What is rFactor?

ISI's new sim rFactor
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

What is rFactor?

Post by Righteous »

Just wondering about this lately. Is rFactor a single player game with multiplayer options or vice versa? What is the single player AI like?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Multiplayer based, but does have seasons and the like for off-line. The AI are compeditive but still a bit daft. Watch out for rear-end hits. Try the demo out, i think that has the single-player element covered (the new one)
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Pretty good now I reckon...

Mods like PCC and Megane are great to run against...
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

The whole online experience with rFactor is pretty piss poor in my opinion, as far as pick-up races go anyway. It's practice, practice, practice....never any bloody racing which is what I thought racing sims were all about. The AI isn't bad and I have found them to be better behaved than most of the mortal racers :nod: I think those in clubs/leagues like ASRG or AoR will have a different opinion though...something I'll look into shortly, but for me at the moment its Euronoobs galore :eek: :D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Enforcer-J wrote:I think those in clubs/leagues like ASRG or AoR will have a different opinion though
unfortunately they cost money, whereas in LFS the community is provided with a wide variety of servers to use for free. for which im rather grateful
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

r8response wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote:I think those in clubs/leagues like ASRG or AoR will have a different opinion though
unfortunately they cost money, whereas in LFS the community is provided with a wide variety of servers to use for free. for which im rather grateful
but then there is Austeam Racing (membership full at the moment) and Ausfactor to name just 2 who are not pay to race. And there are more if you look.

:yes:
--------------
Stu
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Bauer wrote:
r8response wrote:
but then there is Austeam Racing (membership full at the moment) and Ausfactor to name just 2 who are not pay to race. And there are more if you look.

:yes:
but im lazy :nod:
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Enforcer-J wrote:I think those in clubs/leagues like ASRG or AoR will have a different opinion though...something I'll look into shortly, but for me at the moment its Euronoobs galore :eek: :D
Hold your breath just alittle while longer. I sent an email to pixel about the posibalitiy of getting an rF league going last week. Just waiting upon a reply.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

hint hint :D

I'm not really looking to join a league or series to compete in as such but more like an ARSE/LFS environment where I know I can find guys to race against in pick-up races. Ofcourse, the presence of a league would help :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Honestly I've plenty of problems with rF. I haven't played with it before the patch for a long time - I can't be bothered to filter out the quality user-addons from the pile of crap.

Now I've installed the patch, and there's heaps of new content, good offline fun, but frequent bsod, lost settings, hangups & strange behaviour...all kinds of shit. The rsc forum technical dept is pretty busy with bug reports too...
Previous race my car was going like it had a turbo...I was 3 sec faster on the oval then the rest of the pack (on 105% difficulty) and the car was hitting the rev limit all the time in top gear :D After a reset with a bsod it corrected itself.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

The speed bug! I didn't think it was still in the ISI engine.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

First time I've heard anyone say it's in rFactor.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

ysu wrote:Honestly I've plenty of problems with rF. I haven't played with it before the patch for a long time - I can't be bothered to filter out the quality user-addons from the pile of crap.

Now I've installed the patch, and there's heaps of new content, good offline fun, but frequent bsod, lost settings, hangups & strange behaviour...all kinds of shit. The rsc forum technical dept is pretty busy with bug reports too...
Previous race my car was going like it had a turbo...I was 3 sec faster on the oval then the rest of the pack (on 105% difficulty) and the car was hitting the rev limit all the time in top gear :D After a reset with a bsod it corrected itself.
Your machine sounds very ill!!
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Rfactor doesnt cope very well with overclocked CPU's or Graphics cards.
That can cause the "speed up" bug.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Sterling

Post by Sterling »

The latest patch for rF in my opinion has been a huge step forward in terms of features, stablity and performance, the FFB is remarkably improved, I'm getting much higher, smoother and more consistant frames rates, also most of the quality mods and tracks work fine or were patched quite quickly. I also find the offline racing against a few AI while doing a bit of practice is quite fun.

The one thing I am dissappointed with is the network prediction code of the other mulitplayer cars, the cars move about, turn and twist at odd angles in a very unrealistic way, as if not connected to the track at all, its not so apparent from the driving view but in the replays it looks very ordinary and kills a bit of the experience for me......but perhaps its just my network settings or the servers I'm playing on.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Woodee wrote:Your machine sounds very ill!!
It may sound so...but the interesting thing is that only rF causes the symptoms, nothing else. I'm working on it, 24/7, I've played numerous games on it....
So I'm very much inclined to put this on rf's doorstep.

by the way on the FF front: many of you complimented on GTR2 FF - let me tell you guys, we've compared, and the GTR2 uses the _exact_same_ FF settings as GTL !
Yet many of you said GTL FF is not-so-good....funny eh?
rF imho is a bit behind where it comes to FF, probably due to the lack of wheel-type specific FF.

Edit: cutter you may be onto something, I've oc'ed the CPU about 10% as a test a little while ago - seems totally stable tho. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?