forum fairy - in a gay way!

Re: iRacing

Post by Gizmo »

Good to see you keen shaun.
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

NeilPearson wrote:
Shaun wrote:so with this if we get an invite its basically straight to the full game where we will have to pay for our subscription straight off?
all the invite is, is saying "here we are inviting you to buy our game" its how they are releasing it.
I don't get the point of this? They're inviting you to come and buy their game in order to try it... not the other way around. I think they should at least give a free demo to give thoses that doubt whether the sim would be any good, because if you think about and if you believe what they say, they shouldn't have any problem getting you hooked if it's actually a respectable sim. I think by charging people for a demo, they're just decreasing the likely income that they might earn. I think similarities can be drawn to the method that gmail launched itself, and it worked very well. It got people talking about how good i was but deliberately short supplied itself (by the invite system) to create a sense in people that they really wanted it. Only difference is... iRacing is charging you. If Gmail was a paid email service... i'm not sure it would be as awesome as it is now.

I guess the plus side of this is the ability to have a variety of cars without the hassles of downloading the correct mods like rFactor (not that i've tried it, but this is one of the reaosns why i haven't played rFactor yet, because of it's complicatedness), it will most likely suffer like the CTRA servers do. In our timezone, there just aren't enough sim racers who will be online to play. Also, much like the CTRA servers, the higher class cars (or in iRacing terms, the ones you have to pay extra money for) probably won't be used because not enough people have bought this 'upgrade'. So yeah... not sure why this is the case really. They're trying to promote professionalism, but in the end, it is still a 'sim'.

Just my 2c's =]
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

put simply

invites are given for a staggered launch. not for further testing purposes or anything.
--------------
Stu
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

I have absolutely no interest in paying to maintain a subscription to a game.

When you have free access to an enormous community in the form of Rfactor and a still large LFS community, all of which have serious leagues including world championships who cater for the average racer looking for some fun right up to the mega serious racers why join something else that forces you to pay for it.

Not to mention the constant influx of new free content with rfactor.

WoW attracts the mega nerds who have no real life so they live out a fake one online......i wonder how they will feel in 15 years time when they realise there youth was spent in front of a screen?

Simracing doesnt seem to attract the same kind of demographic so i doubt this will be anywhere near as popular. Even the serious ones amongst us recognise our real life responsibilities and social lives.

They will undoubtable make alot of money from the mega obsessed but i wont be one of them!
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I had all this stuff typed out to reply to that viperosi, but then i thought why bother.

im happy to pay for it, your happy to not play it.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

How the hell does a paid subscription have ANYTHING to do with people's lives?

WoW costs me $15 a month, Im not a millionaire but as a person with a full time job $15 is NOTHING, hell I went and spent like ~$200 last night clubbing sooooooo yer.....

If its decent, ill pay per month, if I enjoy a game im happy to keep paying. Wow is a perfect example of this, the game has evolved soo much since its first release, and when they charge people a cost per month, it means you can retain the developers that you originally used to make the game, and keep making more content ect ect... I would perfer to pay $20 a month for a game, then have to buy a new game every 2 months because ive beaten the old one and bored with it. I havnt really followed iRacing much other then reading this thread from time to time, but it looks like a decent idea, they have picked a target audicance and aimed towards them.

Back on pay per month, Its the WAY to go for pc gaming, the piracy in the pc community is MASSIVE, game developers are doing more and more console only games due to the fact they sell 10x more (especially new generation consoles which has greater copy protection) pay for the month ensures that you sell copies, and then you make decent amount of money as you go on.

rFactor relies on external developers, hobbyist to make mods, don’t get me wrong there are some FANTASTIC mods for it, but whats in it for the developers? Most games have a small shelf life, why would they waste money patching it for nothing? If the base game is bad, mods arnt going exactly make it fantastic
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Shaun wrote:but you can turn them off? and public release meaning the one from the invites?
Yes you can turn them off (the autoclutch, not the damage :) ) and by public I mean for this round of invitee's. I guess I should have used the term "full release", which is what you'll be getting instead of the beta that we've been driving so far :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

oh yeah, by the way, is there a short 'feature' list for this sim available? I mean things like damage model, tyre model, tyre heat handling, flat spots, etc...you know what I mean?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

NeilPearson wrote:I had all this stuff typed out to reply to that viperosi, but then i thought why bother.

im happy to pay for it, your happy to not play it.
Yep i was just stating the reasons why i personally wont be buying it, but other people like yourself will see benefit in it.

Hehe I knew my WoW comment was going to be very contraversial.

Paying a subscription encourages you to be active in the game constantly, otherwise its just waisted money. So it will take up a fair amount of personal time thats why it has something to do with peoples lives.

With any other sim community you can step away from it and do your own thing without having to worry about loosing ur subscription and having to pay money to get back online again, so it basically ties you to the community which is obviously part of its aim along with making them ALOT of money. Its not a significant point to students or people who have a tonne of time on there hands but it rules out alot of people.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

It's ok Viperosi, most of us think the WoW crowd are weirdo's too.. lol
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

nutty wrote:WoW costs me $15 a month, Im not a millionaire but as a person with a full time job $15 is NOTHING, hell I went and spent like ~$200 last night clubbing sooooooo yer.....
Yep, and with that $15 a month, look at how much content we've recieved as opposed to something like LFS. Obviously the companies are chalk and cheese in size, but the comparison is there
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yeah but r8 LFS isn't paid per month, if it was you would sure hope to hell the devs would be doing more than they are now. Don't really think comparing LFS and WoW is right
Hello :aussie:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think the argument is, if pay per month means a more steady flow of content, then people are probably willing to pay for that. You have sort of proved r8s point there shaun.

LFS= No PPM, slow development

WoW= PPM lots of content.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Ah yeah that makes sense then. I stand corrected
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

EMAILS SENT EMAILS SENT EMAILS SENT

I DIDN'T GET MINE I DIDN'T GET MINE I DIDN'T GET MINE

WHY WHY WHY
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

lol i assume it means your invite to iRacing has been sent, not an invite by iRacing back to you.

I hope to be proven wrong though :D
--------------
Stu
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Giz Giz Giz, you will never learn
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

:D
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

i downloaded mine just after beta testing S3
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

FUCK YOU DIPSTICK!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

LMAO..... aww come one, it's a little funny...
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

just a little lol
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I'll get you back one day!
Hz-Lab