Beckhamfest 2007

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Beckhamfest 2007

Post by Hz-Lab »

did anyone else watch the fucking joke that was on channel 10 tonight?

They lost the fricken game, and yet beckham gets 98% of the camera after the game and a fucking interview straight up. More interest on who was getting his shirt than the fact the sydney lads quite rightly handed them their asses on a platter...

feckin rediculous.

Jordan coulda played in an Exhibition game here in Aus back in the late 80's/early 90's when he was the face of Basketball and i doubt we woulda seen so much hype..

What is wrong with the world. Since when do sportspeople become bigger than the sport itself?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

the fact he plays for some LA team is an example of what a joke he's become. He is/was good, but his wife has made sure he is known more as a celeb than a sportsman.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I actually think it's her more than him that's interested in celebrity. He was the only one who played with some passion for his country. He actually does a lot of useful stuff with his millions. He's started sporting academies and does a lot for charity. She just wants to be famous.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I agree with Kev. It's his weird-breasted missus that throws him into the spotlight, then joins him, although I suspect he doesn't mind being extremely well paid for it :)

He hasn't played decent football for many years though, so this footy games are hardly newsworthy.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

oh im not sayin that the guy is a tosser or anything.. Good on him for getting to where he is. I'm just saying 10's coverage was deplorable.

What about the poor kids of some of the Sydney FC team, Just watched their fathers win one of the Biggest games (though pointless) of their career and after the game they don't even get to see them celebrate. I can't even tell you who won player of the match cos they only cut to him as he was delivering the last line of his speech... and without audio. But just prior they interviewed becks for like 5 minuts od which 3 was spent talking about the fecking spice girls..

so fecking gay
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Meh to me gives a good example of how good the Aussie soccer scene is going (and how shit the american money team is)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yeah I watched it. Way too much focus on him but there was 80,000 people there to see him so they had a point in making him the focus.

Glad we smashed them :)
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Didn't see the Ch10 stuff so can't comment... was an awesome event, and as a NSW resident who has a huge hate for Thugby League... I love to see a full stadium for sport that has nothing to do with the ARL...

As for Beck's... I am in awe of the media juggenaught that is David Beckham... If you are into reading, and into reading biographies... His is well and truly in the top 5... He is an incredibly simple person who dared to dream... he got fucked over along the way, and had the last laugh...

I could never image what it would be like to walk one day in his shoes, and I am not sure many people would be capable of it... he is one of a kind... and miles bigger than Jordan/Schumacher/Rossi/etc ever could be... he appeals on many different levels...
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

That's soccer for you, the least interesting part of the whole deal is the game itself.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Sarsippius wrote:That's soccer for you, the least interesting part of the whole deal is the game itself.
:rofl: :nod:
Steve
---
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I didn't watch it as I knew it would just be Camera's on Beckham the whole time, I can't believe the amount of cash that he has taken to got to the worst Team in the US comp....... I don't know about you but if I was able to play like him I think I might have gone to a decent English or Euro club for less cash but a bit more of a challenge, although his wife more than likely told him to go to LA

But you do have to hand it to him and the David Beckham marketing machine as it is massive, I'm sure he could just get paid endorsements and still be the highest paid soccer star in the world :tilt:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

10's commentary was terrible. The were calling it like an AFL match half the time.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.