Thoughts on New Tracks

LFS chat
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Bugle wrote:Needs old pacific highway from cowan to gosford
With a fully sick jump for the missing bridge over Somersby. :p

I just think more tracks are needed, rather than more variations of one track. Aston is a joke, and maybe perhaps we shouldn't try and get any 8-9km tracks.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

GustoAU wrote:I think at the end of Kayannie Corner was a bog, so if you missed the corner, off you went into the stink
If any South Aussies could go to these roads and take a few pic's I'd love it! (I won't be back in Adelaide till next year, and didn't get time to go there in March)
I knew I would find this link sooner or later.
Lobethal : A Pictorial Lap :yes:

Webmasters Note : Lobethal is in my humble opinion hands down the greatest Circuit ever to hold a race in Australia, I've visited the circuit quite a few times now, once with a certain Motoring Writer who gave me a taste of just how scary this track would've been. Each visit I gain a little more appreciation for the brave men whom piloted virtually brake less specials around this daunting track.
I've decided not to sift through and edit the pictures for this lap, instead I've included nearly every shot I took. Because of the amount of shots (80 Pics!) I've split this series over four pages which can be selected below.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

I was just about to post that link but you beat me to it knappo lol

Another interesting track from the Tasman Series is Vale, it was the main race track in Bathurst before Mount Panorama:

http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lostc ... e/vale.asp

You can see Mount Panorama on the left, looks tiny compared to its elder though lol
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Omg i love that track
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

I'm amazed they didn't take a photo on the Victor Harbour track at the corner at Port Elliot, where there is still part of the track remaining but they drove past that...
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

dunno, but i suddenly feel like making lobethal...
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

You do know that the Tasman series site is our very own Jamo's right? So he could maybe dig up some more information for you.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

we need daytona, and a NASCAR in LFS.

man i think id cream myself.
avaran

Post by avaran »

GT VIRUS wrote:dunno, but i suddenly feel like making lobethal...
You know what the good thing is... unlike the old 'Ring' and other old circuits, it appears this one is still intact. Is this right? I guess it's been resurfaced and probably made wider? Any of you SA guys know much about this? It'd be good to go for a trip and get heaps of photos and road elevation/width data for it. :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

looks basicly intact yeah. Although lobethal wouldn't have been quite as big in those days i think. Still looks like some great driving roads, even in the modern form.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

avaran wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:dunno, but i suddenly feel like making lobethal...
You know what the good thing is... unlike the old 'Ring' and other old circuits, it appears this one is still intact. Is this right? I guess it's been resurfaced and probably made wider? Any of you SA guys know much about this? It'd be good to go for a trip and get heaps of photos and road elevation/width data for it. :)
Yeah I can confirm that Lobethal is pretty much as it stood back in the days as I have done about 5-10 laps around there. The layout hasn’t changed at all but I think the entire track has been resurfaced.

The run from the start line down the Onkaparings Valley Rd to Kayannie corner is a bit wider as the speed limit along here is 100kmh if I remember correctly. Then from Kayannie corner to Lobethal is a bit narrower along the Lobethal Woodside Rd and its is almost all uphill. The run thru town would be a fair bit wider than it would have been due to road side car parking ect but as soon as you leave town along the Lobethal Mt Torrens Rd the road becomes narrow again and the drive becomes very very interesting with all the blind crests and ballsy corner combos.

If you live in SA and haven’t ever checked out this piece of road I highly recommend you take the drive. The speed limit is 80-100kph so you can at least experience it at some speed LEGALLY.

GT if you really want to make Lobethal I can lend some assistance as I have wanted to drive it in a sim since 1999. ;)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

just went looking on google earth, and the maps are accually fairly detailed there, which surprised me.
avaran

Post by avaran »

The hardest thign I think about making a track, is getting the correct elevation changes, and road surface, bumps etc.

I'd be happy to lend a bit of a hand too if you needed it! :)
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

here's google earth's mark of lobethal (i've placed it in the middle of the track, just zoom out)

I guess we have to wait for, at a guess, two years until the lfs devs release an environment maker...
I wouldn't mind helping as well if we could make it...
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

I don't know if they will ever release an environment maker. I think they're trying to lock LFS down so people can't make crappy content and make the game look bad by association.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

mod by submission? i still dunno why noone has done it yet
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

I think one of the more important aspects of mod making is actually trying stuff out ingame. Build something, test it, refine it. If you had to submit it to the devs just to get it compiled into game code that would take up alot of their time, not to mention the waiting periods while they "sorted" all the submitted mods. So to get a proper mod you need proper tools and the ability to try it out yourself. Making sufficient tools to be able to develop a track and then have it suitable approved seems like a bit of a nightmare to me. Also there are probably consistency factors [the way cars are modeled in order to deal with the damage model, etc] which need to be taken into consideration. It might not be as easy as "convert track x from game y", or "car x". Each individual car/track might need alot of "manual" work to get it up to scratch. All sorts of stuff like where the pit bays are, checkpoints, blah blah. So the only way to make it work would be to develop tools such that the end user can get their mod up to a level sufficient to play... but if you can do that then you wouldn't need to submit it :)

I'd also think they would want to keep all development consistent in the "style" department. Similar sort of textures and "art direction".
avaran

Post by avaran »

The ability to have a 'mod' license? Similar to s1,s2,s3 licensing system? That would be cool. Then the dev's could give and take away mod licenses as they see fit through their servers. :)

The license could allow you to test a track etc. :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The problem I see with more tracks being released at the moment is that they make up content that you pay for with S1 & S2. I can't see them giving away new tracks made by Eric for free but then it also wouldn't make sense to wait until S3 to release more which is surely years away still.
avaran

Post by avaran »

Who said they had to be free? Surely they could charge.

They charge for skin downloads. Charge for 'licensed' track creators add on tracks. :)

These are all just theories, I'm not saying that I think it's good or bad. Just ways of doing it. :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I dont care how its done, just let me do it!!

*EDIT* I just put a thread up at LFS Forums to see if anyone accually can mod ;)

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php? ... post507598
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

As much as i'd love to see new/real-life tracks in lfs i hope they don't open it up for modding to just anyone. I'd hate for LFS to become like rFactor.... Don't get me wrong, I like rFactor but the reason I like it is the exact opposite to why I like LFS. Extra tracks are good but it's nice to have a game where you don't have to go searching for a track or mod just to be able to join a server. Theres nothing more annoying that when you go to have a race on rFactor and find the only servers with people in them are the ones with mods/tracks you haven't downloaded.
If the LFS guys decide to allow mods I hope they can find a way to do it without ruining the ease of use LFSers currently enjoy. I love being able to jump on to a server and knowing all i'll have to download is a small patch or a handfull of skins.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

I don't know if LFS should just allow open mods and is probably not entirely practical getting it all to work with the features offered by LFS World.............. but by jingo's it sure does need some new content.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I find the tracks and variants in LFS to have been carefully crafted to provide a great mix of challenges. I don't get the impression that the track content of the sim is now frozen as a feature.

I certainly have a long way to go before I've mastered the current content and exhausted the challenge they represent.

The last thing I'd want is for all the sims I have to offer the same stuff as eachother. Seems kind of redundant.

Having said that, I'd welcome any new content, but thats because I'm greedy, not because my attention span is deficient