New rules

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Blitzer

New rules

Post by Blitzer »

Just saw on the news tonight, 1 set of tyres for the whole race :wtf: That should make it interesting.

What other new rules have they released this season? :)
[SCR] Blitzer
Southern Cross Racing
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

They get 3 sets of tyres per weekend - one set is used on Fridays when they are evaluating which tyre to go with. They choose hard/soft on Saturday morning and keep using the Friday tyres throughout practice. Come qualifying they use the second set of tyres. This is the set that has to last until the end of the race. Should they get a puncture or excessive wear then they can bring the car in and change the tyres with problems. The new tyre must come from the set used on Friday/Saturday. Only if there are additional problems can they use any tyres from the third set.

Tyre changes cannot be made during a regular pitstop - i.e. refuelling. So they effectively get a drive through penalty for putting on new tyres.

Engines must last two race weekends this year. Following the first weekend the engine will be sealed off by the FIA but will leave holes in the intakes and exhaust so teams can stick a camera in and have a look at the insides. They can turn the engine over between engines but aren't allowed to fire it up.

Qualifying is now held Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning. They are the same 1-lap format as we had previously, with light fuel allowed for the first session and then race fuel in the second except now the times from each qualy session are averaged to create and aggregate time that the grid will be based upon. So no sandbagging in eather session.

Aero has changed, cutting ~30% of the downforce of the cars (as they stood at the end of last season). This involves raising the front wing by 5cm to remove even more of the ground effect created by it (although the centre chord can remain where it always has - hence the weird droopy front wings we are seeing this year). The rear wing has been moved forward by a fair way so it gets in the more turbulent air of the bodywork and is thus less effective. The rear wing endplates, however, have remained the same size as last year when they became larger so the rear wing is looking pretty funny now. Finally on the aero side is the diffuser. It has been made a lot shorter, once again reducing the amount of ground effect and the floor is not allowed to be as close to the rear wheels as it was thus losing the 'seal' that was created there.

A few new impact tests for safety and that's basically it.

:tilt:
Kees Kasper

Post by Kees Kasper »

so still no end to traction control and all that wussy stuff :irked:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

lol, take away that woosy stuff and you'll only see them spining off... they'd need so much engine mapping that there may as well have tc to keep them drivable
Kees Kasper

Post by Kees Kasper »

I guess so :( . But I still think driving aids like that are dumb on the so-called highest level of motorracing.

I mean champ cars don´t have all those aids do they? Plus they have the "manual "gearboxes. Just kinda feels thats more like real racing instead of pushing a button on the wheel to get the computer working
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah, I feel the same way, but I'll only give in to TC cause I don't wanna try bottling up 930-odd hp :)