ma nu ca

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Gusto

Re: ma nu ca

Post by Gusto »

Update! Forgot about this thread here. I got it working! But then it broke :(.
Spent the last 5 months fixing (clicky for thread on 1st Gen forums - lots of photos). Here's a summary over that period of time.

Month's 1-3:
Cooling pipes
Coolant x2
Valve regrind kit for gaskets
Carbie kit for accelerator pump diaphragm
Clean and put everything back together

Put everything back together. It's alive!!!

Was running a little poorly (hadn't touched the tuning - it only wanted to rev to below 3000rpm), but was surprised with the power - accidentally spun a tyre when turning right at a T junction. Filled up with fuel - it had been sitting for about a year near empty - engine ran for 20m then died and wouldn't fire back up. Pushed it 1km back home. Should have filled it up with fuel before leaving it for a long time. Most likely some of the fuel tank oxidised, and refilling mixed some bad stuff around.

Month 4:
Replaced the Fuel Filter
Sourced and replaced the Fuel Pump (started leaking)
Top Torque Rod Mount (bushing's can't be replaced)

Month 5: And then the basics:
Oil filter
GTX2 oil
NGK Spark Plugs
Spark leads
3 Year battery (2yr old battery wouldn't recharge)
RS Steering wheel center (only sold in Japan - woo)

Had a little hiccup, thinking something was seriously wrong after a short drive, as there was a big oil leak. Turned out the valve cover wasn't on tight enough and the rubber gasket had popped it's head out.

Popped it back in, fixed up the hole in the exhaust resonator.

Replaced the spark plugs from not-so-good Bosch to made-in-japan NGK, spark leads; realised the distributor was off by a tooth on the cam; and with a timing light tuned the timing with a twist of the distributor. Finally sounding smooth, and revving above 2500rpm to freely over 4000rpm (redline is 6000). SWEET!!!

I love this photo.

Cleaned the car, and all was running sweet.

Good power, excellent handling (although easy to fall out of the seats). Drove to Mum's place, on the other side of the city.

Then, 10 Km later, on accelerating from some lights, poof! No power. On turning over while still rolling, there were no harsh noises, but wouldn't fire back up. Pulled over, opened up the bonnet, pulled off the air cleaner, to find this in the carburettor:

and a closeup from the above image:

Looks like shattered piston rings, forced through the intake manifold up into the carbie. Shattered 5 months of work too.

This leads me to now, where I have the next three choices.
1) Complete rebuild and rebore - maybe not a good idea.
2) Replace engine with same type or modify to fit upgraded one - not enough cash, saving up for house deposit.
3) Sell as is.
:(
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

:(

rebuild depends on if the rings damaged the bore badly.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Try doing a compression test on it first , if the rings have failed it will have no compression on that cylinder .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer