Only if there was a large community
9%

Total votes: 58

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Re:

Post by NeilPearson »

r8response wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:I get lag and bad warp on a 15 car field australian servers in rfactor. so yeah rfactors is most definatly better :\
I'd say its more likely you haven't set it up properly. i can run in a full 30 car field in rFactor and not see any noticeable lag.

I've been able to play on numerous euro servers without lag
rfactor has to be setup to play online? otherwise how can one game work and another not.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

NeilPearson wrote:
r8response wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:I get lag and bad warp on a 15 car field australian servers in rfactor. so yeah rfactors is most definatly better :\
I'd say its more likely you haven't set it up properly. i can run in a full 30 car field in rFactor and not see any noticeable lag.

I've been able to play on numerous euro servers without lag
rfactor has to be setup to play online? otherwise how can one game work and another not.
There are a couple of obscure setting you have to change to get it to run smoothly. Can't remember them off the top of my head though
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

NeilPearson wrote: i just re read that post and i have to say Nr2003's Netcode is far superior to rfactors
So long as you don't touch another car perhaps, or even get near one. rFactor has been much more stable for me and I haven't had to do any fancy tweaks, though it probably goes too far the other way and is too forgiving with contact. Still, I'd rather have a wrecker bounce off than have my car explode into orbit.

It's going to be interesting to see how iRacing goes with wheel contact detection and the like with all the servers being in the US, because contact was the major weakness of the old papy netcode.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DarrenM wrote:
NeilPearson wrote: i just re read that post and i have to say Nr2003's Netcode is far superior to rfactors
So long as you don't touch another car perhaps, or even get near one. rFactor has been much more stable for me and I haven't had to do any fancy tweaks, though it probably goes too far the other way and is too forgiving with contact. Still, I'd rather have a wrecker bounce off than have my car explode into orbit.

It's going to be interesting to see how iRacing goes with wheel contact detection and the like with all the servers being in the US, because contact was the major weakness of the old papy netcode.
It was, however, usually hilarious to see a car take off with no wheels and a flaming engine.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Bauer

Re: iRacing

Post by Bauer »

SRT preview vid is worth a look for those interested :up:

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/index.php ... Itemid=206
--------------
Stu
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Very interesting. Seems pretty pricey if you include the fact you have to purchase tracks and cars no top of your subscription price. No skins sucks too but could be a great game.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i hope they make a demo
Hello :aussie:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Shaun wrote:i hope they make a demo
they have. - but it will cost you US$20 to try it :D
--------------
Stu
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

i like it, and i keep on liking it..!
balls & boobs. . .
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Yeah

Gotta say Im impressed.

Just dont quite understand how their leagues will function, but looks good thus far.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Looks really good. Unfortunately it just isn't the product for me. There's no games with decent offline championships besides the Simbin games and I'm a bit over those. I rarely plug my wheel in and when I do it's usually just for a little bit of fun - not a serious online testing session that counts your every indescretion. I'll give the trial a go though - a new game from the Papy guys is what I've been waiting for for many, many years.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

thats a shame Mick. I had you pegged as being a beta tester. I was going to hit you up for an invite to the next phase :D

Wonder what Mr Marsh is up to. I think he is nicer than all you blokes say he is :tilt:
--------------
Stu
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yep, was in the beta (which has just finished) and the NDA is lifted, yay! There are about 20 AOR members in the beta and we get 10 invites each. Those that are interested, post over there or PM me your details (full name and email address, no nicknames in iRacing, though I guess you could use an alias) and I'll try and sort you out for an invite. Note that this isn't part of the beta, so you'll need to subscribe if you want in.

As Mick says, the focus in this is online league type racing. There isn't really any room to tool around and have fun like I know many here used to do in GPL.
Hazelb wrote:Yeah

Gotta say Im impressed.

Just dont quite understand how their leagues will function, but looks good thus far.
I'll try and describe the leagues for you. A league runs at a given track for a whole week. They have servers on a constant schedule running practice, qualifying, time trial and race sessions at that track. Practice and time trial sessions are every couple minutes, qualifying sessions are every hour and race sessions are every 2 hours (they say the races will be made more frequent when there are more members). You just click in the website on the session you want to join and wait for it to start.

Practice sessions are 30 mins. Incident points don't count. They're working on making the practice a constant session that people can join at any time similar to how LFS works, which should be much better.

Qualifying sessions are also 30 mins. Unlimited laps for road courses, 4 laps for ovals. Your qualifying time is stored and used for the whole week, but you can run multiple qualifying sessions if you want to keep trying to improve your time. Drivers who have qualified are placed on the race grid in order of time. Anyone who hasn't posted a qual time starts from the back in order of iRating.

There are 2 points championships you can compete in. Races and Time Trials.

Time Trial: You get a 30 minute session and you have to complete a set number of consecutive laps without any incident points. The average of those laptimes is your ranking. Fastest for the week gets 100 points and it scales down to 0 for the slowest IIRC.

Race: You can do as many races as you want and it's the average points you score for the week that is taken as your points for that round.

So if you want you can do just 1 race, but that's where it gets a bit messy. The average iRating of all the drivers in the field determines how many points are given in the race. You only gain iRating by racing, so if you only do 1 race a week then your iRating will stay low and you won't be able to score as many points as drivers who do more races.
Last edited by DarrenM on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Darren - cheers to aOR for the wealth of info in the forum :up:
--------------
Stu
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

pm sent :)
balls & boobs. . .
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Thanks for all the info Darren. :tilt:

So, how does it drive? Or, more importantly, how does it feel? Like a Papy game? Or have things vastly moved on with their physics/FFB etc?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Something more like netKar PRO, but more polished and refined :)

Probably the best I've seen in terms of physics and FFB, but it's been a while since I played RBR on the tarmac stages.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That's good to hear. nKPro really did (haha - I automatically put it in past tense) feel awesome behind the wheel.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Exar Kun wrote:That's good to hear. nKPro really did (haha - I automatically put it in past tense) feel awesome behind the wheel.
Hehe, yeah the past tense is how I think about it too. Shame. But if this one can do it and more, i'll probably pay for it. I really loved nkp's handling and ffb.

Thanks for the nice report Darren...just got me thingking....they have iRacing, iRanking, what else can we come up with?
(wreckers are scored in iRaping points?) hehe
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

from what I have read, if you see a gap and make a bold move to pass someone, make it stick or you will lose an iGonad

:)
--------------
Stu
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Just a quick note for those getting invites, the invites don't go in until the 13th and I don't know when they'll follow up on them after that, so it could be a couple weeks before you hear anything :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I hope it happens before july, I'll be away...:/
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Before seeing the SRT review i was of the opion. Oh, fuck off. I'm not paying. Now, well Darren has a PM!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

lol i was the same giz
Hello :aussie:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

PM sent, oooh i been hanging for this day.. wooh, i'm so in