matter to them.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Picked Star Wars up today. I am a kid in a lolly shop :D
"I have been waiting for you DVD. The circle is now complete."

Ah man I am geeking baddly.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

So these are the dvds I saw in the newsagency here in japan!

yeah, these are just the laserdisc versions on dvd. From the laserdisc copy I have (ripped to dvd), its slightly blurrier and has a golden hue to it due to the aging of the film when it was digitised (which gives it a warm and happy feeling). The special editions in comparison look dark and blue (cold and stale). I have to say they went a bit overboard with the colour balance adjustment in the special editions.