Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

hell yeah, thats some cool shit
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

That's really great Exar. Do you model everything yourself or do you get the "fillers" from turbo squid etc? I notice a nice little coffe machine in the corner but can't tell what sort of detail it's in. Also with the lounge image, is that splotcheness part of the texture or is it a GI thing? I am assuming tha's what you mean by the finishes?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

For my business side of things I do the studio max type things whilst my business partner does the modelling in Autocad. In that particular image the 'fillers' were done by his students at TAFE :D. In the animation they were done by myself. So far haven't pulled anything from any of those other sites but for our next job which should be quite large there is a bunch of furniture and fixtures that I'm looking to purchase that should save a lot of time.

The splotchiness in that lounge image is because the original render was at 3500 pixels. With v-ray, the larger the image the smaller the noise filter value needs to be (with an associated exponential increase in render times of course) and in that one it wasn't quite small enough. Unfortunately, with the deadline and 20 hour plus rendering for the full size image even at the noise filter value it was at there wasn't time to go back and re do it (we provided three alternate colour schemes for that room too). I really need a crazy kick arse rendering machine.

How are your rendering times with the new quad core? That'll be my next upgrade as I can just drop the chip into this machine. Wish I had a 64-bit OS so I could use all the RAM I have too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Rendering times are infinately better. Plus I have 4 gig of RAM to match the quad core. i am running vista 32 but since updating to service pack 1 it recognises all 4 gig. Not sure if that is correct as i heard it would only pick up 3.5 gig.

Yeah, the old splotchy look is a bastard. The thing with Arch viz is render times are just going to be stupid regardless. Once you start going global illumination and cranking up AA etc, it just meant lots of low res test renders then hope for the best when you hit go on the large ones. I think you could maybe optimize it a little more to drop the times but not by much.

I wish I had a baggilion dollars for my own render farm :D
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Here is a little hallway thing I have been working on. I am happy with the lighting, just need to add some character to it now.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Lighting is indeed quite nice. :yes:

From an architectural standpoint, the doors are either too short or too wide and the cornice looks too large. You could probably stretch the whole scene vertically and change it to portrait and it would still work really well. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah the doors looked squished. just for your stiff shit basket. A standard door is 2040x820 and your average cove cornice is either 90 or 55mm radius. That may help you out. Jeez had to stretch to remember them, amazing what you forget 18 months out the building industry.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hz-Lab wrote:yeah the doors looked squished. just for your stiff shit basket. A standard door is 2040x820 and your average cove cornice is either 90 or 55mm radius. That may help you out. Jeez had to stretch to remember them, amazing what you forget 18 months out the building industry.
That's for the leaf, by the way. A typical doorset is an easy to remember 900x2100 which is 3 foot by 7 foot. Ceilings are about 2400 typical these days although that corridor could look nice with a 2700 ceiling. Also a more ornate cornice and possibly skirting would really set it off in my opinion. :tilt:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah nice bit of 67mm colonial would look nice on the skirts.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Exar Kun wrote: A typical doorset is an easy to remember 900x2100 which is 3 foot by 7 foot.
at the outside of the arch? I know the most common inside measurement is 825mm. I have cut a squillion door trims to fit them and that is by far the most common size, and 725 for a toilet door.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

w00dsy wrote:
Exar Kun wrote: A typical doorset is an easy to remember 900x2100 which is 3 foot by 7 foot.
at the outside of the arch? I know the most common inside measurement is 825mm. I have cut a squillion door trims to fit them and that is by far the most common size, and 725 for a toilet door.
Yep, outside of architrave. Doorset is leaf plus jamb. Generally just specify something and let the builder work it out. :D
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Cheers lads. Will work on the dimensions :) I guess that's the problem with doing it all by eye. :D
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Ok, here is a progress render. It's looking a lot better I think.

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

one of your soup frames are crooked.. lol. Looks heaps better
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Of course it is :) I have to add imperfections to make it look better.... he he.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, looking real good now dude. :yes:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think I have got all the settings to where I want them now. Now to work on the finer details. If anyone had anythoughts on what it could need to give it a bit of character it would be much appreciated.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice - the less saturated colour lets the GI work a bit better I reckon. Architrave maybe sits out a bit far I just noticed? I still say go for an ornate cornice/skirting if you want to bring out some more detail. Hard to say what else to put into it though.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I bought a new CAD plugin for Lightwave today. Had a bit of a play around and came up with this. It was just modelled off a pic I found on the net.

Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Im going to throw this out there, Exar and Righty you guys should start a business together :D

You could call the business Ex-Righteous :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Righteous wrote:I bought a new CAD plugin for Lightwave today. Had a bit of a play around and came up with this. It was just modelled off a pic I found on the net.

That's awesome mate - looks very cool indeed!

Some of my best looking renders I reckon are just when I've got the model into Max, applied a simple material to the entire scene and got the lighting setup. They just look like real life models.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yeah the clay renders always look good. I have been studying a fair bit on lighting lately as my knowledge was pretty limited before it's nice to see it's paying off a bit. I don't choose light colours with the colour picker any more, I discovered that you can actually pick your colours in Kelvin in Lightwave. Hurray!! No more dodgy lighting :)

@ Sambo, what would the business do? Sound like a divorce firm or something lol.