Highest ever speeding fine issued

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Highest ever speeding fine issued

Post by Big Kev »

A Swedish man has been handed a £650,000 speeding fine - believed to be the world's largest ever - while driving Switzerland.

Traffic police pulled the 37-year-old driver over on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne, when he was seen travelling at two and half times the speed limit in his £140,000 Mercedes-Benz SLS.

The speed limit on Switzerland's motorways is 74.5mph (120km/h). The Mercedes-Benz SLS supercar in which the Swedish driver was caught is capable of a 197mph maximum speed.

Prosecutors claim that he was caught driving at 186mph, the fastest anyone has ever been clocked for speeding in Switzerland.

He avoided being snapped by numerous speed traps as he was travelling at speeds in excess of 125mph, which is too fast for the cameras to function correctly.

The driver, who has not been named, claimed that the car had recently been fitted with a new speedometer, which was faulty.

Swiss speeding fines are calculated using a formula taking earnings into account leaving the man facing the highest possible penalty of 300 days worth of £2,166 daily fines - £650,000 in total.

Traffic police on the scene claimed that he needed over half a kilometre of road to stop the car.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Highest ever speeding fine issued

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev wrote: The driver, who has not been named, claimed that the car had recently been fitted with a new speedometer, which was faulty.

he thought he was only doing 167 mph
petey

Post by petey »

A faulty speedo could not even come close to making you think you were doing less than 120mph atleast, your senses would have to be saying "Hold on a minute buddy this seems pretty quick"
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

speedo trick huh..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The fine based on pay-scale is, I think, a good thing. I'm sure the rich will still find a way to lower it, but should still sting them a bit. As it should in my opinion
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

The only problem with that system is that it will only cost Dole Bludgers a pack of Winnie Blues to go speeding around our roads ;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

matticooper wrote:The only problem with that system is that it will only cost Dole Bludgers a pack of Winnie Blues to go speeding around our roads ;)
...which is about the price of their car :D

nah, I'd think there's a set minimum
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Fines don't really work... poor folk don't have the money anyway, so a fine isn't going to affect them when they're already in a sheitload of debt with no cashflow.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.