Motorcycle Rider Training

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Robbo

Motorcycle Rider Training

Post by Robbo »

Just booked in today for my Motorcycle Rider Training course. Been around bikes all my life and my dad and brother have always ridden. I haven't owned a bike since I was 18 and never ridden on the road. I've toyed with the idea for years and have finally bitten the bullet. Wife is not happy!!

Just thought I'd share!!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Re: Motorcycle Rider Training

Post by c.j »

you only live once Robbo...
Just make sure you have the proper gear and do some track days. Keep the wife happy by showing your skill set improving and you get a massive rush then too. Look forward to the ride reports.

edited - typing on touch screen equals bad spellingv :(
Last edited by c.j on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Cheers CJ. I'm organising the gear now. Helmet, boots, jacket and pants on the way. I've got my eye on a Ninja 250R also. Love that bike!!
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

:yes:
250 Ninja looks like an awesome bike.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Got my upright last weekend. That was awesome fun!!!

Got my 'L's today. Will be wheeling and dealing for the best deal on a Ninja over the next few weeks!!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Good luck, you wont be able to get much off the price of the bike ride away... maybe a deduction on the on roads.

I'd be pushing for them to throw in some accessories. When I bought my R6 they threw in an AGV lid, chain lube and frame sliders.

Pics up when you can mate!

;)
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Quick biking adventure update. Lots of research and lots of phone calls ... Got a great deal on a Hyosung. The Ninja was a little too small and underpowered for me.

The Hyo 650 is the most powerful LAMS bike you can get and it looks a treat. Lots of Suzuki technology in there and bang for buck, it was the way to go.

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Much more fun than the two fiddy and you can un restrict it when you get off your P's.

Vroom Vroom... Enjoy it mate, stay upright!

Get Continetal Sport Attacks fitted when you can. Awesome tyre, for both advanced and beginners. Much more feed back than Bridestones. Also the new Metz M5 is a great tyre.

;)
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Well ..... today, the adventure continues. I rode to work. My wife took this photo with her iPhone. Maybe she thought it was the last photo of me she would ever take. :D

The first jacket I bought was a Dririder. Great jacket but hot as a f%&k. I got the Berik AirFlow for summer riding and how good is it!!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

yeah, you need both bud. I had a wet day Rivet and two alpinestars leather. One with a million holes in it, cuz its hot as feck on an R6 in summer and a normal leather for track work.

You look good bud, right posi and not too stiff in the arms and back. Best colour choice on the Hyo's, all silver looks toy-ish.

;)
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Like the instructor said ... Forget good posture ... sack of potatoes. Be comfortable.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

This is all common sense shit, but I'll share for others looking at getting a bike. If you are too stiff you fatigue quickly and your throttle response will be all over the place. I always took it on like firing a rifle, squeeze and release, instead of snatch and jerk.

Hopefully you get some good weather to have a bit of a blast over holidays.

What rubber is on it Robbo?

;)
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

c.j wrote:You look good bud, right posi and not too stiff in the arms and back.
That was my first thought when I saw the picture also , you must be a natural Robbo :) . The bike looks great too :yes: .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Cheers blokes. Really appreciate the comments.

I plan to ride everyday. It is my new passion. I am deadset on getting through this 'L' and 'P' period over the next 15 months and then moving to a 'real' bike. I won't be unrestricting. It will be worth more as a LAMs bike. I'll do some track days and get some more tuition also. As much fun as I'm having, road riding is serious business.

CJ .. They are Bridgestones. The dealer was telling me that earlier Hyos came on Kumhos or similar which were rubbish. I'll keep and eye on these and see how they wear.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Shop around for your next bike mate, its something you will be spending a lot of time on. Dont be scared to ride different brands of bikes several times so you can pick up on the little differences. Even though I knew I was getting an R6, I must have clocked up about 2 - 2 1/2 hours on the Suzi 750 and did numerous rides on Zx6, Ducati 848 and a few others.
This allowed me to feel the little things, like clutch actuation, how solid the gear changes were and how they were all different, pressure on my wrists etc. The R6 is the worst for this, but I was in love... you know what its like.

I am a big Continental Sports Attack fan. They do fine with all the conditions and have no problems dealing with the hot/cold cycle that a road bike hands out to its tyres. They warm up quick and love the track, but you do get good wear compared to the 003RS or 016 from Bridgestone. I had both those on my R6 twice and Metzlers M3 and Dunlop qualifiers on my 02 R6 until I sold it in 07.

;)