Interview with Devs

LFS chat
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

not sure if I was misunderstood or you guys are making seperate points - but having a controller for weight shift is totally unrealistic, (ie, not at all how you control it in real life) thus I don't see that you can accurately simulate riding.
TassieDevil_Original

Post by TassieDevil_Original »

pogo wrote:I've got a dual-shock style controller for the PC... one stick for wheel movement, one stick for changing the rider's weight-distribution... not really ideal tho, lacks accuracy...

Here's a thought... what if a modular wheel were designed; you can remove the wheel itself off of the base and replace it with handlebars w/throttle/brake/clutch. The base has some sort of mechanism that allows the wheel/bars to move up and down and be locked in, so that theyre at the right angle. The left pedal transforms into a motorbike style gearbox, we may need magic for this part.
I had a wheel that transformed into motorcycle bars or a plane style yoke, it was probably about 10 years ago though and very toy like, it didn't last me very long, I think from memory I went through about three within the warranty before I told them I wanted my money back and then bought a more expensive wheel..

Tassie
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Sorry to bump up such an old thread but...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/ ... ndprix.jpg
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

any information to add to that?
just looks like a cruel photoshop. you can even see double skidmarks off the start line where cars have spun their wheels...
It's been nice, chaps.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

J_luo88 wrote:Sorry to bump up such an old thread but...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/ ... ndprix.jpg
:rofl: then it should be called "Live For MotoGP" :p
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

lol =]
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

wow still looks effing good!
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

For those that actually want a bike sim, there is one in development by an indy developer. What I've seen of it looks pretty good but I'm not sure what the plan is with regards to getting it released.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

dont know the dev doing it? i'd be interested...
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I know, but it's not my place to tell. :tilt:

It could already be public for all I know but I haven't been keeping up with the scene in the last couple of months.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
avaran

Post by avaran »

I've been thinking of this for a long time... you really need the bars, and to be able to lean, not only laterally, but longitudally as well. I was thking just a little pad (could be shaped like abike seat I guess) that you sit on, barts could be connected, or bolted to the desk as well. Then the pad would roll with and sense your movements.

Think of a wii controller, or a ps3 controller, they all do it, just not layed out to accomodate being sat on with the thumb stick shaped as a set of bars in front of you! ;P

I've even thought of a free standing thing as well, with some sort of gyro keeping the bike vertical (and hopefully self righting with a bit of help from leaning) I don't know if that would work?

Maybe even something looking like a mechanical bull, with force feedback? Haha

I'd pay $500 plus for a decent controller that does all that, plus front and rear brake, throttle, clutch, gear shifter etc.

And then I'd pay $100 for a sim that puts it all together well! :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Can't see it happening though. $500 buys you didly squat in the world of high end sim car racing gear let alone something in a genre with very little interest.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I may be wrong but I remember reading that even though you counter steer on a bike to turn, the bikes wheel still actually turns into the turn, at most your only decreasing the amount of lock at the front and never actually have a situation where the wheel has opposite lock. Like I say I could be wrong and someone more knowledgeable might correct me but the point I'm making is, if I'm correct imagine how incredibly difficult it would be to incorporate that into a controller and have it feel as natural as it does on the bike.
Rypien

Post by Rypien »

I'm not into bikes by any means, but Tourist Trophy by PD on the Playstation 2 was a pretty good ride with a dual shock controller.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I remember back to the old days if "Superbike" and "GP 500" by Melbourne house. I actually found them pretty enjoyable with a joystick. In the end I think it's more about a game reacting how you would expect that makes it realistic, not so much what you control it with. If a game make sense in it's handling then I can enjoy most games. It's when they seem to do something different even if you provide the same input, that I get a bit shitty. Or something like ridge racer where you start drifting at four billion mile and hour and it's normally the fastest way to get around a track..
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

GP500 is a fantastic game. Some mates of mine competed at a national level on bikes (One won a National Title) and they used to rave over the game, and said doing Phillip Island on that game was good practice for that track.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I still have GP500 here somewhere, and was actually going to re-install it.

*Scottie goes to re-install it!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah, GP500 was awesome. I only ever got good at two of the tracks - Mugello and PI - because it just required so much time and patience. It really was the GPL of the motorbike racing genre. I remember I found it at Big W on sale for only $20 a month or so after it came out. The sounds were awesome and it just looked the part. I'm sure some people out there are still playing it. I know it was reskinned often enough but not sure if any physics were ever changed or if any tracks were added. Could actually be quite good with an x-box controller - triggers for the brakes, one stick for steering and the other for throttle. Can't fit the lean in there but it's good enough.
avaran

Post by avaran »

Hrmm... I'd consider making my own controller, probably wouldn't have force feedback though... :P

But in countersteering, it only helps the initial movement of the bike, that's what I understand anyway. So initailly, there is some opposite lock, but in the turn, the wheel does steer into the corner (Especially noticeable on slow cornering, like turning into a driveway). The gyroscopic effect of the wheel tips the bike in.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I guess it's the geometry of the tires that turn the bike if you're steering out to turn with lean... ???
avaran

Post by avaran »

I think it has more to do with the steering geometry, the rake of the front wheel.
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

I just emailled this thread to a mate of mine (5 times state road racing champion in SA) and he emailled me this response:
The countersteer and then turn into the corner is right I reckon but the amounts used is pretty small so I wouldn’t expect there would be a realistic way to factor that in to a sim. You actually turn the front wheel into the turn to stand the bike up in corners but again it’s via instinct and it’s really a sub concious thing.

Any sim really needs wind aswell to be realistic when dealing with bikes especially GP style. You’d need a life size bike in a wind tunnel so may aswell do it for real.

GP 500 is still the best I’ve used.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

you should all spend less time arguing about bike physics and more time investigating the authenticity of the picture.. :p
avaran

Post by avaran »

Hz-Lab wrote:you should all spend less time arguing about bike physics and more time investigating the authenticity of the picture.. :p
Heh, I was commenting on an older post... but we desperately need a new motorbike sim and a decent controller. :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Turns out that bike sim I was talking about went public a couple of weeks ago. Check here if you haven't seen it.