Chaz is a robot
20%

Total votes: 41

Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Footy - AFL or NRL??

Post by Rots »

OK so I prefer NRL. And by looking at the subject title of Footy threads here I'm aware that AFL is probably going to win this poll (bloody Victorians!).

I just don't understand AFL... it confuses the hell out of me. I don't know if I'm watching footy, soccer, netball, volley ball, basketball, ping pong (WTF is with the "hand" passes??). Are there any rules and where is the structure?? Why the heck is he being tackled but now they are kicking the ball all over the field?? The more I watch it, the more confused I get and the less I understand it. To me the game looks randomn. Why the can't AFL people just pick up the ball and run? When they're not kicking the ball, it's being knocked on by every Tom, Dick and Harry. AFL players look to have as much skill in holding the ball as NRL has at kicking the ball (I acknowledge that AFL players kick the ball with a skill level most NRL players could only dream of having!).

My daughter loves the Wiggles. To me, watching an AFL player trying to pick up the ball is like watching the Wiggles sing "Hot Potato". :D

Anywho, I'm losing my works AFL tipping comp (third in the NRL one) and I now refuse to watch any AFL games because I just don't get it.

Could someone please try and explain it to me? I figure that because it's completely opposite to NRL I won't get it. When I see AFL players going all "Hot Potato" I scream out "KNOCK ON". Don't get me started when I see forward passes... OMG, REF, THAT WAS FORWARD!!

:D :D
Sarsippius

Re: Footy - AFL or NRL??

Post by Sarsippius »

Ahh Rots, where to start lol. AFL is definitely my favourite football code but I do like both forms of Rugby as well. I think you've just got to give it a bit of time and probably watch a few games with some AFL fans so they can explain what's going on. I think a major thing is so much of the game is up for interpretation, particularly the umpiring which can make learning the rules hard. No two people will see a particular incident the same which is a problem in some ways but is also part of the beauty of the game. The skill level is there but the ball itself is much more highly contested than Rugby and a lot of the time it's more advantageous to keep the ball moving forward quickly or towards another player who's not under pressure.
It's a great game but unfortunately the administrators have been slowly sanitising it over the last ten years and it's losing the toughness that gained the game it's popularity in the first place. Rugby still has some of that edge to it but seems to be slowly going down the same path.
Montey

Post by Montey »

None of the above...

EPL
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Montey wrote:None of the above...

EPL

Is that a New Zealand Apple?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

norbs wrote:
Montey wrote:None of the above...

EPL

Is that a New Zealand Apple?
LOL that actually took me a second.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

The score is surprisingly even so far. I'd love to see more Gaelic football :P that's crazy stuff

edit: actually upon youtubing... afl's better
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

score pretty even, might even be more even if ARU was added...

Interesting the comments re not understanding something... obviously lowering your enjoyment level.

For years I thought the NFL (American Football - Gridiron) was quite simply the most rediculous game on earth, as I had no idea what was going on... Then a mate from the US came and stayed at our house for a week, and he couldn't miss a game, so he explained it while we watched it on TV... Now I love it totally, watch the odd game on Fox, and can see how they are so into it.

Such a simple set of rules, yet such a complicated game... and once you know it, obviously your opinions of it alter... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Fair enough. I would try to watch AFL but the ref constantly blowing his whistle everytime tom, dick or harry kicks the ball drives me up the wall. If I want to enjoy high pitch noises I'll lock myself in a sound proof room and listen to my tinnitus :D

Good point about NFL. I never liked it as well, but now I understand it I don't mind the game at all... even though they are soft cocks in armour! :p
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

I prefer EPL & A-League to NRL & AFL.

But as far as NRL goes, Manly Sea Eagles all the way.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I dont want anything going up my arse so AFL
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

NeilPearson wrote:I dont want anything going up my arse so AFL
:rofl:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

AFL - its the aussie game.. rugby is played by two states.. in the rugby world cup.. its shouldnt be Australia.. it should be New Queens South Wales Land. all i see is a bunch of thugs with no agility running straight into each other and scoring every 40 mins... *yawns*

Pommie mate of mine said they other day... 'hey origin is on tonight' i looked at him blankly and ask 'what the hell is that?' thinking it was some television series.. he explained it was rugby and couldnt comprehend that i didnt know... i said 'your in Victoria now dude, no one here gives a toss unless you moved from NSW or QLD.'
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DexterPunk wrote:AFL - its the aussie game.. rugby is played by two states.. in the rugby world cup.. its shouldnt be Australia.. it should be New Queens South Wales Land. all i see is a bunch of thugs with no agility running straight into each other and scoring every 40 mins... *yawns*

Pommie mate of mine said they other day... 'hey origin is on tonight' i looked at him blankly and ask 'what the hell is that?' thinking it was some television series.. he explained it was rugby and couldnt comprehend that i didnt know... i said 'your in Victoria now dude, no one here gives a toss unless you moved from NSW or QLD.'
I think you're lumping Rugby in with League. And a lot of fans from both sports wouldn't appreciate that. :lol:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"