Connecting to a WLAN....

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
plastik8

Connecting to a WLAN....

Post by plastik8 »

Well I've finally got around to connecting the 5102G (Wireless ADSL2+ modem + router).

I've set up a test WLAN, with no encryption. It shows up fine on my laptop. I go to connect using the standard windows wireless network connection manager, and it just comes up with a little window, saying it's connecting for about 60seconds, then just defaults back to the wireless network selection screen...

There's really no other options in either the Router/Modem or the laptop... Only things I could change would be the Channels (2412,2417,2422mhz etc. etc.).

I'm a complete noob to WLAN'ing... Anyone got any clues?

If you need more details, or some print screens, let me know.

Thanks in advance :yes:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Only thing that comes to mind right now, is the DHCP server enabled on the router, and is your wireless adaptor setup to obtain an IP address automatically?
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

SHoNKY wrote:Only thing that comes to mind right now, is the DHCP server enabled on the router, and is your wireless adaptor setup to obtain an IP address automatically?
Automatic IP address: Check
DHCP enabled: Check (I think)......

Might try to connect with a different pc or laptop.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

OK, it worked once after I restarted the router.

I then turned on 128bit encryption, rebooted router AND laptop, now when I go to connect, it comes up with:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE WIRELESS NETWORKS!!!
Doso

Post by Doso »

wouldnt you need to rescan for the network then reconnect to it and then enter the new encryption key to gain access to the network?
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Doso wrote:wouldnt you need to rescan for the network then reconnect to it and then enter the new encryption key to gain access to the network?
Yep, I rescanned for networks, even rebooted laptop numerous times.... It occasionally came up with the option to type in encryption key, then after a few seconds (about 10), would come up with the error.

I also rebooted router/modem numerous times.

I'm gonna either try the laptop at my mates place, or try some other wireless device with my router....

Until then there's nothing I can really do... Or is there?
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

If it's none of the connection settings I have a couple of ideas which helped with my nightmare with a Billion. I know some of these might be bloody obvious so I apologise.

Upgrading the firmware for the router and wireless card.
Upping the power on your wireless card and particularly the base power on the router.
Finally my experience on the Billion forum was that the antenna can be relatively underpowered and what finally fixed the problem of frequent dropouts for me was to unfortunately invest in a new, more powerful antenna.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Scuderia_Alan wrote:If it's none of the connection settings I have a couple of ideas which helped with my nightmare with a Billion. I know some of these might be bloody obvious so I apologise.

Upgrading the firmware for the router and wireless card.
Upping the power on your wireless card and particularly the base power on the router.
Finally my experience on the Billion forum was that the antenna can be relatively underpowered and what finally fixed the problem of frequent dropouts for me was to unfortunately invest in a new, more powerful antenna.
Firmware is latest (almost latest) on the router.

The laptop connected 100% fine to the university wireless network, so no need to update firmware there.

The laptop is never more than about 3 or 4m from the router, so no antenna problems there.

I'm thinking it's probably the router.... I'll need another WLAN device to test it out though...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

It is a 5102G isn't it Plastik, I got a shocking memory. If it is, this is the latest firmware for it. Probably worth a try.

Also when entering the key for WEP128, are you sure you entered a 13 hexidecimal key, preceded with "0x"

Eg. 0x1234567890ABC

When entering the key on your laptop, enter just 1234567890ABC without 0x

Also when entering the keys, enter it in all 4 boxes, if it doesn't do it itself.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

SHoNKY wrote:It is a 5102G isn't it Plastik, I got a shocking memory. If it is, this is the latest firmware for it. Probably worth a try.

Also when entering the key for WEP128, are you sure you entered a 13 hexidecimal key, preceded with "0x"

Eg. 0x1234567890ABC

When entering the key on your laptop, enter just 1234567890ABC without 0x

Also when entering the keys, enter it in all 4 boxes, if it doesn't do it itself.
Shonky, I tried upgrading the firmware, but I got the following error:

"Server Error
A file system error was detected on the RomPager server.

Return to last page"

Not sure what the problem is there.....

My wep keys are ok I think. tried 64 bit, only numbers, only letters etc. and still have same problem.

Actually, now it just tries to connect for about 20 seconds, then just returns to the "Choose a wireless network" screen...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Crap, just remembered about WEP keys. Entering it in hex, you need to use 10 characters for 64bit, or 26 characters for 128bit.

You can use 5 characters (64bit) or 13 characters (128bit) if you are using a passphrase, when you click apply it should convert the characters to a 10 or 26 hexidecimal number.