Roof insulation. Batts or paper?

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Roof insulation. Batts or paper?

Post by norbs »

Anyone know anything about roof insulation. Our house gets fucking freezing in winter, the whole north side is in shade from the neighbours house, and we need some roof insulation. I have a unhealthy hatred of fibreglass batts, and was wondering if that recycled paper insulation is any good. Any other suggestions?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Re: Roof insulation. Batts or paper?

Post by Hz-Lab »

umm, it's alright, good old style Batts are your best solution though in my opinion, you need to be going for at least R3.0 insulation for the ceiling though, R1.5 for walls. My experience has always been with Bradfords & Fletcher Insulation, both good products. It's something you can definitely do yourself though if you don't mind crawling into small cavities, which we know you do
norbs

Post by norbs »

A stint in Foxtel was enough. I hate roof spaces.

Thanks HZ
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yup, what hertz said :yes:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

batts for the win! you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!!
balls & boobs. . .
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

oh, and they are cheap... from memory we did our house (3 bedrooms etc...) for around $250... or was it $350... anyways, as I said above... kick yourself...!!
balls & boobs. . .
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

we have the paper. had it done before last winter. I like the results but i wouldnt want the job of doing anything in my roof space now :)

they pumped heaps of the shit in there, coated it with some anti rodent stuff and off they went. it is a solid coating of paper with no gaps.

however I have no doubt that batts are a cheaper DIY option. :up:
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Having worked in roof spaces with both, batts are the lesser of 2 evils. I reckon some 3.5 batts will be the go. Thanks for all the help.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

if you want the more natural look though, you could hang the batts upsidedown from the ceiling. it's how god intended for them to be.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Norbs, check the state govt. website before you start buying stuff. NSW govt. has a 50% up to $300 rebate for insulation but you have to add a minimum rating for your area in order to qualify for it. You just have to send in a form with your receipts and the insulation bag labels.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/rebates/ccfcir.htm

Full listing of required R values here:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/rebates/rvalues.htm

It's 3.3 in Sydney, I think it will be the same for you, so I was able to do mine with R3.5 over summer for $126 post rebate, which took a couple months to arrive. Made a huge difference, well worth doing.

My place is 25 years old and doesn't have any insulation either. Not even sarking. It just dumbfounds me why none of the previous occupants did anything about it. Like your place, it was frikkin freezing overnight in winter and stoopidly hot upstairs in summer. Now the temps stay pretty level though the day instead of being about 1 degree higher than outside over night and about 5 degrees higher in the middle of the day in summer.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Hz-Lab wrote:if you want the more natural look though, you could hang the batts upsidedown from the ceiling. it's how god intended for them to be.
FACEPALM.jpg
See what you did?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:teach: