Shifter owners

LFS chat
Sarsippius

Shifter owners

Post by Sarsippius »

I got my new g25 during the week and was having some fun with the LX4 yesterday getting used to driving with the h pattern shifter. Do most of you use the shifter with the road cars or just stick to sequential or the paddles? I get the idea from a few comments on the lfs forum that some people don't use the shifter much because they're not as fast/consistent. Anyway was just curious and thought it could be an idea to organise some racing in the road cars for shifter owners where everyone uses the h pattern (well those with one at least).
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I use the shifter, and while i agree its proberly not as quick, its much more fun :)
nneeooww

Post by nneeooww »

yeah i always use the shifter - just feels much better... deffineately not as quick - particular when you miss a damn gear coming onto a straight.

... GT is right though - so much more fun...
Doso

Post by Doso »

i just wish LFS dumbed down and slowes down the auto clutch / auto shifter (or sequential) like they did with the keyboard, till then there is no point using a shifter/manual clutch and still be able to be competitive/consistent

however after saying that i do use a shifter/manual clutch when im just having fun or trying to be semi competitive because at the end of the day its just more fun to use
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i used it for every game since i got the g25 when it first came out.

i have noticed im a bit slower through the gear changes and i also over rev the engine alot easier on downshifts due to going from 6th to 3rd in one go really under braking but its manageable aslong as you dont get over excitied... which i do heh. it has cost me alot of time in AAL races :(

but its much more fun. and i cant go back to sequential.
richo

Post by richo »

Shifter for road cars , seq for everything else

I really enjoy the shifter alot more for some reason if the car has a 4spd or 5spd box, that extra gate always buggers me up for some reason

Which is wierd because i owned a vx clubsport with a 6 spd (terrible gearbox by the way) for fair while.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

i would love to use a shifter, i use complete manual at the moment bar the shifter instead i just use paddles for gear changing. :shrug:
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

I only use my shifter when I'm messing about drifting or 'fun races', etc. My setup isn't exactly normal; I use clutch pedal as brake normally [has a better pressure], and my desk is concave and thus the shifter is "45 degrees" angled from what it should be...

I also have auto-clutch on, LFS still doesn't feel right with the "pre-load" gears 'bug' / lack of penalty for misuse of clutch etc so I tend to just stay away all together. And using a shifter without a clutch would just be weird in my opinion. Maybe one day when they fix up all these small things I'll start using my clutch as a clutch, but until then...
pogo

Post by pogo »

I'll sheepishly admit to using paddles when I have a shifter :shrug: I don't mind using it for a bit of fun, but I'm a good second slower per minute. I'll take competitiveness over slightly-greater immersion any day :cyclops:

A shifter-league is a great idea though, I'd have a go :yes:
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Definitely use the shifter... but the pre-select gears thing is a bit lame (and a fair bit faster in lower power cars)... and too easy to get in the habit of doing.

So you use paddles with a clutch Sambo? Doesn't that feel weird? :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I was using my clutch and shifter for ages. (still use the clutch for starts, and to bring the revs up if needed). But when told I'd shave a bit off my time with sequential, I stopped using the shifter in league races. Unfortunately not enough to keep me in div a! :P

I'd be interested in a few shifter races though. :)
Maybe even a shifter division for the next AAL series would be cool? :D

Shifter is definately more fun and more immersive. Things like GTL, and all the road going cars in LFS are fun. :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well glad to hear a lot of you stick with them even if they're a bit of a disadvantage. I agree that the whole gear box/clutch in LFS needs an overhaul, especially the road cars, the clutch and gear changes should be slowed to be more inline with someone doing it all manually. I figure the GTRs would be sequential shift with the stick and the formulas of course being sequential with the paddles so the GTR shifts could also be slowed just a touch as well, whatever is appropriate for each car and how you would change the gears in the real world.
My ultra competitive days are behind me so I intend to stick with the shifter as much as possible.
As for some races I was just thinking of something pretty casual, find a time that suits most people and just jump on a server for a few hours every now and then although something a bit more organised could be good too.
avaran

Post by avaran »

Sarsippius wrote:As for some races I was just thinking of something pretty casual, find a time that suits most people and just jump on a server for a few hours every now and then although something a bit more organised could be good too.
I think you're right, something that is at least semi organised, so there is a half decent turnout would be good. :)
burito

Post by burito »

I've been intently eyeing off the G25, but, I own a Wingman Formula Force, a much older wheel, that instead of using the VERY VERY noisy cogs, it uses minature rail guns, which apart from giving the obvious bonus to my e-penis, are very quiet, the only noise this wheel makes is that of the wheel turning inside its bearings, I'm sure if I got some RP7 into it it would be silent. Oh and there's also the thuds of the force travelling through the table etc. Point is it's very quiet.

So not long ago I brought a MOMO force thingamy from logitech, and I gave it away a few weeks later, because I'm a big rally nut, and the fast corrections required by my bad driving meant that the wheel was PAINFULLY LOUD, so loud I needed to use caps. Even louder than my speakers that make my ears hurt.

So, will I need headphones with active noise suppression if I buy a g25? Will active noise suppression be enough?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

i only use the shifter for fun.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

i only use the shifter for fun.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I go the shifter on my G25 unless i'm in an open wheeler.

Neil do u heel-toe? If i drop from 6th to 3rd and give the accel a good kick it seems fine... actually kept compression locking in one series but a longer harder kick to the accel pedal on down change put a stop to that.

G25's not too loud in my opinion burito... nothing to compare it to cept my last piece of crap thing tho so not really sure... Funky would have a better answer I'd say. Hit him up on the MNR forums mate. http://www.ozbee-racing.com/phpbb/index.php
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep I use G25 Full Manaul H-shifter in all the road cars, H-Shift or Auto Clutch Seq for GTR's ( depending on what I am doing), Seq only for Open Wheelers except BF1 which I use Paddles.
Only had the G25 for about 2 months, originally I was at least 2sec a min slower but I reckon now it is less than half that with the heel & toe technique getting better every race. It is just so immersive with the shifter and I will never go back to just Seq or Paddles.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Fandango wrote:I go the shifter on my G25 unless i'm in an open wheeler.

Neil do u heel-toe? If i drop from 6th to 3rd and give the accel a good kick it seems fine... actually kept compression locking in one series but a longer harder kick to the accel pedal on down change put a stop to that.
No I dont heel/toe, I left foot brake tho, so its cheating a bit ;)

I am on the accelerator during downshifts, but what i was saying was when id get over exciting going into a corner and downshift at about 200 km/h still, no amount of throttle blip will save that :P
avaran

Post by avaran »

The G25 gate being so tight, makes it real easy to shift into 1st instead of 3rd... god that's a good way to start a race... :P

The G25 is quiter than my Logi driving force, and momo from memory.

How do you guys go about setting up your LFS/G25 for all the different cars?

Do you go in and manually change all the settings for gears, buttons etc, plus jump out of LFS to change the wheel rotation 'lock', or is there an easier way I am not aware of?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

avaran wrote:EDIT: How do you guys go about setting up your LFS/G25 for all the different cars?

Do you go in and manually change all the settings for gears, buttons etc, plus jump out of LFS to change the wheel rotation 'lock', or is there an easier way I am not aware of?
1st off I use Logitech Wingman Profiler to assign the functions to the buttons, POV hat switch & paddles.
Then to swap from H-Pattern to Seq stick shift all I have to do is map the 1st & 2nd gear buttons to shift up / down in LFS, then re-map them back to the H-Pattern 1st & 2nd gear when you go back to H-Shift.
To do paddle shift is a bit more fiddly as I use the paddles as my look left/right buttons when using the shifter, so I created 2 profiles in Wingman Profiler, 1 for shifter the other for paddles. I have to import the paddle profile, re-map the POV hatch switch within Wingman as it doesn't do it automatically for some reason. I then map my look left & right buttons to the Seq shifter buttons in LFS for it to work. This is part of the reason I only do it for the BF1.
The beauty of using Wingman Profiler is that wheel rotation can be adjusted dynamically on the fly, I just match the setting between Wingman & LFS to what I want. Oh and everytime you swap profiles in wingman I have to set it as a persistent profile otherwise it sometimes doesn't detect all my Wingman mappings in LFS :?

Be interested to see how other approach this?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Working from memory here, set the G25/DFP to 720 degrees in both LFS and in the control panel. Set wheel turn compensation in LFS all the way across to 1.00. This ensures the wheel rotates to exactly the same degree as the incar wheel and automatically takes into account the actual rotation of each car.
As for gears I just change between shifter or sequential and re-assign the gears that need it in side LFS, which is only ever two from memory and only takes a couple of seconds.

I can't say I've noticed my G25 being noisy and I don't use headphones. The wheel is so good in all other respects as well so it'd have to be pretty bad to be a problem for me. However I have read some complaints about the noise when having to counter steer very quickly.

Edit: Gee I type slow sometimes :)
Just to add, I've never used the profiler, I also don't use the paddles for anything other than shifting which simplifies things I guess.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I really want a G25 for the shifter and higher quality wheel/ffb... but I still cant get past the lack of wheel face buttons.

Im not trying to de-rail this thread by any means..... I really want a sequential shifter :D
Steve
---
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

NeilPearson wrote:
Fandango wrote:I go the shifter on my G25 unless i'm in an open wheeler.

No I dont heel/toe, I left foot brake tho, so its cheating a bit ;)

I am on the accelerator during downshifts, but what i was saying was when id get over exciting going into a corner and downshift at about 200 km/h still, no amount of throttle blip will save that :P
Lol yeah fairnuff. I used to left foot brake till i got the G25 and started using a pedal instead of a button for clutch.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

^^^
thats a damn good point.... im a left foot braker too... (even tho right foot in a real car) - it would be tricky for me to adjust for games.... hmmm
Steve
---