Getting dirty

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Getting dirty

Post by durbster »

Getting out to do some off-roading is a lot trickier here than it is in Australian. There is a huge amount of opposition to recreational 4x4 use (and even more to non-recreational), so the whole scene is extremely sensitive and tricky to get into.

However, after months of searching, I finally found a nice bunch of people and a local venue where for £20, I could spend the day larking about in an old quarry. Unfortunately, due to the missus not wanting to get out of the warm car we didn't get many shots of the Fourtrak, but I thought you might like to see what off-roading is like for those of us without a billion square miles of free space :)

The vehicle (which is even more manly when it's muddy by the way :lol: )

The venue was an old quarry:

The only time we got stuck was when we got beached on a small hump, leaving all four wheels spinning. Apart from that the Fourtrak was utterly brilliant - much better than I expected :)

This huge Chevrolet thing went everywhere, and helped drag this stricken Land Rover 101:

I like this photo, as it looks like the Earth giving birth to a Land Rover :D

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Getting dirty

Post by wobblysauce »

Sound like you had a great time, in a good safe environment to hone your skills.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Getting dirty

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome Durbs! Looks like fun. I've always had awesome fun on 4x4 days. Went to one recently with guys from pradopoint.com. Mate of mine has a Prado and goes along to their shindigs and invited me along. Was great fun.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

It looks like a hairdressers 4x4 as well :P
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

yes, very manly... preparing the snatch strap for a 3" deep puddle looks the goods... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol you guys are cruel.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

bengatta wrote:yes, very manly... preparing the snatch strap for a 3" deep puddle looks the goods... :D

hey man, it's wet up to the bottom of the rims. That's at least 4" minimum.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:lol you guys are cruel.

Rubbish. Not one comment about the lack of tread on Durbs's....... head. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

bengatta wrote:yes, very manly... preparing the snatch strap for a 3" deep puddle looks the goods... :D
I knew I should have pointed out that was taken after being rescued :lol:
norbs wrote:
Yep, I must admit that surprised me too :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:
I knew I should have pointed out that was taken after being rescued :lol:
norbs wrote:
Yep, I must admit that surprised me too :D

How long til....

Fuck me, it looks like Durbs and Rod had a love child!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Then it's only one step away from this...

[youtube] [/youtube]
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Awesome mate, good to see someone getting their offroad car dirty!

The best way to increase clearance to stop getting beached underneath is bigger wheels - taller profile. Suspension lift kits will raise the body/chassis higher, but have no effect on your rear diff height since it's a live axle.

I'm fairly sure you can adjust the front suspension height of those cars without aftermarket gear. I know with my Dad's early 90's Pajero's with that same style torsion bar front suspension he could increase the front ride height by adjusting the torsion bars after jacking the car up. Followed by a wheel alignment!

This gave his vehicle more front ground clearance around the front diff area and bash plates as we called them :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Cool photos - love a bit of 4wding :)

The only time I took mine to a 4wd park, I broke a CV joint and it cost me about $800 to fix.. so I stick to the beaches for my 4wding nowadays :)
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Rots wrote:The best way to increase clearance to stop getting beached underneath is bigger wheels - taller profile. Suspension lift kits will raise the body/chassis higher, but have no effect on your rear diff height since it's a live axle.

I'm fairly sure you can adjust the front suspension height of those cars without aftermarket gear. I know with my Dad's early 90's Pajero's with that same style torsion bar front suspension he could increase the front ride height by adjusting the torsion bars after jacking the car up. Followed by a wheel alignment!
Thanks mate. Somebody at the event also mentioned adjusting the torsion bars to lift the front. He said it'll go three inches higher, but I'd need spacers to do the same at the back. For the sake of £30 that's not such a bad mod :)

Another Fourtrak owner who has lifted theirs showed me a photo of his stranded on a small hump, so I guess you can never lift it high enough with the front suspension being independent.

I've got a tricky decision to make though, the MOT is due in April and the car will fail because of rust. So I can't decide whether to fix it up or get rid. It cost me nothing (ebay bargain :D ) and mechanically is solid, but if the welding required looks like a huge job I might have to cut my losses.

Having said that, the organiser of the event said his son did welding... :yummy:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

weld'r up.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

durbster wrote:
Rots wrote:The best way to increase clearance to stop getting beached underneath is bigger wheels - taller profile. Suspension lift kits will raise the body/chassis higher, but have no effect on your rear diff height since it's a live axle.

Thanks mate. Somebody at the event also mentioned adjusting the torsion bars to lift the front. He said it'll go three inches higher, but I'd need spacers to do the same at the back. For the sake of £30 that's not such a bad mod :)

Another Fourtrak owner who has lifted theirs showed me a photo of his stranded on a small hump, so I guess you can never lift it high enough with the front suspension being independent.

I've got a tricky decision to make though, the MOT is due in April and the car will fail because of rust. So I can't decide whether to fix it up or get rid. It cost me nothing (ebay bargain :D ) and mechanically is solid, but if the welding required looks like a huge job I might have to cut my losses.

Having said that, the organiser of the event said his son did welding... :yummy:
That's a bargin for a mod! Spaces though won't lift the base of the rear diff height though. Only taller profile tyres does that on a live axle.

If it cost you next to nothing, then weld her up! :D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I made a video:
[youtube] [/youtube]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

love the end.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

lol, nice
norbs

Post by norbs »

Some tobbacco filters and faux vignetting and it would be a Top Gear film Durbs.

And :rofl: at the end. It looks like that's the first time you've got those hands dirty in your life. All dressed up for 4WD day. If that was Australia you'd have a pair of footy shorts and a blue singlet on. :D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

norbs wrote:And :rofl: at the end. It looks like that's the first time you've got those hands dirty in your life. All dressed up for 4WD day. If that was Australia you'd have a pair of footy shorts and a blue singlet on. :D
You seem to have forgotten that I singlehandedly kept Australia's farming industry running during 2006 and 2007. :aussie:

And I was hardly dressed for the occasion - I was wearing trainers :D

Glad you enjoyed the vid though :D
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Great vid mate, loved the end hehe :)