New car time.. opinions needed

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

New car time.. opinions needed

Post by Hz-Lab »

It's New Car time.

now, putting all Ford and Holden rivalry aside, anyone have any experiences be it good or bad with BA XR8's?

Looking at one just under the 100,000k mark in Citric Acid, 2004, 5.4l 5 speed.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nothing in particular but that's a lot of k's for a car that age - just come off lease has it?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

nah, one female owner, Done a few road trips.

It's actually pretty average for what i have been looking at. Most are sitting around the 75,000 to 125,000. (in my price range) I was also looking at a Xr6 Turbo one owner, 43,000k's, Yellow, for a similar price. Falcon 8's are normally pretty long in the tooth so i dont see th donk as a problem, just the other odds and ends. I only plan to have it for a couple years anyway.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Hz-Lab wrote:nah, one female owner, Done a few road trips.

It's actually pretty average for what i have been looking at. Most are sitting around the 75,000 to 125,000. (in my price range) I was also looking at a Xr6 Turbo one owner, 43,000k's, Yellow, for a similar price. Falcon 8's are normally pretty long in the tooth so i dont see th donk as a problem, just the other odds and ends. I only plan to have it for a couple years anyway.
Dad has an XR8 Ute, the thing is fantastic to drive and great on fuel for a V8 to be honest. I wouldn't bother with an XR6T, my step mum had one and it wasn't as fun as the 8... The VRX lancer was more fun tbh lol

I have driven the VZ SSV aswell and I do prefer it and it has nothing to do with Holden or Ford... It's just, Better?

Also be careful with the indicator levers lol... They snap real easy
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

the BA's are pretty well sorted and dont really have any common problems that spring to my mind. but they don't have a foot rest for the driver which is a glaring omission for lazy arses like myself ;)
It's been nice, chaps.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I had a friend of a friend that had a BA XR8 and the only advice he gave me was "if you're budget can allow it... get the BA Mk. II..."

He had a few niggly problem things but he also used it as his daily driver/on the road salesman type car... Used to cost him $300 a week in petrol before it $1.20 a litre :rofl:
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

one thing to keep in mind is the price of BF's and BA MKII's may take a hit when the new falcon is released.. pretty sure it's going to be in the first half of the year sometime?
It's been nice, chaps.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Takumi wrote:one thing to keep in mind is the price of BF's and BA MKII's may take a hit when the new falcon is released.. pretty sure it's going to be in the first half of the year sometime?
Orion should be on sale in April I think. There was a news story this morning that said it's been delayed because the XR range didn't look aggressive enough.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

hmm. it might be worth waiting a few months. But i think the one's i'm looking at are quite well priced, I am also looking at a XR6 Turbo in Yellow. But I'd definitely prefer the 8.

I think i may have to do something soon though, My LTD cost me another $400 today after the Ignition Switch decided to die. grrr. This is what is worryin me, The LTD has just hit that mark where things are starting to go wrong. It's done 300,000k's the poor girl, served me well, She's just getting tired. But i'm undecided wether to sell her or not. It was a car a fantasized about for so long and when i got her, i was so stoked and had huge plans. I'd almost like to put it in the shed and turn it into a 10 year project. but alas, no shedroom, no money.. lol.

I think the BA might be the g.o.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

well i test drove the XR8 yesterday, must say i pretty much fell in love with it the moment i sat in the thing. It's got plenty of poke and driving it with that massive big bonnet bulge in view just makes you feel like you're driving an animal. I was pretty damn impressed, the Box is pretty tight though, gonna take some getting used to. The only manual i have been driving for the last 4 years has been my mazda and the work utes, in which cases they both had sloppy 5 speeds. So it'll take a little bit to sink in.. like 2 k's or something. lol

I'm pretty much sold on this one, now i just need to figure out my finance. Which may cause to be a problem cos i'll be attempting to get a rather large amount on a personal loan as i am consolidating other loans aswell. but fingers crossed.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Used to the sloppy boxes aye mate?

lol
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Aslong as you can cover the costs I'm sure someone will throw cash at you :)

Good luck with it all, went for a ride in a mates XR8 work ute on the weekend and it was very cool :D
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

dvestate wrote:Good luck with it all, went for a ride in a mates XR8 work ute on the weekend and it was very cool :D
I guess if you ignore the performance of your XT, that statement could be true ;)
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

AstrO wrote:
dvestate wrote:Good luck with it all, went for a ride in a mates XR8 work ute on the weekend and it was very cool :D
I guess if you ignore the performance of your XT, that statement could be true ;)
Your right Astro, its a differnet sort of cool..... still prefer the Subbie over anything else :D
mosso

Post by mosso »

I am only new around here but I would prefer the turbo over the XR8. For a little extra spent after purchase you can make something really special. The BF XR6T with the 6sp Auto is great, so under rated. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

But it's not an 8, and has not the 8 sound, and has not the 8 rumble, and has not the auto-peen factor.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Hz-Lab wrote:But it's not an 8, and has not the 8 sound, and has not the 8 rumble, and has not the auto-peen factor.
Once you have tasted the power of the 8. there is no comparison. Except for maybe a 10 or 12, but thats only for people with too much money and not enough peen
mosso

Post by mosso »

These are the reasons car companies offer different models in their ranges.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Hz-Lab wrote:But it's not an 8, and has not the 8 sound, and has not the 8 rumble, and has not the auto-peen factor.
i thought the main criteria for you is how many girls and how many cups it'll hold. :lol: 1 guy 4 cup holders.
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

r8response wrote:
Once you have tasted the power of the 8. there is no comparison. Except for maybe a 10 or 12, but thats only for people with too much money and not enough peen
What is this peen you speak of? Is that kiwi for poon?
because you can't drive a house
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ashsimmonds wrote:
r8response wrote:
What is this peen you speak of? Is that kiwi for poon?
Maybe, i was actually going to write "Except for maybe a 10 or 12 but i only say that to avoid the wrath of Ash"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

well, i'm getting the XR8, picking it up next friday. gotta wait for the shit to go through the bank, which blows, i want it NOW!!!!

anywho.. here's a pic of the mongrel.

that picture makes the colour look more yellow than green though. The colour is Citric Acid, looks a bit greener IRL

I'm stoked, Fully optioned down to the Factory DVD player... saweeet. I'm gonna crash it
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Work mate got a 2nd hand Turbo Ute. Fuck they go hard.

Can only imagine the XR8's go harder
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

r8response wrote:Work mate got a 2nd hand Turbo Ute. Fuck they go hard.

Can only imagine the XR8's go harder
not really, they are pretty comparable. I think the 8 is only 0.02 seconds quicker on the quater, on the eighth mile the XR6 comes in a little quicker and obviously on the half and full the 8 picks up the balls and is a little quicker. Some people think its crap the 2 are so close, i personally think its good. It gives an option to 2 markets. I have a mate at work who is a turbo freak, he's had turbo's all his life, so he is considering the XR6, where as i personally prefer the sound of 8's, just does things for me. It's good both likes have an option that is relatively similar. cater for 2 niche markets.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

nice looking car ol mate...

I can picture the livery wrap already... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....