Cricket. Seems not even Cricket Australia saw this coming?

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

pixelboy wrote:Yeah Im sorry Sambo and Hazel I cant agree at all...

The Indians have shown great sportsmanship.. The Aussies have not, they haven't for a few years now.. since Steve Waugh retired (funny that). They all rushed to congratulate Symonds when he got his 160.. NONE of the aussies congratulated Tendulker when he got out did they? When Australia won is all US US US.. none of them went to commiserate the departing indian batsmen.. the kind of thing we insist our kids should do.

The Umpiring was bad but the ICC decision was even worse... If I call the cops and say you stole $1000 from me and get your mate to back you up will they convict me... no, as their's no evidence. Well the ICC convicted Harbhajan with no evidence aside from Symonds and a couple of mates.
Yeah, I must say I was perhaps a bit quick to judge. I read a comment Steve Waugh wrote for an Australian newspaper, It read something like "The two captains should have sat down and discussed their point of views before letting it get to the stage where it damages not only the respective countries cricket associations but cricket as a whole". After reading that, it did make me realize the difference in attitude of the Australian team from past years. Some of the currentAustralian cricketers have not handled themselves well. Interesting you bring up Tendulkar Pix, I have to say I admired the way he pulled Harbhajan aside and told him too keep quiet, and his innings as you said appeared to go unnoticed, which it certainly should not have done. This makes me think that there are people on both sides who are still interested in playing the game in great sportsmanship, but there are also some who just ruin it and blow things out of proportions. The reason behind what I said was people like Kumble going out to the press and making accusations like that serve no purpose what so ever. Ricky Ponting, I dont believe, would have done that or even considered it. Up until I herd Kumble say that, I had a good deal of respect for him especially from his innings in attempt to seal a draw.

@ walking:

Quite simply, for every time you should have walked there will be a time where you should not have.
If you have the guts to own up and walk then full credit to you, its a great gesture of sportsmanship. In my opinion when you walk you show that you respect the opposition so much that you would expect the same level of fairness from one of their batsmen.
Though, it should always be up to the umpires, otherwise you get people staying out in the middle when they have clearly been told they have been dismissed, which in my opinion undermines the umpires who are an integral part of the game and should be respected.

The Gilchrist\Dravid dismissal was a shock to me, Adam Gilchrist is usually the first person to be straight and honest about any appeal or dismissal in the game. In his defense and the umpire, that delivery glanced the pad where is bat was tucked in behind, so from Gilly's\Umpires perspective that deviation in flight path would have looked as if it hit the bat. You cant forget that the camera angle that showed the ball hitting the pad was about 45 degrees offset from the umpires view. It was a very tough call.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

fourthof5 wrote:If you want an example of that Football is perhaps the biggest game there is world wide, yet you won't find countries like Brasil playing the game with a "do what ever it takes / win at all costs" attitude to winning. They must play with "Brasilian style".
My god you are full of it sometimes :yikes:

Exhibit A: Brazil v Turkey - 2002 World Cup - Rivaldo with the worst dive in the history of football
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Sambo wrote:You cant forget that the camera angle that showed the ball hitting the pad was about 45 degrees offset from the umpires view. It was a very tough call.
Yeah but the rules of the game state that if there is doubt, its NOT OUT!

Whilst I dont agree that they should change officials based on requests from either team, the standard of umpiring just wasn't good enough at SCG, something had to happen.
eek
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Peptis wrote:
fourthof5 wrote:If you want an example of that Football is perhaps the biggest game there is world wide, yet you won't find countries like Brasil playing the game with a "do what ever it takes / win at all costs" attitude to winning. They must play with "Brasilian style".

Exhibit A: Brazil v Turkey - 2002 World Cup - Rivaldo with the worst dive in the history of football
Game set match with that post right there.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Isn't Brazil the dirtiest soccer country?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Peptis wrote:

And the fans would not have liked that, which is my point.
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

W00dsy wrote:Isn't Brazil the dirtiest soccer country?
Nope, that would be Australia, at least when Muscat is playing :p

fourthof5 wrote:And the fans would not have liked that. Which is my point.
fourthof5 wrote:yet you won't find countries like Brasil playing the game with a "do what ever it takes / win at all costs" attitude
Perhaps your definition of "won't" differs from mine. I'm happy to let it go through to the keeper though.
Last edited by Peptis on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

fourthof5 wrote:
Peptis wrote:

And the fans would not have liked that. Which is my point.
you've lost me.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

fourthof5 wrote:
Peptis wrote:

And the fans would not have liked that, which is my point.
I'm happy to let it go through to the keeper though.
In keeping with Peptis cricket analogies, that is a wrong'un of a post 4th :D
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

What's this? 3 pages?

The umpires made a few errors, the losing team whinged, the media saw a story with no work required.

It's all just cricket.........

:p
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I noticed everyone ignored the underhanded, sorry, underarm delivery video I posted though :) Brasil tends to play with a certain flare. Its part of their tradition to play like that. You would not see them change that style just because there is a more efficient way of playing / winning. That is what I meant. Besides, fans would freak out if a Brasilian team didn't play in that style. And its not as though that style isn't working is it :) To go back to the original point (and why I used Brasil as an example) You don't have to change from tradition concepts to play within the "big business" of international sport. Test matches should be traditional. Thats the point of them. If you want Hard and Fast 20/20 or one dayers fill that void.
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

I just didn't want to point out the obvious 4th, it hasn't been a "gentlemans game" for decades, it has been a "do what ever it takes / win at all costs" one, proven by your link.

So tell me again why Punter's so much worse?
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

fourthof5 wrote:I noticed everyone ignored the underhanded, sorry, underarm delivery video I posted though
Yup, we'll do that.

Sorry Nige' but you left yourself open to that :nod:
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

As Bacchulum has pointed out this is almost entirely a media beat up, from what I've read it was agreed prior to the series that any racist remarks would be reported immediately which is what Ponting did. No big deal there as far as I'm concerned.
As to the "racism" well I'm sorry but if the worst thing Singh said was monkey then what a load of bullshit. In my opinion name calling in and of itself is not racism and if it is then we are all racists. Of course being aware that it is a sensitive issue Singh should have bit his lip but in the heat of the moment things get said, that's life. There's far too much sensationalism regarding the racism issue these days, lets save our disdain for real examples of racism, calling someone names is only an indicator that you might be racist, not irrefutable proof that you are.
As for the aussies being bad sports I agree to an certain extent but it's not that bad that I have a major issue with it, I wouldn't call them good sports but I don't know any team that is, particularly not the indians. I also don't see how they can "dish it but can't take it". If they couldn't take fiery opposition then they wouldn't be winning. The ashes loss in england was a better example of australia not being able to handle their own tactics thrown right back at them, the indians just don't really back up behind all the noise they make and the certainly have the talent to be able to do so.
It's also laughable for the indians to be calling the aussies cry babies and then threatening to cancel the tour and finally it's a big mistake pulling Bucknor from the next game, it's set a very dangerous precedent.