A new "wheel" thread

LFS chat
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

A new "wheel" thread

Post by Gougoodthing »

Yep, i know its been done to death, but cant have too many threads about wheels :)

Just got a new PC, runs Vista, the old thing that i had before is no longer compatible, reading on the web may be a patch "soon". I wont hold my breath.

Looking for suggestions.

I am a crap driver with limited time, so will be buying a cheap wheel that runs VISTA!

Anyone got any suggestions?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DFP is under $200 from the right places now. Probably your best bet. Either that or the old Momo. Both have dodgy pedals but you won't get better unless you spend up on something aftermarket (like A1s) or a G25.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

You can get a black MOMO for $130.

I guess you could always try eBay and get something second-hand.

(Edit: I was just replying to the post above. I don't know if the MOMO runs on Vista.)
Last edited by Peptis on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Exar Kun wrote:DFP is under $200 from the right places now
Does the DFP run under Vista now EK? Last time I tried it was a no-go.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I thought the latest drivers released (5.00) made it work but now I'm not so sure...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

The Logitech Momo site has a Vista patch.

These wheels are $200 at Harvey Norman, so presumably cheaper elsewhere.

So they go ok for the price, or should i look @ something else. (Wouldnt want to spend any more then that)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Gougoodthing wrote:The Logitech Momo site has a Vista patch.

These wheels are $200 at Harvey Norman, so presumably cheaper elsewhere.

So they go ok for the price, or should i look @ something else. (Wouldnt want to spend any more then that)
The Momo is a good wheel, its the 2nd wheel I had and it was great, the pedals were shithouse though, mine started spiking within about 1 month of purchase, took em back, got another set, they did the same after a few months, cracked the shits with them and went and bought some A1s.

The DFP is a better wheel than the Momo, and can be had for pretty cheap these days if you hunt around, no idea what the pedals on the DFP are like, never used them.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Pretty sure there was a thread here mentioning the pending 5.01 version of logitech software for vista.
Maybe search for that.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

A month ago I know that EB were selling the DFP for $149. Top buy :) Mine is over 6 months and no problems at all with spiking pedals.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

plastik8 wrote:A month ago I know that EB were selling the DFP for $149. Top buy :) Mine is over 6 months and no problems at all with spiking pedals.
Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.....Your pedals are suffering from a terminal illness, they only have 6 months to live...For now i would suggest thinking about quality of racing, and enjoy the time you have left with them.
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Excuse my ignorance...

wtf is spiking?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Basically after a bit your pedals input tends to "spike" as in you accelrate a little bit but the throttle percentage in game goes up and down all over the place. Can very very difficult when you are looking after your tyres and all of a sudden you are at maximum throttle. My DFP had this issue, I have taken them apart many times to resolve the prob. It works for a little bit, but then they seem to go back to shit sooner or later. I actually added a bit of chain greese to the pots on mine, they haven't stuffed up since. Mind you I haven't really used them that much to see if it was a good fix.
pogo

Post by pogo »

I read that as "I actually added a bit of cheese to mine...." :D I must try that! :scratch:

My old momos used to do the spiking thing before I got a G25. Also, they wouldn't fully brake sometimes, or they'd leave a little brake (10%) on... I too added 'cheese' to mine, and the 'tape mod', but they still wound up in the same place.... the bin :)

:shrug: I'd really recommend saving for a G25 if you're still planning on racing in 12 month's time. It's very well-priced for the quality and features, solid-as, has the best feel easy of any wheel I've used..... and there's a pretty fair chance a logi-momo would have packed it in by then and we'd have a new new wheel thread :cyclops:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

pogo wrote:I read that as "I actually added a bit of cheese to mine...." :D
so did i :eek: everything is better with cheese, except foreskins.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Ok, i agree with the fact no point paying $200 for six months

How much should i spend for one of these "good ones" then?

+ the names DFP and G25

are they brands or nicknames?

What am i actually looking for if i try to seach a g25?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

DFP= Driving Force Pro

G25= G25

Both are Logitech wheels. The DFP started at about 300$ but you can find them cheaper these days. The g25 iirc is around the 500$ mark?

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The g25 is a very, very nice wheel with equally impressive pedals and gear leaver. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... NTID=11867

But same thing, you could probably find it cheaper somewhere. maybe...
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

thanks!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

JB Hi Fi in SA stock them for 449 now
Hello :aussie:
pogo

Post by pogo »

dunno if you'd be keen on an ebay buy, but they can be had cheaper than that here.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

And if you look HERE you can see that the G25 pedals uses normal pots, so a trip to Jaycar could have your pedals repaired in quick time if the need ever arises. The use of the metal body pots by Logitech shows that Logitech want the pedals to last longer than what the shitty Momo pots ever did.
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Black Tie Services in Melboune have it for 370ish. Limited stock if you want the G25
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Cheers guys, really appreciate all this.

So for anyone who'se spent the $$ on these expensive ones...

any dramas ever?