Le Tour De France

CyclARSEts talk in here.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Le Tour De France

Post by nutty »

Well, here we go again, another great sporting event comming up, SBS have decided to run all the stages live for the first time, and its a pity that im working this year and wont see many/any, tho ill be watching the 6pm highlight show every night.

Anyone else into it? Ive watched it for a large number of years now after my old man put me onto it, its a fantastic spectical, it HAS to be the most physically induring sport around, and these guys go nuts.

It will be intresting to see what happens without lance, for the last 7 years you just expect him to win but now without the pressue of Lance, I can see Urlich taking his first win.

Also noticed this today.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200606/s1672503.htm

So it looks like its down to Basso and Urlich, hopefully with a good showing from Evens for the Aussies, and once again we should be in witha good chance with our few green jursey hopefulls :)
pab

Re: Le Tour De France

Post by pab »

Yep, I have loved watching it ever since I was in Ireland during the 1990 tour, saw the stages live on TV over there, and have been hooked ever since.

A few things, if Ulrich were to win it would be his second, he won in 1997. I agree it it seems to be mostly between Ulrich and Basso, probably leaning more towards Ulrich at this stage because this tour is a little light on for mountain stages compared to previous years (and definately compared to this years Giro d'Italia, which was won by Basso), meaning that the time trials (Ulrich's speciality) will have more influence. A good preview of the races main chances can be found at cycling news

Sad to see all of the doping stuff going on. Many riders say that events like the tour are just too hard for a clean rider to compete in, making them feel like they need the drugs just to be able to take part rather than needing them to win. Acusations flying everywhere at the moment, we of course will never know what is truth and what is not. Despite all that I still love to watch, enhanced or not, these are still no doubt the greatest athletes in the world.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

Actually Ullrich has already won the Tour de France back in 1997, the first German to do so.

I thought SBS showed all the stages live last year too as I remember seeing quite a bit of it late at night. There's no way they can possibly start coverage from the very start (except time trials) because most stages go for hours.

Always been very interesting for me and should be even more without Lance as you said. Italians always throw up a big name recently before it starts but apart from Marco Pantani, they have so far failed to impress.

What's interesting for us is the fight for the green jersey as we've got a few, especially Robbie McEwan, who can win it. Cadel Evans is possibly our best hope in the overall classification.

Interesting sport and a picturesque setting make it worth watching despite the time.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Re: Le Tour De France

Post by Nigel »

nutty wrote:Well, here we go again, another great sporting event comming up, SBS have decided to run all the stages live for the first time, and its a pity that im working this year and wont see many/any, tho ill be watching the 6pm highlight show every night.
Ummmmm, the stages were live last year too.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Only some wasnt it 4ourthof5? I forgot about Ullrich win in the TDF, he was such a powerhouse back then.

But, this years TDF has been thrown on its head only a day before the start of the race

Ullrich, Basso and the whole Astana team (formerly Liberty Seguros) who features high overall chance Vinokourov have been thrown out of drug suspicions.

Crazy news, I honsatlly just cant beleve it. Prehaps Australia has a hope now :S

Links.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200607/s1676265.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200606/s1676105.htm

Prologe starts tonight @ 10pm on SBS :)
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

My understanding was that the teams withdrew them.... but all the same... the whole race is being turned upside down... very very interesting none the less.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Did anyone watch stage one throughtout and after the F1?

Robbie had a puncher early on then a crash 20km out and he still won the stage. It was great to watch.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I forgot about the F1, and watched the TDF :s
He did fantastic, looks like he is going to have a solid tour
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Yep, watch the TDF every year. Robbie is a freak in the sprints. He really has it over the rest of the sprinters.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

drug test every single one of the riders a week before the race.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

They did. The one poor bastard that got caught, didn't really do anything wrong. The dude was an asmatic and is allowed to use 1000miligrams of asma spray. He had 1200 in his system but that was due to the day being cold he didn't sweat as much as usual so some stayed in his system.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

The Australians are falling left and right. Stuart O'Grady 8 broken ribs, a broken shoulder and a punctured lung (must have been a hell of a crash) Michael Rogers crashed while leading the overall race, then rode 25k with a dislocated shoulder before pulling out. AND Robby McKewan fails to finish inside the allotted time.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Today was the day I was waiting for. Evens and Rogers had a great shot at placing on the podium if they could get into a good breakaway in the alps. Rogers was doing an awesome job. And O'Grady has been riding like a deamon all tour. He's in great form. Pitty about McKewan though, kind of saw it comming though, he hasn't been riding like himself since his crash.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Michael Rogers will wake up in years to come and have nightmares about yesterday...

