Drove a Lotus

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Drove a Lotus

Post by Exar Kun »

A mildly tweaked Exige S to be precise. It was AWESOME. :D Sister-in-law's father-in-law (David) owns it and since no one in his family actually appreciates cars (they just see it as the mid life crisis car for him) he offered me a drive. Took it out for a run to the west of Canberra on some great roads (a couple have been used as tarmac rally stages in the past). It was pretty intimidating at first - having to crane your neck up to see Commodore drivers is a little different and having no rear view mirror, just the wing mirrors is a bit odd too. But it didn't take too long to start to settle in. The steering is amazing - unassisted, of course, so full of feel. Incredibly direct too - I only had to move my hands from 9 & 3 at the tightest of round abouts and the wheel itself is only about the size of my G25. And then there's the straight line speed - 180+ kw in 900kgs goes alright (around 4 seconds for the 0-100 sprint). The supercharger whine was unreal and power delivery really flat. The tacho barely has any increments before it shows 3000rpm (much like a lot of speedos don't really show much under 20 km/h) and that's where the engine likes to live. I didn't take it to redline but at 7000rpm she was still very willing and in no danger of running out of puff. Once the tyres were warmed up it just stuck. I stopped looking at the speedo and the posted corner speed recommendations and just went with feel and looked down after a while to see I was doing crazy things like 70km/h in 30km/h corners (I know you can go well above these but once they're that tight I usually slow down to at least 50!) without breaking a sweat. David just said that I was still taking it easy and it could go so much quicker. Sensible Mick wasn't too sensible for once with regards to speed limits but I've never driven a car before that felt so at ease so far above them. David has promised me another drive after he gets a new supercharger fitted which should liberate another 100bhp or so but it was really the handling that stayed with me (well, that and the manic engine noise). Can't wait. :D

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Drove a Lotus

Post by Righteous »

Sooo jealous.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

There great cars indeed. You just feel so planted on the road, it is a nice tingly feeling where your mind says 'probably should slow down now if I was in "X"'.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I just turned green. You lucky bugger!
It's been nice, chaps.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Drove a Lotus

Post by w00dsy »

See, if you were Mad Mick he wouldn't have let you drive it, but because you're sensible he trusted you. :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hrrrgghhh...you...you lucky you!

must have been a real fun drive. Get him to take you to a track day next :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

nice Mick :up:
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Maybe you and Ash could compare views from each of the front seats. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:Maybe you and Ash could compare views from each of the front seats. :D
:rofl:
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Good stuff!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

wobblysauce wrote:There great cars indeed. You just feel so planted on the road, it is a nice tingly feeling where your mind says 'probably should slow down now if I was in "X"'.
So as far as you know they didnt tone down the road version from the prototype you tested?
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

:rofl:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Shutup EK! :tilt:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Bauer wrote:
wobblysauce wrote:There great cars indeed. You just feel so planted on the road, it is a nice tingly feeling where your mind says 'probably should slow down now if I was in "X"'.
So as far as you know they didnt tone down the road version from the prototype you tested?
I dont want to take any thing from the good post from EK, but I will bite for you Bauer.

I haven't driven or been a passenger of a Exige S, but I have had a few rides of other Lotus's, 340R would probably be the best one of them and have [driven or been a passenger of] a few different Elise's and 7's.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I bet it was more fun than Forking out $600 to drive a lambo around the Gold Coast suburbs for half an hour..........

I've always wanted to take a lotus for a spin, If I was cashed up I don't know if I would buy one though. But whenever you see them they just look fun. I guess they are the more masculine equivelent of a MX5....lol
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

An Exige is probably the first car I'd be looking at if I had that sort of money.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hz-Lab wrote: I've always wanted to take a lotus for a spin, If I was cashed up I don't know if I would buy one though. But whenever you see them they just look fun.
Yeah, same here. It would be a difficult car to live with and the owner of this one actually rides a bike 99% of the time and keeps this as pretty much a toy. But by crap what a toy! I know it's a cliche with these cars, but the only thing that comes close in regards to steering feel that I've driven, seriously was a go-kart.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

so your hands turned black and arms hurt for three days after? :D
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:so your hands turned black and arms hurt for three days after? :D
I had similar results after my Serena Williams special edition fleshlight.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

LOL'd