New Lady Mobile

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

New Lady Mobile

Post by Vilante »

My fiance is after a new car, around $25-30K.

We're looking mostly at the Astra Coupe, has a 5 star safety rating, looks pretty smart (which is why she wants it) and goes well.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

I like the look of the Mazda 3 but I'm yet to have a drive. Focus is out cause it's ugly (and it's a Ford).
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

if u can put aside the badge, the fiesta is a tops little car. Also the Yaris yxr's are pretty noice.. i think they are yxr's lol.. something like that. My mates mrs has one, we went for a spin, goes like a little rocket, very fun car and the safety and fuel is quite good. As for the Fiesta, i had the priveledge of driving around tassie in one of the newer XR? models, was some of the best fun i've had driving. Have not heard much about the Astra's, the new shape doesnt do much for me, it looks to bouncey. I dunno. I didnt mind some of the older ones..

lmao.. get an Epica on a run out... great success they were. lol.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

If it where me.... I'd go the Madza 3.

A couple of reasons....

They are a top little car for the money, and will have the best resale value of anything in that price range.
Steve
---
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Mazda 3 has the best driving dynamics in the class but can be a bit noisey. The Focus is actually probably the best all-round car in that class at the moment (I don't count Ford Europe in my own hatred of Ford :p). For $30k you can just sneak into a 2 litre Golf (Comfortline) which is a very nice car. Or a little bit less and you can get a lower specced (Trendline) diesel which really is a good car. Golf will have best build quality and the classiest cabin in that price range (all Golfs Golfs also come with a cooled glove box - w00t!). I won't mention the Corolla because it's a Corolla. I like the look of the Astra too and for that price you can get a decently specced one. They're a bit in the middle of the class in that they don't have any stand out qualities but aren't too bad at anything either.

So:
Mazda 3 - driving
Focus - next best driving but better ride quality and comfort
Golf - best comfort and build
Astra - bit in the middle of all of the above...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
brocko

Post by brocko »

We have just bought a Mazda 3 and it is great to drive,looks good. Cant say i find it noisy but i'm coming from a Combi and Ute background. It is a great car and have been happy with it.
Sapient

Post by Sapient »

My wifey has always had Mazda3 (and 323 before that) until we recently upgraded her to a RAV4 to fit in all the bloody kids she keeps spitting out.

Anyway the 3 held its value and I do not recall a single mechanical misadventure with any of them, and apparently the latest model is the best yet........

Personally I would by her a road registered Club Car or something and tell her "its something we can share darling" Good Luck!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

lol Sap, I like that idea :)

I was thinking Golf Exar, but I've been warned off it due to parts/repair prices.

I like the look and feel of the Mazda most, feels more solid than the Astra. Time to go for another drive I think.

Thanks for your advice fellas :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante 11 wrote:lol Sap, I like that idea :)

I was thinking Golf Exar, but I've been warned off it due to parts/repair prices.

I like the look and feel of the Mazda most, feels more solid than the Astra. Time to go for another drive I think.

Thanks for your advice fellas :yes:
It's true that Golf will have more expensive service costs. Do make sure you check on the others too though - current Mazdas aren't particularly cheap to service compared to other Japanese cars. Most of my office drives Mazdas (we have a 2, 3, 6 & CX7 on lease) as we recently designed a Mazda dealership so get good deals through them and they're certainly no Toyotas when it comes to service cost. Definitely investigate costs of minor and major services and also find out what, if any the cost/interval is for the really big services like timing belts. A girl at work recently had her Astra timing belt changed at a Holden dealer and it cost her $1500 - this was at 60000km.

(Having said all that I agree with Mazda 3 - could get a Sport Maxx for that budget).
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Cheers Exar.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Use the 30 grand to finance and incredibly intricate and diabolical bank robbery (I would suggest hiring cutter for the planning, though rumor has it has fairly $$$), then buy your girl a Porsche and go holiday here..http://www.atlantis.com/

:D

that said, im 19 and to be honest im new to this whole 'being tried as an adult thing'..but it should work...whats the worst thing that could go wrong?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

:rofl: I'm in, you in too? You can drive the getaway car, Cutter can do the planning and Chaz can post the photos.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I was going to say hire chaz, but dont tell him the actual plan. Then when we rob the bank use him as a diversion when the police come and then bail on him :D

but your way sounds more...nice. But if he gets a bigger cut than me, ill start that rage thread up again.
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

