What do you drive?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DJglass

Post by DJglass »

ashsimmonds wrote:
avaran wrote:
ashsimmonds wrote:the KTM X-Bow is the next best option, but got no idea if/when it will ever come here. :\
Don't know where they got this info from, but here ya go ash: http://www.netrider.net.au/?page=news&a ... ews&id=897
cool. the official site only says that it is designed for EU market and as a race-car only elsewhere. will be interesting to see if it really can be homologated for road reg here.

having seen all the documents about what's wrong with the Atom and what it would take to fix it, i'm not very confident.
They mustn't have got to the part where they have to crash test a few, and the engine must be certified to meet emissions standards (which bike engines aren't) for starters. That'll cause issues for them.
Before buying the Birkin I was considering a used Lotus Elise series 1. You can pick those up around the $40K mark now. If they don't have enough grunt for you there are a few people transplanting supercharged Honda Integra motors into them. Only another $10 - $12K and you have a real weapon. Not that it really matters if you don't drive it on a track as that is where the real potential is unleashed.

So whats with a 900kg kart? a bit heavy isn't it (or was that a typo?).
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

DJglass wrote:They mustn't have got to the part where they have to crash test a few, and the engine must be certified to meet emissions standards (which bike engines aren't) for starters. That'll cause issues for them.
the crash thing is waaaay down the list, here's a few stupid things wrong with the Atom - seat-belt anchorage geometry, brake hoses unmarked, windscreens to be lexan or glazed, no faulty light warnings, need separate headlight switch, indicators don't meet visibility standards, no high-mounted brake light, steering column is wrong, dash needs more padding, no tyre placard, has no anti-theft system, no low-level fluid warnings on various hydraulics.... etc

all of these are small beans on their own, but in the end it becomes a nightmare to have to change so much of the car, not to mention emissions, noise, ground clearance, side-intrusion....
DJglass wrote:Before buying the Birkin I was considering a used Lotus Elise series 1. You can pick those up around the $40K mark now.
yep, love the Elise, that and the clubmans are the only affordable cars that beat the X1/9 for pure gokart driving feel - mind you i haven't been in a clubman but i think it's a fair call. but no i wouldn't buy an Elise, if i were to get a Lotus it would be an Exige or an Esprit.
DJglass wrote:So whats with a 900kg kart? a bit heavy isn't it (or was that a typo?).
LOL nah i meant my car(s). :D
because you can't drive a house
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Sambo wrote:
Righteous wrote:I know I know, it's missing some wheels but it's my daily traveler so...

zooooOOOOOmmmm..

are you smoking the refer again?
because i cant see anything with wheels :P

:melt: :melt: :melt: :melt: :melt: :melt: :melt:
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Jebus that is a frekin awesome looking bike righteous!
Can you do those mission impossible 2 moves on it?! :D
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

Sambo wrote:Can you do those mission impossible 2 moves on it?! :D
needs those knobbly tyres that Tom had
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Sambo wrote:Jebus that is a frekin awesome looking bike righteous!
Can you do those mission impossible 2 moves on it?! :D
We have had so much rain in Brisbane over the last month that the only mission impossible action that is going on is arriving at work dry.

It does test my self control sometime though. Love it to bits!
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Here's my fiery little 4 banga...

ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

LOL fully pimp yo
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

im curious, that dent on the bonnet seems to resemble the shape of an ARSE :D, no?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Sambo wrote:im curious, that dent on the bonnet seems to resemble the shape of an ARSE :D, no?
sssshhh.. don't mention the dent... its a "reflection"
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

:rofl: Yeah what dent?

The drivers side door is the same colour red too, if you get it in the right sunlight on a certain angle that is
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I have a few vehicles cluttering up the yard, time for a clean up :)

A '72 Superbug, unregistered but in the workshop as we speak. This is a very tidy totally original Beetle, complete with books.
I am currently waiting on a couple of offers for people to take as is, for the very first time in my life I might actually make money on a car.
If it's not sold as is I will get back on the road & then sell it.

A '92 Pajero, with just over 330,000 km on the clock, but still going strong. Also for sale.

A '89 Beemer 535is, a relatively rare model in Oz & in bloody good condition, red with black interior, all the M5 goodies such as interior, gearbox, brakes,
suspension, etc & guess what, also for sale.

The missus has an '06 Subaru Outback, not for sale.

A '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, 30,000km & for sale.

A company work ute, V6 Hilux, I better not try & sell that.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

i'll take 3 of each, do they come in gold?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Getting towards 6 years old and still feels like new. Only done 40,000 kms though :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Does it have a funky seating position like every other french car I've ever sat in?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems pretty standard to me. The wheel is slighty offset, but not noticeably.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Cool. I was looking into a Clio Sport a little while back and it was all over the place. Wheel off to one side and the pedals to the other. Probably get used to it eventually though.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

The LJ/C Torana's have an offset wheel. Really strange at first but I got used to it pretty quick.
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

Vilante 11 wrote:The LJ/C Torana's have an offset wheel. Really strange at first but I got used to it pretty quick.
VL Commodedoors and Skylines must be offset too, going by the way the people in them have to lean so much to drive them.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The Commodore seat must be too close to the door, too. A lot of guys seem to have to hang their arm out the window to fit in!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

DarrenM wrote:The Commodore seat must be too close to the door, too. A lot of guys seem to have to hang their arm out the window to fit in!
No, that's a "skipping evolution" thing :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

DarrenM wrote:The Commodore seat must be too close to the door, too. A lot of guys seem to have to hang their arm out the window to fit in!
Ahh yes, no i have to sit on this one until i can use it at work (in a convo) :D
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Vilante 11 wrote:The LJ/C Torana's have an offset wheel. Really strange at first but I got used to it pretty quick.
Same as the old Gemini's.... My GF's sister has one... apart from the fact I can barely fit in the thing (6foot2) - it's a really weird driving position....

Also, her old mans ~60's Pug is the same, well.... worse actually...
Steve
---
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

[thmb]http://www.holdengemini.net/hosting/roy ... 7522_1.jpg[/thmb]
[thmb]http://www.holdengemini.net/hosting/roy ... 7524_1.jpg[/thmb]

This is my Gemini project car, 4th one I have built. Just passed RWC today after 3 years building it up from a rusted out heap on its way to scrap metal. Should be back on the road in about a week or two, still need to finish trimming the interior and do a few other bits and pieces.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

At the request of SE1Z:

Daily driver is a 2004 Subaru Forester XT

But the weekend warrior is my STi rally car:

1999 STi Version 5
2Ltr Turbo with 34mm restrictor (regulations require it to limit hp) :(
6-sp Gearbox from 2005 STi with LSDs front and rear
PBMS Centre diff controller
Motec ECU
Drummond 50mm rally struts