Interstate rego transfer

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
TIMMY30

Interstate rego transfer

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey all,

Just about finished up purchasing a car from NSW. (im in QLD). Ive got a roadworthy sorted etc.

Now... ive started filling out the QLD rego application form and ive come to a question 'is the vehicle modified? If so does it have modification plates?'.

The car is modified quite a bit actually but i don't know anyone with a modified car thats gone to the trouble of getting it engineered and mod plated.

Whats my best option?. What are the chances they'll even go outside and look at the car?. Or further more turn the ignition on (the only way they'd really be able to realise the full extent of the modifications).

Considering just putting Yes, and saying it has bigger than standard wheels but not mentioning engine modifications. However i'd really rather not get caught for lying....

Thanks,
Tim
petey

Re: Interstate rego transfer

Post by petey »

The problem will not be in getting in registered. You will go into transport hand over the forms and walk out with new plates (handing in the old ones) and that will be the end of the story.

Until you get pulled over by the boys in blue and they see some modifications which may require a mod plate. If it needs a mod plate (you'll have to probably ask someone in the know or look up the website) then you really should get it done.

But in terms of getting rego transferred, it is as simple as filling out the forms and handing the plates in.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Don't worry about registration, worry about when you kill someone in an accident and your insurance is void.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

I don't think I've heard of anything like this in Victoria... I've heard of needing engineer certs for a few things but not mod plates.

The stuff I've done to my car I pass on to my insurer but I've never thought of telling vic roads and I've never had any problems with the law.
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hz-Lab wrote:Don't worry about registration, worry about when you kill someone in an accident and your insurance is void.
You can insure a car with illegal modifications, as long as they are stated in the policy. Also coming from mr Never had a modified car in his life, come on man lol
Hello :aussie:
petey

Post by petey »

A Mod plate is an engineers cert. That is to say, unless you are building a car from the ground up, a mod plate is sufficient. (in all cases that I am aware of)
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Depending, as in Vic at least you do not need a Mod Plate if you have the signed T's ticked and all the I's doted engineering paper work in the glove box.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Shaun wrote:
Hz-Lab wrote:Don't worry about registration, worry about when you kill someone in an accident and your insurance is void.
You can insure a car with illegal modifications, as long as they are stated in the policy. Also coming from mr Never had a modified car in his life, come on man lol
All my mods were legal and stated on policy. Regardless of that though, if you're involved in an accident and you have illegal mods then it leaves you very open to a lot of charges.

I guess all I am saying is that when you change shit on your car, do it right and make sure it's noted.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

It depends on what your modifications are, but really mod plates are for large modifications (roll cages, engine swaps ect..) most people who do lite/medium modifications go without it

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safet ... icles2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
has some details on modifications, but really QPS have fuck all of a clue about anything modification, ive been told 100's of diffrent rules from 15 cops.. in the end basic tasteful mods your likely to get away with, if your car is laying rail and has a 5" exhaust expect the book to be thrown at you.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I wouldnt say the car is a deathtrap at all. Its got a bigger cam and full exhaust+ over the radiator cold air intake. These are rather minor modifications and it is perfectly safe to drive.

The insurance company (NRMA) know about the mods but werent all that inquisitive about them at all.

When you compare them to other cars around. I suppose they are minor modifications. At most its too loud and too low.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yea you shouldnt have much of a problem providing your not dropping a skid..
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Not really interested in wrecking 19" tyres. Might drop when i go to willlowbank for a 1/4 mile run :)
petey

Post by petey »

So the obvious question, what is it?
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/veh ... g-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Good stuff mate :D although, don't fall over when you get a quote to get your brake discs changed haha
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Its good knowing people in that industry lol. I can get them for cost :). But i can always go back to a slightly smaller rotor.
petey

Post by petey »

Very nice!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

You won't go to smaller brakes after using good ones, it sucks going from the Brembos on my F6 to the standard VT Commodore brakes on my gfs car lol
Hello :aussie: