Cricket. Seems not even Cricket Australia saw this coming?

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Cricket. Seems not even Cricket Australia saw this coming?

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

from what they were saying on ABC tonight the Indians don't see the term 'monkey' as a racial slur. More a general insult. That's why they have their knickers in a knot. This isn't going to make them feel any more welcome if they keep on with this.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

fuck em, they can go get fucked

seriously pissed off, just paid $85 for gold seats at the 1 dayer
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

This sounds just as stupid as the Japanese calling us racist for objecting to whale hunting!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

lol

Just now on the Channel 10 news break they said India claim they haven't stopped the tour.

In other news, Indian cricket officials have sent over an organ grinder to replace Harbhajan hoping it will put Symonds off his game.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

w00dsy wrote:from what they were saying on ABC tonight the Indians don't see the term 'monkey' as a racial slur. More a general insult. That's why they have their knickers in a knot. This isn't going to make them feel any more welcome if they keep on with this.
Thats the point. Different cultures have different understandings and different triggers. To be honest if they really want to insult Symonds they would have said "Gollywog". In general, Australia throws out a lot of crap at people (in supposedly good humor) but aren't terribly good at taking it.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Bloody wankers and sore loosers...

We lost the ashes in 05 to crappy umpiring...get over it...it goes both ways...

Yeah, Morgan Freeman and his mate were ordinary, but if your gunna have 8 umps only WW then they are gunna get burned out..FFS they would never be home..

I am unsure calling someone a Monkey is a racial slur, but I do not know all the details...must be something their for them to react like they did and suspend him I guess...

So to the Indian Cricket team...If you are gunna winge..take your bat and bat and F**k off home...

Tossers...

Australia should field a team of quicks in Perth, and bowl nothing but bouncers and beam balls!

:)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Vilante 11 wrote:lol

Just now on the Channel 10 news break they said India claim they haven't stopped the tour.
just suspended while they wait for the appeal. But they haven't cancelled it.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Hazelb wrote:Bloody wankers and sore loosers...

We lost the ashes in 05 to crappy umpiring...get over it...it goes both ways...

Yeah, Morgan Freeman and his mate were ordinary, but if your gunna have 8 umps only WW then they are gunna get burned out..FFS they would never be home..

I am unsure calling someone a Monkey is a racial slur, but I do not know all the details...must be something their for them to react like they did and suspend him I guess...

So to the Indian Cricket team...If you are gunna winge..take your bat and bat and F**k off home...

Tossers...

Australia should field a team of quicks in Perth, and bowl nothing but bouncers and beam balls!

:)
Amen, their cricket is shocking and their sportsmanship is shocking...For Kumble to say "only one team was playing in the spirit of the game" was outrageous. Someone needs to take indian cricket by the balls and straighten things out. Yes that wasnt the fairest match, but if you want to play in the spirit of the game then move on to perth and give it your best shot and forget about the last match, dont call the folks back home and have a winge...
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Interesting views Hazel and Sambo. An interesting poll in the SMH.

Harbhajan and the M-word

What do you think of the monkey sledging controversy?
It's not a racist insult - 12%

He should not have said it, but then again he should not have been suspended - 8%

Australia has long used sledging. They can dish it out, but can't take it - 43%

It is a racist slur and it's right that he has been suspended - 11%

It was wrong, but Ponting should have just let it stay on the field - 12%

Any player who resorts to racist insults should cop a very severe penalty - 10%

Sledging is part of cricket, especially at the Test level - 3%

Total Votes: 24761

24761 votes and 43% saying we can dish it out but cant take it. And I agree.

Peter Roebuck is calling for Pontings sacking today in the paper. And for Gilly and Haydos to hang up their boots. Radical views, but I cant say I disagree. Given our countries love of dropping the tall poppies, I am surprised it has taken this long for people to turn on the Australian team. Like I said earlier in the thread, they have lost my respect. They are certainly a talented bunch, but lead by Ponting, an arrogant bunch of bullies that can't have things not go their way. It pains me to say it, I have watched cricket all my life, and played to state level as a kid, but I can say for the 1st time, I don't like alot about the current team, most of all, the captain!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

As a Non-Australian Cricket fan, I have seen this idea of Australia not being able to take what they dish out a lot over the years. But it has been far far worse under Ponting. In fact I think it really got worse after they lost the Ashes to England. Or perhaps (due to the lose) that when it was more noticeable to others.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah Im sorry Sambo and Hazel I cant agree at all...

The Indians have shown great sportsmanship.. The Aussies have not, they haven't for a few years now.. since Steve Waugh retired (funny that). They all rushed to congratulate Symonds when he got his 160.. NONE of the aussies congratulated Tendulker when he got out did they? When Australia won is all US US US.. none of them went to commiserate the departing indian batsmen.. the kind of thing we insist our kids should do.

The Umpiring was bad but the ICC decision was even worse... If I call the cops and say you stole $1000 from me and get your mate to back you up will they convict me... no, as their's no evidence. Well the ICC convicted Harbhajan with no evidence aside from Symonds and a couple of mates.
eek
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Simple. Call both teams into 1 room. You boys in the blue pyjamas stand over there... you boys in the canary yellow pyjamas stand over there.

Now... we're going to Perth and we're going to play the 3rd test. There will be no bullshit. If there is a slight hint of any bullshit you will be sent home not to play cricket for the remainder of the series. If either captain can't control their players, they too will be joining them. All in agreeance... good... now get on with it you bastard monkeys.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I think it's hard to say without being on the field.

I know the Aussie team are well known for being big sledgers but never has it been brought back to racial taunts or anything more serious than a "normal" sledge (that we know of). I reckon other teams just aren't able to match the sledging, because of many factors, English being their second language, not being on top of their game etc that they (in India's case) have had to resort to underhanded tactics. The Ashes series are always a laugh because they both sledge so well (so much so they laugh at each other).

So what if they've become arrogant, in a way they need to be to have the confidence to destroy teams (which is what we pay them to do), it's often a result of winning and with a large team (coaches staff etc) the group mentality comes about and they all become full of themselves.

I can understand why people might think they can't take it like they can give it but is that really a reason to go so hard against them? Call for sackings? I must be missing something. They haven't exactly disgraced the country, Ponting was asked to report racism and he did.

As far as I can see racism is another level of sledging that's not welcome in the game. If Ponting and the Aussie's did the right thing in reporting it (and it did happen) and they don't do it themselves then they're getting the pointy end of the stick. If not then they deserve everything they're getting. It's just hard to know who's telling the truth.

I'm rambling.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

pixelboy wrote:NONE of the aussies congratulated Tendulker when he got out did they?
They did congratulate him when he got to 150.

I think you kinda have it right Matti. Stop the bullshit and play cricket. But then they did that after the one day series in India didn't they?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Vilante 11 wrote:I think it's hard to say without being on the field.

I know the Aussie team are well known for being big sledgers but never has it been brought back to racial taunts or anything more serious than a "normal" sledge (that we know of).
Normal to who? Thats the problem. Normal to Australia's culturally isn't the same as what's normal to people from other countries. Australia just seems to think they can say what they like as its "normal" for them and so becomes just part of the game. The moment someone does something which is outside the "Australian Norm" its suddenly wrong. Seriously Monkey really isn't that big a deal. If you want to get right down to it ALL humans are Monkeys. So it all becomes a case of you can only Seldge according to the Australian code of sledging. That is a load of shit.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Well not really sure how you know exactly what's been said on the field Fourth but I do know it was mentioned that Australia have been told not to use the word "Bastard" on the field as it's highly offensive in India (though used here freely) and they have done as they were asked. This was mentioned in the telecast after the incident with Symonds.

Once again I don't know any of this for sure, no one does, which is my point, we are quick to shoot them down when we only know what the commentators and media tell us.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Nige, the Monkey taunt stems back to English soccer crowds doing that whenever a black player pissed them off. Did you know Symonds has some West Indian blood (And was actually born in, and could have played for England!)? So I can understand why he might get a bit pissed off. BUT, and it is a big but, I have talked to a few state cricketers about sledging, and they have all said, you say what you think you can get away with. Some blokes don't make racial remarks, but some do. So it is a very good chance that, in the heat of the battle, it happens.

Matti has got it right. Drag them all into a room and give them a blast. Tell them to get on with playing good cricket, and if anyone looks like getting out of hand, they are banned for the series.

One more thing. As much as I have spent the last few days putting the boot into the Aussies, it isn't just them. Old mate Ajuna Ranatunga was apparently pretty handy with a sledge, and usually in his own language. I think it was in one of the S Waugh diaries that there was an anecdote about Ranatunga making racist remarks, picked up by an ex-pat at a hotel, about the aussies. God know what it would have been, because from what I can recall, it is usually us round eyed, white bastards that are making the racist comments.

What I would like to see is the aussies winning with a bit more grace and respect. To see them jumping around like girls at a Justion TImberlake concert when they won was a bit much for me.
Last edited by norbs on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Is it just possible here this is all a scam, setup or scheme by the Indians to disrupt the Australians? Lets look at what team would have to resort to dodgy tactics to have a chance at winning?
Also, lets look at which team can use the media and ICC bias in its favour? It sure as heck is not the Australians. The Indians are desperate, they just can not accept being continually beaten by the Aussies and beaten badly to. It is not feasible to them that they are simply being outplayed and outworked, despite the fact they are one of the laziest, softest teams ever they appear to feel that they still deserve to win and if that doesn't happen then the other side must be cheating.
Whats all this crap about them deserving to draw the Sydney test? Is this another 'moral champion' thing? Thats just crap, they dont automatically deserve anything, I dont care how well they played for 3 or 4 days, the reality is on the last day when it mattered most they were terrible, they bowled defensively, battered defensively and look what happened?
I am absolutely sick of this, it is a cultural problem but I know which side has the problem. How can any team be so arrogant that they genuinely feel that they deserve to win? Did we hear anything from the Australians that they deserved to win the Ashes in 05? They probably expected to win and played as such but they got a rude shock and accepted it (with some whinging no doubt but not as bad as this) went away and rebuilt the team into the absolute best in the world.
If the Indians were completely innocent in this as well I may have some sympathy but they are far from it.
This all reminds me of playing in the backyard against your baby brother. nytime something happens he doesn't like he whinges to Mummy knowing she will side with him cos he is little and everyone feels sorry for him.
XLV SPORT
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

norbs wrote:Nige, the Monkey taunt stems back to English soccer crowds doing that whenever a black player pissed them off. Did you know Symonds has some West Indian blood (And was actually born in, and could have played for England!)? So I can understand why he might get a bit pissed off. BUT, and it is a big but, I have talked to a few state cricketers about sledging, and they have all said, you say what you think you can get away with. Some blokes don't make racial remarks, but some do. So it is a very good chance that, in the heat of the battle, it happens.
Oh I know that. I just don't think its that high on the "Oh My God you called me a name Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" list. As I said if they really wanted to insult him, you called have gone for Gollywog. What I want to see is Austrtalia behaving like the sportsmen they have been and can be rather what they are at the moment. I still wont support them, but I might enjoy the games a little more.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

matticooper wrote:Simple. Call both teams into 1 room. You boys in the blue pyjamas stand over there... you boys in the canary yellow pyjamas stand over there.

Now... we're going to Perth and we're going to play the 3rd test. There will be no bullshit. If there is a slight hint of any bullshit you will be sent home not to play cricket for the remainder of the series. If either captain can't control their players, they too will be joining them. All in agreeance... good... now get on with it you bastard monkeys.
Canary Yellow!!!! Thats Australian Gold my friend and dont you fucking forget it :D

:aussie:
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

fourthof5 wrote: Oh I know that. I just don't think its that high on the "Oh My God you called me a name Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" list. As I said if they really wanted to insult him, you called have gone for Gollywog. What I want to see is Austrtalia behaving like the sportsmen they have been and can be rather what they are at the moment. I still wont support them, but I might enjoy the games a little more.
It all depends Nige. Unless you are a black bloke, you don't know what gets them going. I reckonSymonds would laugh at Gollywog.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

And even if monkey doesn't mean anything really to people in general, it's constantly been directed towards Symonds in particular - throughout the champions trophy and now back here. There must be something more to it than obviously appears.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Bauer wrote:
matticooper wrote:Simple. Call both teams into 1 room. You boys in the blue pyjamas stand over there... you boys in the canary yellow pyjamas stand over there.

Canary Yellow!!!! Thats Australian Gold my friend and dont you fucking forget it :D

:aussie:
I've been waiting... and waiting... and waiting and finally someone spots it. Onya Bauer :yes:

Canary Yellow indeed!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i'm suprised no one has mentioned the fact that a black fella is calling another black fella a monkey. That's the weirdest bit for me.

So what is worse, Symonds being called a monkey, or when one of the darkie teams(can't remember who) said something nasty about McGraths wife? I reckon with what McGraths wife was going through at the time he would have been justified dropping him on his arse.