Real-time Engine Sound Editor

LFS chat
Peptis

Real-time Engine Sound Editor

Post by Peptis »

From the official LFS forum http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=18232
To bring up an interactive real-time engine sound editor, while in-game type /edit_eng and then press Shift-A
and a comment from Scawen about it
No, it wasn't meant to be found. We decided not to document the editor before the sound system was finished. If we provide a documented feature then it becomes my duty to try to protect your data (allowing old versions to still be loaded as the system is updated) and so on. But as the sound system changes, old files often become invalid, because their data was designed for an older system.

So, if you use the sound editor system, please regard it as an undocumented feature that is not supported by us - and be prepared for the fact that your sound files will probably become invalidated at some point by a patch or test patch which contains sound improvements. And assume that I won't answer any questions on this either - it's an editor for a system that is still work in progress.

Anyway... for those want to try editing and don't mind their work being deleted, I hope you have fun using the editor!
This is what it looks like

http://www.lfsforum.net/attachment.php? ... 1169111821
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

ooooohhhhhh
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Coolness........... :yes:
aoun

Post by aoun »

i saw this on the lfs forums.. im not going to touch this as i wouldnt kno wat the fuk im doiinn =).
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

aoun wrote:i saw this on the lfs forums.. im not going to touch this as i wouldnt kno wat the fuk im doiinn =).
I'm just going to play with the sliders :D
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

*cough* CSR ftw *cough* :lol:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

plastik8 wrote:*cough* CSR ftw *cough* :lol:
hehe, my first thought/hope when i saw this was "maybe they're trying to make a CSR like system!"

I got all excited, then realised I could just use CSR anyway

I also installed some new tyre screech sounds i found on lfsforum recently.. they're great :D
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

I found I could make engine sounds I preferred, but still got nothing on CSR.
Is interesting to see that lfs does use samples though ;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Blowtus wrote:I found I could make engine sounds I preferred, but still got nothing on CSR.
Is interesting to see that lfs does use samples though ;)
Really? I seem to remember RBR had procedural engine sounds generated from samples. So there was one sample for a single cylinder firing and then it would alter/repeat that sound depending on load/rpm etc. Wasn't too bad actually. Better than LFS and nkpro anyway. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Real time generated sounds are the way to go I believe but at present the new sounds are quite woeful and actually rather embarrassing, trying to convince friends/new racers that LFS is worth the money with these sounds is quite difficult. However I expect the work that is being done now will eventually reap rewards in the future, the only problem being is that it takes so long for LFS to progress towards that future.
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

Exar Kun wrote:Really? I seem to remember RBR had procedural engine sounds generated from samples. So there was one sample for a single cylinder firing and then it would alter/repeat that sound depending on load/rpm etc. Wasn't too bad actually. Better than LFS and nkpro anyway. :tilt:
Yeah, LFS does the same thing. I just remember various folk whinging about csr being a 'sample' based system. No matter ;)
aoun

Post by aoun »

CSR is hopeless! never liked it one bit, but the sounds were nice i gotta admit.

Its just it can lag abit, and you cant feel the skid etc..
Blowtus

Post by Blowtus »

you didn't have it setup right aoun.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

aoun wrote:CSR is hopeless! never liked it one bit, but the sounds were nice i gotta admit.

Its just it can lag abit, and you cant feel the skid etc..
Lagging can be the result of a struggling pc... A temporary fix is to increase it's thread priority... A permanent fix is to buy a post-2000 PC! :lol:

Then, slightly lower the CSR sounds and up the skid sounds from within LFSto the max amount if you wish :yes:

With CSR setup correctly I'm no longer afraid to crank up my stereo and the sub woofer! Sounds awesome :aussie:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Fuck me, look at the list of different sounds LFS has for any one car!! Even after all that, they sound crap now!

I'm gonna make a backup version of S2 and have some fun... easier way to ignore the "invalidated" problem Scawen talks about.

OOOOOOOOOOOO Air Intake... I'm gonna beef that up. Nothing I love more than a rich/deep induction noise. Mate of mine had a Datsun 240K and the induction noise of that beast was felt within metres of the engine, not just heard. I guess tripple Webber Carby's helped.. not mention all the other work it had done to it.
petey

Post by petey »

It's good fun to play with, can get some nice sounds, smooth and chuggy, or high and whiney...Nothing realistic but still more pleasing to the ear in my opinion.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
iMAXIBON

Post by iMAXIBON »

lfs sounds crap? WHAT!?

it sounds great, theres lots of detail, theres seriously nothing wrong with it. holy shit complain-o-rama.

i tried CSR for a while and i was sort of getting to like it, untill i tried to recod a clip with fraps and it just wouldnt run. now i've reinstalled both fraps and lfs and removed all traces of CSR and it still wont work. not happy jan.

this editor is awesome. the effect of dragging the sliders is pretty subtle though. but its easy to play with, doesnt lag or pop or corrupt your boot sector and you can save your modifications as a preset, ala autoX. end the race or change cars and anything you bugger up will go back to standard anyway.

right, everyone start pressing buttons and see what else you can discover :aussie:
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

If anyone is interested i've got the turbo cars sounding pretty hot. Loud sucky turbo noises followed by a blow off valve-less turbo flutter :D
I'll post up a sound clip shortly.

You'll never guess where i got the sample from.. Search VL Turbo dose on youtube :rofl:

Oh and with a little tweaking the LX6 and LX4 can be made to sound very very horny.
Never argue with a idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

Here is a little something I think some people might like
If you don't. You don't have to say anything nasty either.

It's a quick video and profile to set the car up to sound as shown in the video.
The LX6 sounds pretty tough and the XR GT Turbo is set up to simulate the sound of a turbo car with no turbo compressor bypass valve (blow off valve or dump valve) as some of you know it. And no i'm not talking about the exhaust wastegate so please don't argue about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzaoOGmc_nA

Enjoy.

The sample for the turbo flutter was taken from a video of a VL Commodore Turbo that I found on youtube. So finding a better sound to make it sound nicer wouldn't be hard. It was just the first thing I could find.

*as posted on the official LFS forum*
Never argue with a idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Nice :yes:

I love the induction roar of the LX :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hehe, all the XR GT Turbo needs now is a doof doof soundtrack. :p
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

Coming right up!

*edit*
This might take a little while. I'm just trying to get my hands on the perfect track :D
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

As requested :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5AmtRSjFHU
*video fixed*

I'd forgotten to fade out the audio tracks between video streams so I had the sounds from two different videos playing at once which were in sync. The one from in car and TV cam.
Last edited by Crash Dummy on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Shik moite, feckin roite orf maite~!

Fooly shik shub shounds br0, goez roit orf maite.

(You should see my spell checker, going nuts over all of that.)

I :rofl: 'd, fantastic mate :D
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

:rofl: "My subs, My subs, My subs, My F!@#'in Crazy subs!"