Interview with Devs

LFS chat
avaran

Post by avaran »

I've been thinking about this controller... needs a bit more research on my behalf, but I think I could make a decent one, and with vector track (Track IR) you could even track position on the bike (Weight shifting) ;)

I wish I had the time and money to make one, and a sim that could handle all the inputs. ;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

That new sim looks promising, will be weird when it's released trying to drive it with a wheel, a joystick would probably be better for the job. Actually just thinking about it two joysticks would probably be the go, one for turning/accelerating/braking and the other for weight shifting.

I never really played gp500 but I did play a lot of the EA Superbike games when they were out, racing from the helmet view was something else entirely, very difficult but quite fun once you got the hang of it.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I think I'd like to give a decent bike sim a go with a six axis controller. Lean left/right and forward/backward with the controller pivot thingy... and then control accelerator/brakes and handlebars if needed with the two analogue sticks.

I think the lack of feedback would be hard to deal with. :S
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

avaran wrote:I think the lack of feedback would be hard to deal with. :S
Luckily then sony is releasing a PS3 controller with Sixaxis and Rumble in one :nod:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

r8response wrote:
avaran wrote:I think the lack of feedback would be hard to deal with. :S
Luckily then sony is releasing a PS3 controller with Sixaxis and Rumble in one :nod:
Hmm.. depends on wether you really class rumble as feedback. I don't think it enhances gameplay at all.
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

does in MGS :P and this new rumble is really good i hear like if an explosion goes of to your left you feel the vibration in the left and stuff its a lot more dynamic sorta.
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

you only feel it in your hands though...

...the day you play FIFA and a boot springs out of the controller and kicks you in the face is the day realism meets the console!
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Watched the first 15 seconds than the interviewers nasal sounding voice annoyed the shit out of me
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Interesting.. WOOT! a vilante skin makes an appearance
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

r8response wrote:
Watched the first 15 seconds than the interviewers nasal sounding voice annoyed the shit out of me
R8ge Quit
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Hz-Lab wrote:
r8response wrote:
R8ge Quit
GOLD!
:rofl: :lol: :D
Steve
---
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Well stuff me!

I always thought it was Live (as in "Drive") for speed and not Live (as in With) for Speed!

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :melt: :melt: :melt:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Hz-Lab wrote:
r8response wrote:
R8ge Quit
One day, probably not for a long time though. you'll come to the realisation that i've only ever ragequit 1 race. and as far as i know, you weren't part of it :shake:
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

banning everyone else but yourself on an ozbee server amounts to the same thing as a rage r8 :D

just kidding :D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Sambo wrote:banning everyone else but yourself on an ozbee server amounts to the same thing as a rage r8 :D

just kidding :D
Funny thing about that Sam, i can get kick to work. But bans never seem to :rofl:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Nice, looking forward to the next update :)

Good to see the Fusion skin got a bit of a feature, I like that FXR.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Gougoodthing wrote:Well stuff me!

I always thought it was Live (as in "Drive") for speed and not Live (as in With) for Speed!

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :melt: :melt: :melt:
you serious? :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: i don't know what to say to that.. lol. It makes no sense that way though.
r8response wrote:One day, probably not for a long time though. you'll come to the realisation that i've only ever ragequit 1 race. and as far as i know, you weren't part of it
One day, probably not for a long time though. you'll come to the realisation that wether you did or did not partake in such r8ge quitting, the fact that we get a rise everytime we mention it is probably why we keep mentioning it.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

good find gizmo... and yeah that bloke shat me to tears

Really wish they'd get a bigger team together and get things moving though. LFS is getting stale and they're working on getting sp AI better... Fuck sp AI gimme more cars and tracks and better physics dammit! LOL! (I am appreciative of what they've done so far though lol)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Fandango wrote:Really wish they'd get a bigger team together and get things moving though. LFS is getting stale and they're working on getting sp AI better... Fuck sp AI gimme more cars and tracks and better physics dammit! LOL! (I am appreciative of what they've done so far though lol)
Yerp. Ive heard of South City getting an "upgrade". But that will only make everyone go wow for the first 3 laps. We new environments firstly (with afew track combos). Then new cars/types.

I really wish they let the community create tracks. I understand that 99% of what is created will be total shit (that doesnt matter), following the process below;

Track Creation (with reasoning & details) > Reviewed by Dev selected group of Track Moderators > Forwarded to LFS Dev (with comments and ideas) > LFS Dev outputs general track detail to Beta testers > Feedback given > LFS Dev updates (back to Beta testers if required) > Track provided in next update

While the above process might seem alittle long, its really splits the work load up. The Devs could at anytime, supply the Track Moderators with extra constrains. Which would allow track creators to better suit the design to meet the Devs requirements. (And yes, i quickly wrote the proccess just while typing it haha might need improvement).
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i agree with you wabbit, really need some new environments. cars are fine atm there is quite a variaty, but tracks are getting a bit the same
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

While I'd love more content its just never going to happen. There are a few problems with individual track development in my eyes...
1) The time it takes them to explain how to build a track to the modders. (Its not just a bunch of polygons!) They will need to document and explain the requirements of track development specific to how LFS works.
2) Sort of an extension of part 1. The construction in terms of polygon layout, texture mapping, avaliable texture library is important. Its possible to have vastly different styles with all these areas; hard to keep consistency between tracks.
3) You really need to give track designers the ability to test the track with the cars. However then anyone can make tracks / play on them which could potentially lead to issues down the track (say if someone worked out how to host a game with their own track).
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

ReppohC wrote:While I'd love more content its just never going to happen. There are a few problems with individual track development in my eyes...
1) The time it takes them to explain how to build a track to the modders. (Its not just a bunch of polygons!) They will need to document and explain the requirements of track development specific to how LFS works.
2) Sort of an extension of part 1. The construction in terms of polygon layout, texture mapping, avaliable texture library is important. Its possible to have vastly different styles with all these areas; hard to keep consistency between tracks.
3) You really need to give track designers the ability to test the track with the cars. However then anyone can make tracks / play on them which could potentially lead to issues down the track (say if someone worked out how to host a game with their own track).

Which is why the Devs need to swallow their ego's and get more people involved before LFS becomes old news and slips away. The aussie racing community's all that's keeping me racing (and I'm sure a lot of other people too) but how long can it last once a game becomes boring. I think they may need to take a big step forward soon cuz i'm sure a really decent race sim could easily be just round the corner. I mean really all it'll take is rFactor sound quality and visuals combined with LFS handling and accessibility, GTR2's weather randomness (or is that RACE07??) and I know I'd be hooked.
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

Fandango wrote:, GTR2's weather randomness (or is that RACE07??)
That'd be RACE07
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie