Cricket. Seems not even Cricket Australia saw this coming?

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:i'm suprised no one has mentioned the fact that a black fella is calling another black fella a monkey. That's the weirdest bit for me.

So what is worse, Symonds being called a monkey, or when one of the darkie teams(can't remember who) said something nasty about McGraths wife? I reckon with what McGraths wife was going through at the time he would have been justified dropping him on his arse.
Nope. McGrath walked into that sledge. He said to Ramnaresh Sarwan "What does Brian Lara's cock taste like?" Sarwan replied "I don't know, ask your wife." Another case of an Aussie dishing it out, but not taking it. OOOh Argghhh went berko because his missus was crook, but he started it off and Sarwan got under his skin with a ripper reply. Rod March said to Ian Botham in one test......"So Ian, how's your wife......and my kids?" Other times, a top sledge has even had the fielding team pissing themselves. This one between McGrath and Brandes from South Africa.....McGrath asked Brandes how come he was so fat. Brandes replied "because every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit". Apparently the slips cordon were still giggling overs later.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Having followed the story, I think both teams play quite a equal part in the issue.
Australia have shown massive arrogance, whether or not thats justified with there recent form is another story.

I think the whole monkey thing became more of an issue not because of what was said, but more because of spite.

I would just like to see em talk it out, and the cricket get back on, but i hate the fact that India is throwing there weight around threating to dump the tour, when its fairly certain they arnt going quit the tour, it would cost them a mint
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

There has also been something floating around about an agreement between Ponting and Kumble before the sries that if ANY racist comments were made it was to be immediately reported to the umpires to prevent things becoming even more heated. Ponting has obviously followed this but for the most part this agreement is not being widely reported.
XLV SPORT
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

Jiminee wrote:There has also been something floating around about an agreement between Ponting and Kumble before the sries that if ANY racist comments were made it was to be immediately reported to the umpires to prevent things becoming even more heated. Ponting has obviously followed this but for the most part this agreement is not being widely reported.
correct!

and after the racial slurs towards Symonds in the last India tour, and the crap from that, India agreed not to use the term "monkey" again. They did, and Ponting did as asked by the Umpires. Report any racial slurs.

India wont quit the tour. All the teams have signed binding contracts for the tours. Pulling out would leave them open to be sued for compensation by the TV and radio stations, sports grounds etc for loss of income and breach of contract. Plus heavily fined by the ICC and possibly sued as well.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

It is estimated that it will cost the BCCI approx. A$2.3m to pull out of the tour.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I'd be happy to see Ponting go, but NFI who would replace him. I don't like the way they're playing the game these days, sporting wise, and I see it as the captains job to direct that on the field. in my opinion Ponting has taken on field behaviour in the wrong direction.

I know sledging has long been a part of cricket, but the level of conflict, and other countries attitudes towards our team seems to have taken a dive under Ponting.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

matticooper wrote:It is estimated that it will cost the BCCI approx. A$2.3m to pull out of the tour.
Thats just the direct fine for breaching the contract to the ICC as far as im aware, ACB/Stadiums/Channel 9 ect.. might be able to sue for lossed revnew, which im sure would be a nice packet of money
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

it's funny how different sports work, the V8's are trying to get more sledging between drivers, and cricket is going the other way. The same people calling for Ponting's head and the team to be more gentlemanly are the same people who sit and watch the brutality of State Of Origin and cheer. But in cricket it's unacceptable. Providing they aren't racist i say bring it on.

DarrenM wrote: I know sledging has long been a part of cricket, but the level of conflict, and other countries attitudes towards our team seems to have taken a dive under Ponting.
maybe they can sit down for tea and scones and have a have a jolly old time instead. Fuck that, it should be war on the field. :nod:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Steve Bucknor has been replaced by Billy "Crooked Finger" Bowden for Perth test.

Good decision!
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Billy Bowden deserves his own sitcom.. where is finger is the Punchline...

can imagine it now...

big Merv Hughes on the couch.. "You know i've always wondered how to catch a greasy pig"

cue Billy with the bent finger.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I like Billy Bowden. There is a sense of comedy along with usually solid skills in his umpiring.

Under Ponting, Australia seems to be treating every other team with absolute contempt. That is a big part of why India said only one team is playing within the spirit of the game.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

If the Dickhead Indians had suitably addressed the "Monkey"issue when it arose last year in India, instead of ignoring it, none of this would have happened...I think they saw it as a joke...You have Indian media bleeting that the Indians are not being treated with the respect they deserve...bloody short memories I reckon.

Anyway, out of all the comments I have heard today, Tim Lane made the most sense...

"We were taught by our dads, when we played as youngsters, that even when the Umpire is wrong, hes still right"

The Indians should remember that...and get on and play the game...F**king sooks...
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Spirit of the game. If your out and you know it. you walk. Aussies didn't do that.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

so what are the umpires there for? I don't agree with walking, should racing drivers do a voluntary drive through if they hit someone? "sorry team i'm coming in, i fell really bad about it, i upset his race and it's only fair" Bollocks, the umpires are there for a reason and the players shouldn't be doing their jobs for them. This isn't district cricket anymore, it's a big big dollar business.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Cricket isn't racing. Different set of "spirit of the game" rules.
Last edited by Nigel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

fourthof5 wrote:Cricket isn't racing. Different set of "spirit of the game" rules.
Then what are the umpires for? There are bloody few batsmen that will walk every time. I can bet a million bucks that the Indian team isn't full of them either.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

fourthof5 wrote:Cricket isn't racing. Different set of "spirit of the game" rules.
why because it was done in the 70's when it wasn't much more than an amateur sport? Tell me why walking is such an important thing? This whole spirit of the rules thing keeps coming up from ex players who played in the 70's & 80's.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Cricket is a gentlemans game (or it should be). It shouldn't matter if its big business or not. If you want an example of that Football is perhaps the biggest game there is world wide, yet you won't find countries like Brasil playing the game with a "do what ever it takes / win at all costs" attitude to winning. They must play with "Brasilian style". If they don't the spectators would revolt. Think Bodyline. That was "win at all costs" attitude which was not within the spirit of the game. I watch cricket because I like its "spirit of the game" style. There are enough sports out there that are all push the rules to N'th degree and win at all costs. And you know what. They are all fucking boring.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

fourthof5 wrote:Spirit of the game. If your out and you know it. you walk. Aussies didn't do that.
Gilchrist?

The problem with walking isn't the bloke who always does, or always doesn't. It is with the guy who will walk when things are going ok for him and/or the team, but doesn't walk if he is in a slump, or the team is getting a hiding.

And, I don't see how appealing for a catch you know damn well the guy didn't hit, is any worse an offence than not walking. Jesus, you average grade cricketer can tell the difference between the noise of an edge of the bat or brushing the pad on the way through (like what happened to Dravid). Its pretty clear that alot of the international teams wear umpires down with their constant appealing. They should be fined or suspended for making stupid appeals.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:
why because it was done in the 70's when it wasn't much more than an amateur sport? Tell me why walking is such an important thing? This whole spirit of the rules thing keeps coming up from ex players who played in the 70's & 80's.
It wasn't done back then either. It has always been a minority that walk. WG Grace refused to walk. Chappelli instructed his players not to walk.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

fourthof5 wrote:Cricket is a gentlemans game (or it should be).
it's not the 1920's any more old chap.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Next people will be saying it is ok to Mankad a batsman! :eek:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Gentlemens game...

Walking...

Not appealing...

Firstly, its no longer a gentlemens game, the huge amount of money, contracts ect has ensured that...

Walking, load of crap. Doesnt work in the backyard, wont work at international level as someone will not play by the rules...

Lot of noise out there in the middle. I have played country cricket where I have been batting and heard the snick from the non strikers end and the umpy hasnt...and thats on a country oval...bugger all noise...Umpires have always and will always make errors...thats to be human...

Not appealing...They all bloody do it..not just Australia...its now for better or wosre part of the game...unsure how you could fine a team for appealing, as everyone has a different persepctive on the action...and how do you define a "Stupid" appeal...?
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

its no longer a gentlemans game. agree totally with Haze :)

in the modern game, you play the umpires call. liken it to tennis. Roche, Rosewall and others of that era played the umpires call. no matter if you saw the ball as out, you keep playing until the umpire calls out. Same with cricket. If the umpire calls you out, you're out. If he turns the appeal down, you're not out. No batsman should walk, unless the Captains have agreed to walk before the series began, which has happened before.

The umpires are under so much pressure, as they know every appeal will be shown hundreds of times in slo-mo and their decisions put under the microscope. Try being an umpire, standing 90% of the time in one spot. they're human and make mistakes. every game, football, tennis, soccer etc, you get good calls and you get bad calls. Over time, they even out.