Wide Angle Lenses and Maybe Filter Setups

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Shonky

Wide Angle Lenses and Maybe Filter Setups

Post by Shonky »

After some thought on my up coming trip to Tassie I'm thinking I'll need something a little wider than the 24-70 for some interesting landscape photos. Since I'm on a 400D with a crop of 1.6 I'm trying to figure out which lens would be the go in the 10-22 range.

Forgetting price for the moment, which of the following lenses do you reckon would be the better option?

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM <-- Useless if at some point in time I upgrade the body to a full frame model, but a good lens from what I've read.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM AF <--Already have the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and I am happy with it. Works on full frame models.

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX <-- Another lens designed for crop camera, but will also work on a full frame down the track, I'm liking this for the constant apeture but it's not a high priority since I'll most likely be shooting landscapes in daylight anyway.

Got any suggestions for a lens I haven't named here let me know, the ones above I'm looking at cause the bloke I deal with has these in stock.

Also on the filter side of things, I'm thinking of tracking down some GND filters, and some ND filters as well, just to allow longer exposure times in the daylight hours. Got any suggestions on this front, I've been looking at the Cokin Z series setup but it's a fair amount of investment.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

You have a lot more options open with faster glass. I know one of the issues I have with the large zoom I have is that at f/5.6 its just not fast enough to really get the shots I want, where as f/4.0 or less do. So I would go for the faster glass. I would go for the Cokin P series as it has a good amount of creativity and is not that expensive. Filters that go in on the other hand can be a little pricey depending on what you want. I know Kodak have filters for cinecameras which work fine with the P series.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Shonky. I think the Sigma is fro cropped sensors as well. Otherwise I sold mine to Macca for nothing. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

So it is. :nod: Cheers for pointing that out Norbs. Bah, why are all the wide lenses for crop cameras. I guess on full frame the most you'd ever want would be 17mm before things started looking too fish-eye.
norbs

Post by norbs »

SHoNKY wrote:So it is. :nod: Cheers for pointing that out Norbs. Bah, why are all the wide lenses for crop cameras. I guess on full frame the most you'd ever want would be 17mm before things started looking too fish-eye.
The 17-40mmf/4L is a great lense on FF. But she is expensive.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

if you got a zoom starting @ 24 id go for a prime around 15 or 17mm

Cheaper and probably quicker (lower aperture) than a zoom.

maybe this Sigma one?

Im interested how you go as id love something wider than my 18-55 allows
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hmm.....I didn't even think of using a prime, I might have to look into them some more since the I'm yet to find a wide angle zoom that takes my fancy. Cheers for the idea Pix. :yes:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Shonky, a 24mm lense on a full frame camera is wide angle, its just less wide on a cropped sensor so there is the need for an even wider lense to achieve the same thing. Hence the 10mm lenses.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

But 10mm on a 1.6 crop isn't equal to 24mm on FF.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

No but its close
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

well its close to the angle of view but the perspective will be totally different..

whats the cheapest FF canon ? :D
eek
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

A Canon film SLR.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

A film SLR might be cheapest now, but not in the long run. Does anyone even process film these days? :D

Might just pick up the Tokina 12-24 f/4, that then covers the wide range for me, and by the sounds of it, if I ever go to a full frame body I probably won't need the 12-24 anyway.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

How much is the Tokina Dave?
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Just under $700 mate. There's a lot of sample pics taken with it here.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Looks very nice mate... I want one :D
eek
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

I have an 8mm peleng. Problem is that the edges don't have the same aspect ratio as the middle so I have to redistort them in photoshop (slight quality loss but makes it full frame). Got mine for less than 300 off ebay.

The Tokina lens looks brilliant though! I'd get that one
TassieDevil_Original

Post by TassieDevil_Original »

SO Shonky when are you coming down here, and what end of the state are you going to be at?

I'm in Launceston mate...

Tassie
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure on the dates yet Tassie, as for where we'll be, probably all ends since we'll be going for a week or thereabouts. Not sure on the plans once we get there, atm we're thinking of just winging it, staying in motels as we come across them. Still a fair bit of research to be done at this stage.
TassieDevil_Original

Post by TassieDevil_Original »

PM me if you need any info SHoNKY...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers Tassie, we shouldn't have much trouble finding our way around, we went over about 8 years ago, this trip is to take the photos I never got the 1st time for me, as for the missus the only request I've had from her is to go to the cadbury factory again. :D
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Did you get the Tokina Dave?

Hows it going ?
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not yet mate, one thing lead to another and the lens and trip to Tassie have been put on the backburner, moving house instead. :fall:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Sounds like fun :shake:
eek