TEST Patch X30 : Formula BMW / Track / Physics Updates

LFS chat
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Taking all the testing into account, you'd think that if he was going to fudge it he'd be better off increasing the clamping force than reducing the heating factor.

I normally think that Scawen makes really good decisions, but lately...
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

I still say its a good thing...

We were discussing last night, would be nothing better then hours of practicing, 20 minutes of qualifying, get tapped at the first corner, do a big smokey burn out to get away again and....

nmassive clutch damage.

Does it actually cool down again, get better after a few laps if that happens, or is the car stuffed?
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Not sure - I did 3 laps after heating it up to the start of the red in the bmw thing and it didn't seem to cool one bit.

...that brings me to tyres as well... they don't cool down quick enough either. I don't think there's any change in rate of cooling whether you're moving or not.
Really feels like there only a scale to heat them from friction with a linear function to cool down.
I.e. My point is driving quietly, when your tyres are 150 degrees they will cool quicker to 100 degrees than being stopped. Fair enough they shouldn't get that hot... but it's a simulator.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Test Patch X36 now released, did Scawen visit ARSE and read our discussion on the clutch heat?
Scawen from LFS Forum wrote: Changes in TEST PATCH X36:

Note: AFTER X30 IS INSTALLED, update to X35 with the auto updater - just click Multiplayer... List of Hosts

Clutch :
Clutch heating restored to X33 level
Stronger clutches in some cars based on engine inertia
Changed cars : UF1 / XFG / XRG / LX4 / LX6 / FZ5

AI :
FIX : KYoto National pit path was reversed
Umm, I would have thought the FBM needed a stronger clutch too :rolleyes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Doso

Post by Doso »

Pinger$ wrote:Not sure - I did 3 laps after heating it up to the start of the red in the bmw thing and it didn't seem to cool one bit.
clutches do cool down however the new BMW car is the worst, it heats up real quick and takes ages to cool down you pretty much have to pull into the pits and shut it off and wait for 4 or 5 laps, it really makes you think about flick spinning the car if you do end up spinning because that will burn the clutch
Pinger$ wrote:...that brings me to tyres as well... they don't cool down quick enough either. I don't think there's any change in rate of cooling whether you're moving or not.
Really feels like there only a scale to heat them from friction with a linear function to cool down.
I.e. My point is driving quietly, when your tyres are 150 degrees they will cool quicker to 100 degrees than being stopped. Fair enough they shouldn't get that hot... but it's a simulator.
the new system means that r1 tyres are for 1-2 lap qualifying only (the way it should be imho) but people are still using them for 5 laps races which by the end means there burning up r2/r3 dont suffer any where near as bad and seem to be able to cool alot faster. You have to remeber that r1's are super stick/soft tyres and hold heat alot more than say r2/r3's

in the end i quite like the changes and think there all for the positive as it brings more realism into the game imho
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I wonder if they will ever have separate wear/grip levels for the different tyres.
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Doso wrote:
Pinger$ wrote:Not sure - I did 3 laps after heating it up to the start of the red in the bmw thing and it didn't seem to cool one bit.
clutches do cool down however the new BMW car is the worst, it heats up real quick and takes ages to cool down you pretty much have to pull into the pits and shut it off and wait for 4 or 5 laps, it really makes you think about flick spinning the car if you do end up spinning because that will burn the clutch
Pinger$ wrote:...that brings me to tyres as well... they don't cool down quick enough either. I don't think there's any change in rate of cooling whether you're moving or not.

I think we will see a new thing in LFS tonight...

The NASCAR style wounded car, running around, 10 seconds off the pace, trying to salvage some points. :driver:
Doso

Post by Doso »

Gougoodthing wrote: I think we will see a new thing in LFS tonight...

The NASCAR style wounded car, running around, 10 seconds off the pace, trying to salvage some points. :driver:
the more realism the better i say :)
TassieDevil_Original

Post by TassieDevil_Original »

Doso wrote:
Gougoodthing wrote: I think we will see a new thing in LFS tonight...

the more realism the better i say :)
But not to the sacrifice to the game, if they keep on the way they are with some things it will significantly reduce the number of people using it and future buyers of the game and then that will hurt us the ones that like to race to our own CHOICE of realism, but making for less people and servers to race on, the game isn't any good without people to race.........
Crash Dummy
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Crash Dummy »

I don't know about everyone else but I'm 100% happy with LFS becomming the best driving simulation around even if it means driving away users because it's too hard. If it's too hard i know some games that they can take up instead. They have drag racing, circuit, drifting and none of the hard realistic stuff of LFS. Yeah to those that complain. Please buy Need For Speed Pro Street.
Never argue with a idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
slow069

Post by slow069 »

Crash Dummy wrote:I don't know about everyone else but I'm 100% happy with LFS becomming the best driving simulation around even if it means driving away users because it's too hard. If it's too hard i know some games that they can take up instead. They have drag racing, circuit, drifting and none of the hard realistic stuff of LFS. Yeah to those that complain. Please buy Need For Speed Pro Street.
agreed

tassie are you goig through pms?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999095303]Image[/url]
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

LFS isn't too hard :) It's probably not hard enough in some cases... very rarely in LFS do you see someone get it sideways, then bite again and flick off the opposite side of the track. IRL this happens a lot... don't see it in LFS.... yet :)
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

Pinger$ wrote:LFS isn't too hard :) It's probably not hard enough in some cases... very rarely in LFS do you see someone get it sideways, then bite again and flick off the opposite side of the track. IRL this happens a lot... don't see it in LFS.... yet :)
it happened a few times in tonight's AAL race ;) Weeeeeeeee

But I have to agree with the slower cars. If they're sideways, they usually just slide. There's no sideways slide then suddenly grip and flip.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

GustoAU wrote:
Pinger$ wrote:LFS isn't too hard :) It's probably not hard enough in some cases... very rarely in LFS do you see someone get it sideways, then bite again and flick off the opposite side of the track. IRL this happens a lot... don't see it in LFS.... yet :)

But I have to agree with the slower cars. If they're sideways, they usually just slide. There's no sideways slide then suddenly grip and flip.
Yeah the FBM can bite back hard with the new test patch, not sure if the standard cars have changed to handle like that as well as I haven't had a chance to drive any of them in anger yet.
Dukester

richo

Post by richo »

Yeah when it lets go its often not good, but you can powerslide it really nicely, specially on the esses after the back straight , i can drift it through there nicely .

Probably by accident but it responds really well to just kicking in more power, maybe thats why i,m so slow in it more driving and less sliding:)
[]D [] []v[] []D
TassieDevil_Original

slow069 wrote:
Crash Dummy wrote:I don't know about everyone else but I'm 100% happy with LFS becomming the best driving simulation around even if it means driving away users because it's too hard. If it's too hard i know some games that they can take up instead. They have drag racing, circuit, drifting and none of the hard realistic stuff of LFS. Yeah to those that complain. Please buy Need For Speed Pro Street.
agreed

tassie are you goig through pms?
Fuck off, it's comments like you c**t* that just piss me off :no:
TassieDevil_Original

Flinty72 wrote:
GustoAU wrote:

Yeah the FBM can bite back hard with the new test patch, not sure if the standard cars have changed to handle like that as well as I haven't had a chance to drive any of them in anger yet.
Well if you have actually driven standard cars hard, you will find that they don't actually flick around too much when you know how to drive, because over the years I have thrown quite a few cars around full lock sideways in the dry in the wet and very rarely ended up with the old tank slapper, even in my big old HX Statesman, and my old VN wagon at the moment is often thrown around corners, more so in the wet than the dry, but again, actually don't think I have lost it in this one at all, and I have had it as far sideways as you can get, just no more steering left to go any further.

I know I am getting pissed off with peoples comments to me, but I am getting sick of being told that I can't I comment about somebody elses opinion, and also in the same breath they bag my OPINION, so just shut the fuck up and leave me alone. Because all this shit is really turning me off the game even more. And I do like realism, and if people were so keen on it then they would be using chase cams, bonnet cams and so on to drive, and no guage overlay to read speedo's and the like, and the cars would end up flying 50 feet into the air and all that crap.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

TassieDevil_Original wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:
GustoAU wrote: it happened a few times in tonight's AAL race ;) Weeeeeeeee

Well if you have actually driven standard cars hard, you will find that they don't actually flick around too much when you know how to drive, because over the years I have thrown quite a few cars around full lock sideways in the dry in the wet and very rarely ended up with the old tank slapper, even in my big old HX Statesman, and my old VN wagon at the moment is often thrown around corners, more so in the wet than the dry, but again, actually don't think I have lost it in this one at all, and I have had it as far sideways as you can get, just no more steering left to go any further.

I know I am getting pissed off with peoples comments to me, but I am getting sick of being told that I can't I comment about somebody elses opinion, and also in the same breath they bag my OPINION, so just shut the fuck up and leave me alone. Because all this shit is really turning me off the game even more. And I do like realism, and if people were so keen on it then they would be using chase cams, bonnet cams and so on to drive, and no guage overlay to read speedo's and the like, and the cars would end up flying 50 feet into the air and all that crap.
Sounds like you need some support, which thread is it Tassie, I would like to read what the Euro n00bs are saying?
Last edited by Duke on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dukester

Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Yes, I've driven standard cars hard...

vs commodore - doesn't really snap, but i haven't had it very sideways
r31 skyline - never snapped
shitter scorpion - never snapped
toyota sprinter - written off eventually after snapping for the last time :)

Point is some cars have a tendency to do it, others not so much - surely you agree the slower cars in LFS are too slippery? as they have always been. Maybe it's that the grip level feels identical between tracks and even between corners... just too used to it.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

<Disclaimer> The below post contains AstrO's views and only AstrO's views </Disclaimer>

I believe that adding too much "realism" to a game is a bad thing. A computer (and connected controllers) CAN'T simulate most things that happen in real life and forcing these things onto users is just bad game design. For example my computer has the following limitations...
  • It can't display pictures at insanely high (human eye level) resolutions. In fact I'm sure it would be be considered legally blind (e.g. one low resolution eye would not be considered good sight).
  • The display shows only a tiny area of what you would see in real life and you can't look around like you would in real car
  • Your average computer seating position is nothing like a real car (or even close to a SS formula racer)
  • Pedals have ZERO feel & feedback
  • Force feedback on a standard controller (e.g. wheel) is nothing like real life
  • No driving forces are effecting your body... (which I guess is a good thing for fighting games. I wouldn't be very impressed if I was kicked in the balls because of a game.)
  • Sound effects are OK, but still not close to being realistic
If everyone had a perfect racing simulator at home then we wouldn't need options for things like auto-clutch, auto-gearbox, virtual mirrors, virtual dash overlays, look left/right/back, etc... Features like clutch overheat are taking things a bit too far when for one, I don't have a clutch pedal, and two, if I did have a clutch pedal I still wouldn't be able to feel when the clutch was engaged because of lack of pedal forces. I believe the developers would be better off spending their time adding features like weather effects and night mode. Not developing things that only please a small portion of the target audience and removing things that anger the majority (e.g. 90 degree look).
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
avaran

Post by avaran »

You've never seen me race, have you? :shake: :lol:
avaran

Post by avaran »

AstrO wrote: I believe the developers would be better off spending their time adding features like weather effects and night mode. Not developing things that only please a small portion of the target audience and removing things that anger the majority (e.g. 90 degree look).
Fug yeah!
Chaz
Stig

Post by Chaz »

what astro said
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

yeah but, no but, yeah but...

gotta look to the future... kids of today will grow up with superpowerful computers, clutch pedals will be mandatory with new release wheels, and LFS is going to be the MOST realistic driving simulator around, it'll be used to train drivers like flight simulators are....
LFS is ahead of the rest already, the devs are in it for the long run.... strap yourselves in, and hang on!!!
balls & boobs. . .
richo

Post by richo »

Stop baiting Sterling like that please!
[]D [] []v[] []D