ADSL2 Modem?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
SE1Z

ADSL2 Modem?

Post by SE1Z »

Can anyone recommend a decent adsl2 modem? Not wireless, also must be a 4-port.

My only real requirement is good management of port-forwarding (a description of the forwarded port in the modem setup screen would be nice)... i'd like to be able to forward a few ports and not hit my modems limit, i know a few modems only let you forward so many, but i'd like this number to be higher, rather than lower.

Im using a netcomm NB1300 Plus4 atm for my adsl1 which is quite nice, it has all of the above, bar the port forward desriptions.

Cheers,
Steve :)
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Any of the Billion 740X series are good for ADSL2+, can't vouch for their ADSL2+ compatibility as I don't have access to it here, but they can't be too bad since Internode has picked them up to supply them to customers.

Firmware updates occur regularly as well with the Billion gear as well.

Don't go for the 720x or 730x series though, they use a different brand of chipset and in my opinion they were crap when they released them and I doubt much has changed with them.

The 740x series also allow you to enter your own description for port forwards.

If you need some screenies of a Billion router, let me know, using a 7500GL here. I can send a pic of the port forwards section since that hasn't changed in years.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Yeah, I quite like the Billion 7402 I have now. I compared it to a Linksys model and found it to have a bit faster sync speed. The interface can be a little daunting to an inexperienced user (firewall, virtual server etc), but once you understand what's going on, you'll be better off for it.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

sounds good...
if you could post a pic of the port forward screen shonky, that would be great :)
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Here they are.

This screen is some port forwards I have setup already.

This one shows the port forward creation page.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

cheers shonky :)
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

SE1Z. Check this out. http://ozcableguy.com/tech/7402/index.html

You can take the Billion user interface for a test drive so to speak.
SE1Z

question re: Billion Modems

Post by SE1Z »

*sorry to dig up such an old thread*

I have signed up for DSL Direct with Optus.
its *finally* time to buy a modem.

Hoping you guys can help...

Looking to go Billion.

Im not sure if Optus DSL direct is adsl2, or adsl2+ - there is nothing on their webpage either :/

I have found this modem "Billion BiPAC 7404VGP VOIP ADSL2+"
http://www.billion.com.au/product/voip/bipac7404vgp.php
seems to be the bee's knees... is it overkill?

My needs are:
3-4ports
wireless not req'd, but would be good for future upgrade
MUST be good quality, ie: not prone to drop outs etc...

Any help appreciated.
:)
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

A mate of mine has one of those and uses the VoIP all the time, haven't heard any complaints from him about it.
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

I just purchased one myself a few weeks ago for the Nodephone. It's pretty solid except for the wireless which is quite disappointing and apparently I'm not the only one suffering according to Whirlpool and the Billion forums themselves.

I don't claim to be an expert but my previous two wireless routers that were placed in the same spot did not have any sort of signal drop off the Billion had. Technical support is mostly a case of going through the motions or the "did you update to the latest firmware?".

The new firmware helps (such as boosting the power for the wireless at the cost of possibly losing sync with the ADSL) but what ended up doing the trick was to buy a new antenna (the one that comes with it is supposedly underpowered according to various forums). If you have continuous problems this was what was recommended to me and although possibly overkill, has worked solidly for about 2 weeks to for me: http://www.techtopia.com.au/product_inf ... ts_id/1082 the connection is rgSMA-m.

Hope that helps.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

is there a better option from billion that isnt wireless?
Steve
---
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Probably not, since the wireless component of the router is probably one of the cheapest parts, they tend to add wireless support to everything. If you don't need wireless you can always disable it in the control panel.

Otherwise you could go the 7402R2, no wireless support, but I have no idea on pricing, its aimed at business use with extensive support for VPN networks so it could cost more than the 7404VGP.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

bought the 7404VGP
wont get to try it until the end of the month though.... :)
Steve
---