I there a reason it has to be an econobox?
because you can't drive a house
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

ashsimmonds wrote:I there a reason it has to be an econobox?
Yeah she just got an area managers role involving a car allowance so she has to be careful with fuel economy and repair costs.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

i'd say if you like the mazda 3, go for it. I have a 323 which used to be my main car but now my old boy just uses it to putt around here and there. I had no problems with it at all bar a dodgy thermostat. Which mind you is a hard bastard to get to... oh yeah, and CV joints when i 1st got it, however they were well passed their replacement date. Thing is the most reliable thing i have ever owned, I have a couple mates with Mazda 6's and they have no problems either. Why not go for a 2nd hand 6? allthough the 3's do look cool
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hz-Lab wrote:i'd say if you like the mazda 3, go for it. I have a 323 which used to be my main car but now my old boy just uses it to putt around here and there. I had no problems with it at all bar a dodgy thermostat. Which mind you is a hard bastard to get to... oh yeah, and CV joints when i 1st got it, however they were well passed their replacement date. Thing is the most reliable thing i have ever owned, I have a couple mates with Mazda 6's and they have no problems either. Why not go for a 2nd hand 6? allthough the 3's do look cool
If going second hand then grab an SP23. :tilt:
Sapient

Post by Sapient »

Vil,
This might help if you want some broader comment from Mazda owners

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forum/index.php

...just don't tell them you know me :p
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

Get a diesel i30.....or you could ignore nearly every independent review and spend more on a brand.

Sorry I forgot to add..I wouldn't touch an Astra with a 10 foot pole.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

mofodoobs wrote:Sorry I forgot to add..I wouldn't touch an Astra with a 10 foot pole.
Pretty sure that's the one she has her heart set on.

Can you please expand? If I tell her that she'll think I'm trying to get my end in.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Dodge Avenger...

4 pack can holder/cooler, in the dash... if you can convince her to drive everywhere, you can have some proper roadies on a road trip... :)

also a chilled drink holder in the console... they certainly know how to encourage drinking and driving those Amirikans... :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante 11 wrote:
mofodoobs wrote:Sorry I forgot to add..I wouldn't touch an Astra with a 10 foot pole.

Can you please expand? If I tell her that she'll think I'm trying to get my end in.
Mofodoobs is actually right that the diesel i30 would be a good choice - I had forgotten about that one. Excellent value, great economy and really not too bad inside and out. When it comes down to it, there aren't really any 'dud' cars in the category. For what she'll use it for, she's unlikely to have any real hassles with any of the cars (except the Astra has a horribly wide C-Pillar that makes reversing a bitch :D) but it's worth test driving them all. It's a competitive segment and dealers could be willing to do a deal on a few of the cars in this price range.
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

Vilante 11 wrote:

lol

Ummm, a bit of personal experience with my mates Astra....Admittedly most of it seems to be minor, but pain in the arse problems like door seals continually falling off, being taken back to the dealer and having it happen again and again. He had a problem with the window which wasn't corrected and it went back again. That one could just be a dealer issue.
The only other evidence I have is from other feedback on forums in regards to the Astra owners having issues with engine management (cutting out-that type of thing), and suspension. So I guess you could take that with a grain of salt, but the door seal stuff would be enough for me. He has said that the engine is great, and I don't think he's had any suspension probs.
I haven't checked out the price or warranty details but that was because I didn't even consider it as an option a couple of months ago when I was looking.

The Mazda 3 is good, but when I weighed up the costs I bought a i30SR. - the petrol model. I couldn't wait for the diesel to come out and I didn't think I'd want it, but after doing some reading it would have been something to consider. I really like the SR. It has some cheesy features but it is a really good car, and looks pretty schmick.

The diesel (slx with protecz pack-which makes it really comparable to the Mazda3) is approx $2000 cheaper (from what I've see advertised), it puts out less power than the Mazda, but is lighter and has better fuel economy. Hyundai also have the 5yr compared to 3yr warranty of the Mazda. The Mazda is reported to handle better...The thing that put the Hyundai over the edge for me was a full size spare and not the compact that the Mazda has. It might not mean much to you.

Exar Kun is also right in that there's no real duds in the class, and it depends on your own opinion of how they handle, look, fuel econ, whatever matters to you, and most importantly: Your Wife.

Holden might have fixed the issues with the Astra too, given that they seem to be relatively minor.

Do a little bit of research and look at the numbers... I think things like the VW and other euro cars seem to be really pricey to me.

I hope that helps, and I didn't sound too much like a Hyundai salesman.. I just bought mine so I'm still excited.

I forgot; I didn't consider resale either, so that may be a consideration for you

Cheers
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

My workmate girlfriend brought a 04? astra from the showroom floor, the dealers have spend somthing like 11k reparing all the fuckups on it cause it was such a lemon.

You cant go wrong with Honda Jazz or a Swift.. Saying that if it was me I would spend that bit more on a Golf, which is what im planning on doing
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Not trying to be a smart ass so this is an honest question:
Do Ford still on Mazda or were they pawned off in there dash for cash this year? I dont think they were and the Ford dealer here sells Mazdas to for what its worth.
If so, just how similar are the Focus and the 3? Camry/Apollo similar or just sharing a few parts?
XLV SPORT
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Jiminee wrote: just how similar are the Focus and the 3?
ok, without having anything to back it up with. I'd say there are no similarities, apart from the obvious ones of 4 wheels, windows.. blah blah.

I think the last model 323's and Lasers were essentially the same thing. As were 626's and TX5 telstars back in the day. But i dont think they have had a universal model for quite a few years now.