With the most open tour in years, it is possible that with a bit of a support from his team, the win was possible.

it is such a shame, and watching it last night I was feeling sick, so I can only image how bad his guts are churning today...

One last chance, if Cadel gets the offset for all the luck that deserted the others, maybe he has a chance... considering some of the other big guns stumbled, it is so open...

As much as I consider Lance the most inspirational character to walk the planet, it was a bit funny tuning in each year waiting for when he will take the lead... not if.

it is cool to be watching something with almost no idea who will eventually win... roll on hte next two weeks :)
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

bengatta wrote:it is cool to be watching something with almost no idea who will eventually win... roll on hte next two weeks :)
And even then still not knowing months later if they actually did win it ala Floyd Landis.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Scuderia_Alan wrote:
bengatta wrote:it is cool to be watching something with almost no idea who will eventually win... roll on hte next two weeks :)
And even then still not knowing months later if they actually did win it ala Floyd Landis.
Excellent point... maybe in the next couple of weeks we can find out who won the last two tours??? :)
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Cadel Evens is now into forth. He's riding really well. Hopefully a good timetrial will await him in the upcomming days.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Cadel has an excellent chance... maybe the best aussie chance ever. A good time trial, a half decent run in the final bumps, and it is an excellent chance.

Not bad for a bit of a mountain biker :)

Although it is funny to hear them say after the tour Rasmussen is looking to get back on a mountain bike to chase Olympic Gold...

The old road racers must be turning in their graves... :)

"Go Cadel" :aussie2:
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

He's TDF number is fantastic. He's a garrenteed winner :D
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

I.m trying not to get too excited, but I get this feeling Cadel is on for the win... If he does, i hope this country makes him a superstar the likes of Ian Thorpe...

Whatever happens now, he has done himself proud...

Is anybody else enjoying the event overall like I am, some of the most post card perfect scenery this world has... and good old fashioned tough sports contest....
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

It's also still the most open in years. There's about 10 riders that could still win it.

Cadel has the ability but that's not enough. The question has been raised on whether his teammates are capable of defending him if he manages to grab the yellow jersey. Much of the advice is that he should hold off trying to take and establish any sort of lead until closer to the end so the team doesn't crack trying to defend him for too many stages.

To pick amongst a number of amazing stories has to be Vinokourov continuing and even getting himself back into contention despite all the stitches in his knees and elbows.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

agreed, that is why I get the feeling that the plan will be to just stay in touch over the next few days bumps, then there is one more time trial to take the win... then it is the relative cruise into Paris giving his team half a chance of pulling it off.

Also agreed, I would not be unhappy if Vinokourov wins... just be happier if Cadel wins :)

not sure there are 10 left, before yesterday yes, but I think Mayo and Valverde have taken themsleves out of the hunt now, and Astana are going to have to pick one of teh top 3 at some point... Also Discovery will have to also... Contador may not win in 2007, but sometime in the next 3 years has is all but a certainty... what a find.

Why is it I get the sinking feeling that the result of the 2007 might not be for a while either... Some sad emerging stories around the leader in the last few days, and the part where the race director alledgedly indicating had he known about this prior to the start he would not have accepted his entry is most concerning...

be nice for just one year this event go off without any drug issue... :(
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Cadel (what a crap name that is) is still in the hunt, but cracked a bit last night. He will have to win the time trial I think now, and with Vanakorov pretty much gone, he is in a good spot to do that.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

fourthof5 wrote:Cadel (what a crap name that is) is still in the hunt, but cracked a bit last night. He will have to win the time trial I think now, and with Vanakorov pretty much gone, he is in a good spot to do that.
Got 5 letters in it, and ends in "el" right up there with all the other crap names like that i guess :) :) :)

Remember, you walked right into that one.... :)

Still two days to go in the bumpy bits, and it will all be planned out, not sure anybody would plan all 3 days at the top, it will hinge around how well he is feeling in the mornings, and what sort of recovery is needed to make an extreme effort in the next time trial. Still lots of possibilities yet...

No doubt Rasmussen is teh favourite now, and I suspect Leipheimer is almost equal favourite, as he can get his lacky contador to fall on his sword over the next two days to smash the race apart...

I am amost certain team DSC have already had a chat with him... You help us get Levi the win, and your turn will come within two years...

That doesn't mean my heart has shifted, there is a reality, but I still hope Cadel can fluke the bizz :)