Where to buy new computer?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Peptis

Where to buy new computer?

Post by Peptis »

My computer is borked!

When I turn it on, it just sits there without even going to the bios screen. The reset button doesn't work and I have to turn it off to restart it. The same thing happened on Christmas day 2007, but it fixed itself a few days later. I haven't had the problem again until this morning. It looks like I might need to get a new computer, which really pisses me off as I'm trying to save to buy a house.

My question is: Where do you guys buy your computers from?

I used to use http://www.auspcmarket.com.au, and while their service is great I think that they might be a little expensive. (Plus, they don't have the new Intel C2D 8400/8500 in stock yet.)

I'd probably prefer somewhere that assembled and tested it for me. I figure that I'm paying for peace of mind as the whole system is then covered if something doesn't work.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

if u want a pre-made system, how about DELL?

*edit*
the 'XPS-420' comes with a free 24inch monitor upgrade....
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/product ... hs#connect
Steve
---
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

My work's stuff I get from Auspcmarket but my own stuff I build myself from computer fairs and whatever is cheapest online.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

SE1Z wrote:if u want a pre-made system, how about DELL?

*edit*
the 'XPS-420' comes with a free 24inch monitor upgrade....
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/product ... hs#connect
Damn! Now that makes the choice a little harder.

With Dell, I'd get a slightly noisier and slower (but quadcore) system, but with a 24" monitor. The total would be about $300 more than the system that I built at auspcmarket.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

But it's already built, tested and comes with a warranty of some sort....
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The problem with pre built dells is they come with a completely different type of ram that isn't interchangable with your standard off the shelf ram.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

matticooper wrote:But it's already built, tested and comes with a warranty of some sort....
Auspcmarket have free building and burn in chucked into the deal when you click the "assemble" button on ordering. They also have either free or very cheap shipping. Those are a couple of the reason they're at the high end of the pricing scale. Service is as good as I've had with Dell too - had to return a faulty harddisk once and I had a replacement the next day along with the courier bag to send the faulty one back.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Re: Where to buy new computer?

Post by DarrenM »

Peptis wrote:When I turn it on, it just sits there without even going to the bios screen. The reset button doesn't work and I have to turn it off to restart it. The same thing happened on Christmas day 2007, but it fixed itself a few days later. I haven't had the problem again until this morning.
My mothers had a computer doing that. It'd also work if she unplugged the power supply, plugged it back in again and turned it on straight away. Turned out the voltage in her house was really high (260 odd) and it was causing the power supply to freak out. Her PC ended up getting fried before we figured out what the cause was. Have you checked your voltage lately?
Peptis

Re: Where to buy new computer?

Post by Peptis »

DarrenM wrote:
Peptis wrote:When I turn it on, it just sits there without even going to the bios screen. The reset button doesn't work and I have to turn it off to restart it. The same thing happened on Christmas day 2007, but it fixed itself a few days later. I haven't had the problem again until this morning.
My mothers had a computer doing that. It'd also work if she unplugged the power supply, plugged it back in again and turned it on straight away. Turned out the voltage in her house was really high (260 odd) and it was causing the power supply to freak out. Her PC ended up getting fried before we figured out what the cause was. Have you checked your voltage lately?
No, I don't have the equipment. Unless you think I can tell the difference between 240V and 260V with a butter knife :p

It may be the same issue, but mine doesn't start working again when I unplug the power supply. Last time it happened I tried cleaning it out, checking that all the bits were plugged in firmly, etc... Each time I unplugged it, but it didn't work when plugged back in.

EK is right. Auspcmarket does all the assembly and everything for you. My experience with them so far has been excellent, hence why I keep going back to them. Like I said before, I know I'm paying more with them, but it's kinda like going to Delll; you know that they'll be good if you have any problems.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

r8response wrote:The problem with pre built dells is they come with a completely different type of ram that isn't interchangable with your standard off the shelf ram.
Dell just use generic DDR2 RAM (unless you are talking about a Dell Workstations).
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

AstrO wrote:
r8response wrote:The problem with pre built dells is they come with a completely different type of ram that isn't interchangable with your standard off the shelf ram.
Dell just use generic DDR2 RAM (unless you are talking about a Dell Workstations).
I opened my mothers PC to try and upgrade it. but some spare DDR2 ram i had didn't fit

Go figure
doug99

Post by doug99 »

r8response wrote:
AstrO wrote:
I opened my mothers PC to try and upgrade it. but some spare DDR2 ram i had didn't fit

Go figure
I have a feeling that the little notch is in a different place in DDR2 533 and higher speed DDR2 - stops you putting the wrong module into slots that can do damage. It could also be DDR ram, which was cheaper a few years ago - companies like DELL will buy thousands of sticks of whatever is cheap, then build systems around it - so when you see a lot of the cheap DELL boxes - they generally have a component that is older generation/in oversupply/being dumped by a manufacturer....

by the way - over/under voltage problems can be alieviated with a UPS - they are fairly cheap nowdays for a desktop one, even if they are just used as a filter for dirty power. A new PC is going to be more at risk to dirty power (thinner traces on boards/tighter margins for errors with higher frequency CPUs) so in short - protect the machine or it will happen again!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Have you got a spare PSU you can test out Peptis? It sounds like it could just be the PSU is on the way out.

I echo the sentiments about a UPS, of course Darwin being the lightning capital of Australia your very silly not to have one here. I have a Powerware 5110 which wasn't very expensive and is suitable for a home pc setup, been going strong for a few years now.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

I ended up buying a new system over the weekend. It's pretty much the system I posted up before, but I found some ways to shave about $150 off the price without really changing the system (cheaper case was one).
Sarsippius wrote:Have you got a spare PSU you can test out Peptis? It sounds like it could just be the PSU is on the way out.

I echo the sentiments about a UPS, of course Darwin being the lightning capital of Australia your very silly not to have one here. I have a Powerware 5110 which wasn't very expensive and is suitable for a home pc setup, been going strong for a few years now.
No spare PSU here (not one that could power the system). I'll ask at work whether they'll lend me a PSU to do some testing with. If that does turn out to be the problem then I'll replace the PSU and give the old PC to the gf.

I'll look into the UPS as well. If they're not expensive I might as well get one.
doug99 wrote:A new PC is going to be more at risk to dirty power (thinner traces on boards/tighter margins for errors with higher frequency CPUs) so in short - protect the machine or it will happen again!
My HTPC (<1 year old) is running ok. I guess that's not conclusive or anything though.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Zazz has a 650W UPS as today's item: http://www.zazz.com.au/

It's going for $70, pretty cheap I'd guess, but does that mean it will be crap? Or is that price ok for this kind of thing?