Photography Websites

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:
norbs wrote:
fourthof5 wrote:re: The Power of PS. You can do that in a dark room norbs. Even Robert Capra's 'omaha beach landing' was "developed" in a dark room.
You keep banging on about it Nige, but you will never convince me. To do alot of what you say you can do in a darkroom would take years of training and alot of skill. And I dont care what you say, there is no way you can do the amount of things to one exposure in a darkroom that you can do in PS. If you looked at all those photos, you will see they have actually changed the image in quite a few of them, as well as changing colours. I would love to see you do that in a dark room. Just about any bastard can do it in PS.
So why does that matter? That its now possible for everyone to do what a few elite individuals used to do. Manipulate your photos to achieve an interesting outcome.

norbs youve gotta stop looking at photography as a simple recording of what happened. Its an art form and as such there are no rules. The snap of the shutter is the start not the end.
Thats fair enough pix, but I don't have to agree. Art is for tossers, the pretentious elite who think they are smarter than the normal people. Fuck that. I take photos. I dont set out to make art.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

norbs wrote:Thats fair enough pix, but I don't have to agree. Art is for tossers, the pretentious elite who think they are smarter than the normal people. Fuck that. I take photos. I dont set out to make art.
:rofl: :yes:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Bah. Art is good.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

norbs wrote:Thats fair enough pix, but I don't have to agree. Art is for tossers, the pretentious elite who think they are smarter than the normal people. Fuck that. I take photos. I dont set out to make art.
Aw cmon norbs, you dont really believe that do you..

You must have difficulties carrying yer camera bag with that huge chip on yer shoulders
eek
Speed

Post by Speed »

norbs wrote: Thats fair enough pix, but I don't have to agree. Art is for tossers, the pretentious elite who think they are smarter than the normal people. Fuck that. I take photos. I dont set out to make art.
I think so called "modern art" is for tossers but in my opinion your photos are artistic. :nod:
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:
Aw cmon norbs, you dont really believe that do you..

You must have difficulties carrying yer camera bag with that huge chip on yer shoulders
Its not me mate. Im fine. I dont have to try and show how smart I am by trying to find a million different meanings and implications in a photo. I cant stand having people shove critical appraisals of my work down my throat. I have said it time and time again, I take photos that I like. They aren't there to please the chardy drinking private school wankers.

It has probably hit a raw nerve with me. I grew up with a try hard mother who wanted us to be a few classes above where we actually were. She wanted me to be creative, artistic, interesting, clever, musical and well read. The more she pushed, the more I hated it. Now, when ever I hear people bleating on about art, I burr up. Why can't i just enjoy my photography and enjoy the fact that it gets me out and a few people seem to like my work? Why, all of a sudden, do I have to appreciate art? Jesus, I had an argument in one Flickr group, that I was invited too, that my critique was to short and too the point. Fark me!

And while I am ranting away, what gives the art elite the right to tell me how to take a photo? Too many times I have seen the work these tools churn out and wonder why they cant focus a bloody camera?
norbs

Post by norbs »

fourthof5 wrote:Bah. Art is good.
Thats your opinion Nige, and you are entitled to it. But I am quickly learning that the art set are alot like the god set. And in their books, I am satan!
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

mate its not about telling you how to do it... its your pics so do it how you like...

Its just that you shouldnt feel "ashamed" or "cheating" if you do tweak it up in photoshop.

If you wanna play satan and constantly hate the word art thats fine, all we are saying is go for it do it how you like and don't feel constrained by someone else's benchmarks.
eek
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Focus Chart

Post by Nigel »

For testing focus on your lense. (this allows you to work out your weak spots and best spots and also if you have a dodgy lense)

http://www.focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf (PDF of the chart)

http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html (website)
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Clever site here.

http://color.slightlyblue.com/

Use the colour picker top left to choose images in the same colour range.

And some interesting infrared filter pics
http://www.pbase.com/jeffreyk/infrared
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

It doesn't get better than this.

http://www.magnumphotos.com
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Re: Photography Websites

Post by Nigel »

Hows this for a great Photography web page.

http://www.luhringaugustine.com/index.php?mode=current
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

fourthof5 wrote:Hows this for a great Photography web page.

http://www.luhringaugustine.com/index.php?mode=current
Hmm, I saw this on "The Genius of Photography" (I think), and they start life as a photo, but the amount of time spent in Photoshop is ridiculous. Not photos in my books. Also, the set up is pretty interesting. It is more like a movie set than a photograph. Very good images, but digital art.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Wasn't talking about the images, I was more interesting in the way the website displayed the images.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re:

Post by DexterPunk »

fourthof5 wrote: From memory its 5 stops from dark to light in Digital and about 11 or 12 in film.
latitude depends on the photographic emulsion, but generaly digital has more.. around 7 stops for a 12bit sensor, more for higher bit depth. Colour transparancies are only about 5 stops, and some photographers claim they can use 7 stops out of a black and white such as FP4+, but really you only have about 6 stops to work with.

as for photoshop vs traditional methods... yes maybe you can do something in a darkroom or via processing... but its a hell of a lot harder. trying to do something like a split contrast print, while dodging and burning is not easy... and you will no doubt go through $10 worth of paper getting it right. Unfortunately D-76 developer doesnt have a CTRL Z option. So while a lot of photoshopping is valid in regards to traditional image creation, in my opinion it still cheapens the image. If i see something like a b&w / colour composite shot all done on film it impresses me, i see it done with photoshop its a 5 min job. Dont get me wrong.. i love photoshop, but heavy image manipulation is far more impressive and a point of interest with traditional image creations.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I would agree with that.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

harvested from another forum. Great Doco series, New York 1965 - 1995.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=402544
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good for the Windows/Flickr folk.

http://www.rebeleos.com/FoldrMonitr/
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Jees howd I miss this thread. Heaps of info... i'll be stuck in front of the monitor for weeks. Thanks all.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Check out this free panorama software Autostitch, I haven't had chance to check it out as I haven't got any source images to try with but it looks like it does a pretty good job considering the price.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

SHoNKY wrote:Check out this free panorama software Autostitch, I haven't had chance to check it out as I haven't got any source images to try with but it looks like it does a pretty good job considering the price.
Autostitch isn't free anymore...

I use PTgui for panoramas, but a free alternative is Hugin.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ah bugger, got directed there from a photog site and it must have been an old thread.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

norbs

Post by norbs »

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

norbs wrote:http://legomyphoto.wordpress.com/

Tops!!!!!
Indeed! :yes: