What is it with people!

LFS chat
Dan
Wobbly2.0

What is it with people!

Post by Dan »

Ive been following a thread of OCAU for a bit now about Forza 2...

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=588560

The one guy that is starting to really give me a head ache is this Semi Evolved guy...
As far as Rfactor and Live for Speed are concerned, correct me if I'm wrong, but neither actually ship with real vehicles or tracks (excepting one-offs like the Sauber F1 in rFactor)? I find it fairly amusing that games that "simulate" non-existent cars driving around non-existent tracks are labeled "Sims", whilst games like Forza 2 are panned for their alleged unsimliness.

And as far as relying on their modding communities go; sorry, but unless the community has heavy industry involvement providing detailed information on the cars, I find it hard to believe that their models are anywhere near the actual vehicles' performance and handling.

Anyway, citing games such as those doesn't do much to convince me that I'm wrong in feeling that the criteria used to label them as Sims are completely arbitrary, and are simply based upon the individuals' preference of game.....

He seems to think it isn't the physics or behaviors of the car which makes it a sim... But how realistically you can add body kits and after market parts to your cars :fall:
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Most mod groups have a huge amount of info on there cars. For example, iDT were able to get a funcup team to count the amount of teeth on a gearbox cog to help get the physics right. what a friggen n00b. Proberly the same spammer who posted something like it in the RACE forum
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Yeah Forza is so realistic you cant even roll a car or when you hit another car doing 250kph only your bumper half falls off and you get some paint scratched on the bonnet lol. LFS is simulating different types of vehicles in general, keeping the simulation to how a real car of those specifications should handle, it is possible to simulate how a car handles without having to model from a car that was actually put into production lol.

Don't get me wrong tho, I liked Forza. But after I bought LFS I haven't touched Forza since lol
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

http://games.internode.on.net/content.p ... ws&id=1488

Thats why forza is so realistic, it kills your console when you play it :S
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

GT VIRUS wrote:http://games.internode.on.net/content.p ... ws&id=1488

Thats why forza is so realistic, it kills your console when you play it :S

Kills your Xbox everytime you crash

:lol: Would hate to be on a euro server... You would go through allot of Xboxs
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I've had a similar discussion with one of my friends who is giving me the whole "forza is better because it has real cars!" argument. I dont understand it though.. why are they real cars? because the game SAYS they have the same engine stats? the model looks similar? it has the same name? :)

Just because the game says it handles like that real car.. i'm sure it doesn't really :)

I'd much rather have real tracks than real cars
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Virtual-R wrote:Yeah Forza is so realistic you cant even roll a car or when you hit another car doing 250kph only your bumper half falls off and you get some paint scratched on the bonnet lol.
:shake: How wrong you are
slow069

Post by slow069 »

kwijibo wrote:I've had a similar discussion with one of my friends who is giving me the whole "forza is better because it has real cars!" argument. I dont understand it though.. why are they real cars? because the game SAYS they have the same engine stats? the model looks similar? it has the same name? :)

Just because the game says it handles like that real car.. i'm sure it doesn't really :)

I'd much rather have real tracks than real cars

this reminds me of a guy i used to work with
he thought that forza and the grand turismo series on playstation were tonnes better then lfs

mind u this person was narrow minded and talked shits about anything he ever did and any oppoin he had (boxhead knows who im talking about)

remarks like your friend made and the one in the first post is from someone that has never played games like lfs and rfactor for any longer then a few hours offline

they would think other wise if they played it online for ages

i have names for people like that $%*&% heads
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999095303]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Don't worry about what Semi says. he's full of shit and never checks his facts. he is a true console fanboi at heart.

Sure, Forza2 is the closest to a Sim you can get on a console. But until they remove the "Arcade" features of it, that is all it will ever be

And i just shot him, and another wanker down with facts about both LFS and rFactor
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Seriously, none of the pc games are realistic, sad to say.

I've had the pleasure of spending a day driving an ex Commodore Cup race car around Mallala, and the big difference is the NVH...

Noise, Vibration and Harshness. (Plus the g forces as well!)

A good mate of mine (and soon to be LFS regular, hopefully) loves pc racing games, and is also a multi state champion in road racing (bikes) and has competed at a national level. We have discussed this at length. He says the day you crash in a pc game, and the chair chucks you on the ground and you hurt your back/kidneys/knees, that's the day he will compare one with the other. :)

He said his fave game was the GP500 bike game, he said much of it was pretty decent, and said that the Phillip Island track was terrific when compared to the 'real world"

Plus he was bloody quick (on the pc game) around that track as well, based on his real life experiences. SO maybe i'm contradicting myself a little!
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

yeah, it really bugs me when I have these sorts of people thinking they know everything... Just gets so frustrating...
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

they don't know i know everything, therefore they don't know everything.....you know?
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Re NVH, can you please check out a Simconmotion setup and then report back on this?
Getting one is on my to do by end of 2008 list - I just need to work out some sort of setup so that I can use the same spot for cockpit and home office chair / desk. This guy took out a patent for it in the early nineties but no product exist as far as I can see. Anyway, should be in a different thread :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

funkdancer wrote:Re NVH, can you please check out a Simconmotion setup and then report back on this?
This is da shizz. Now, just to win lotto and it shall be mine.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

That's what I say too Exar - but at that price you might as well buy a real race car :)

But your chances of death in an accident are greatly reduced
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

ditto exar kun and pingers
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ah the good ol' 301 ... last I heard it was around $25K US so indeed not the cheapest of the bunch...
I was thinking of that japanese one (can't recall the name...), but I don't think it delivers too much, dunno. It'd be nice to test it out somehwere locally, or at least hear some 1st hand opinions. It was still around $3000 IIRC
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Exar Kun wrote:
funkdancer wrote:Re NVH, can you please check out a Simconmotion setup and then report back on this?
This is da shizz. Now, just to win lotto and it shall be mine.
Wow, if anything would be able to receive a maximum negative WAF, then this would be it :)

So in other words, seriously cool.

On the other hand, simconmotion can be yours for just around $4k.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Gougoodthing wrote:Seriously, none of the pc games are realistic, sad to say.
A mate of a mate runs those little Aussie Car things (V8 Supercar Shapes but half the size), there is a mod being developed in rFactor for this series. He raced in the mod on a track he had never been to but was racing in the next round of the championship.

He took the whole rFactor setup, applied it to his racecar and it was one of the fastest cars for the weekend. He put all of his good result down to the quality of the mod and the track conversion :yes:
avaran

Post by avaran »

dvestate wrote:
Gougoodthing wrote:Seriously, none of the pc games are realistic, sad to say.
A mate of a mate runs those little Aussie Car things (V8 Supercar Shapes but half the size), there is a mod being developed in rFactor for this series. He raced in the mod on a track he had never been to but was racing in the next round of the championship.

He took the whole rFactor setup, applied it to his racecar and it was one of the fastest cars for the weekend. He put all of his good result down to the quality of the mod and the track conversion :yes:
So that new ex-papy guy's sim should be great for all the real world racers. As long as they have the same track/car combination in the sim.

http://www.iracing.com/ (Heh, new video I hadn't seen before, showing a comparison on the main page too).