V8 points system

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

V8 points system

Post by w00dsy »

Someone at v8central.com worked this out, makes for some interesting reading.

AVESCO (Drop Your Worst Round after Bathurst)
1: Ingall - 1610
2: Ambrose - 1544 (+66 pts)
3: Lowndes - 1529 (+81 pts)
4: Skaife - 1516 (+94 pts)
5: T. Kelly - 1500 (+110 pts)
6: S. Richards - 1419 (+191 pts)
7: Tander - 1360 (+250 pts)
8: Bright - 1352 (+258 pts)
9: McConville - 1303 (+307 pts)
10: R. Kelly - 1274 (+336 pts)

FIA system (used in WRC and F1)
1: Ingall - 109
1: Skaife - 109
3: Lowndes - 106 (+3 pts)
4: Ambrose - 105 (+4 pts)
5: T. Kelly - 93 (+16 pts)
6: S. Richards - 88 (+21 pts)
7: Murphy - 87 (+22 pts)
8: Tander - 46 (+63 pts)
9: Radisich - 31 (+78 pts)
10: Ellery - 28 (+81 pts)
10: R. Kelly - 28 (+81 pts)
Top 7 have mathematical chance of winning title.

Australian Rally Championship system
1: Skaife - 240
2: Ingall - 238 (+2 pts)
3: Ambrose - 232 (+8 pts)
4: Lowndes - 229 (+11 pts)
5: T. Kelly - 204 (+36 pts)
6: Murphy - 194 (+46 pts)
7: S. Richards - 192 (+48 pts)
8: Tander - 115 (+125 pts)
9: Radisich - 87 (+153 pts)
10: R. Kelly - 79 (+161 pts)
Top 7 have mathematical chance of winning title.

MotoGP system (1 point for pole - 1 point for fastest racelap)
1: Ambrose - 298
2: Skaife - 297 (+1 pt)
4: Lowndes - 292 (+6 pts)
3: Ingall - 282 (+16 pts)
5: T. Kelly - 269 (+29 pts)
6: Murphy - 247 (+51 pts)
7: S. Richards - 244 (+54 pts)
8: Tander - 162 (+136 pts)
9: Radisich - 134 (+164 pts)
10: Bright - 129 (+169 pts)
Top 8 with mathematical chance of winning title
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I hate our points system - it's obvious how crap it is by looking at the gaps. It's too similar to NASCAR where regularly finishing top 5 or top 10 could net you the championship.

MotoGP or Champcar have the best points allocations in my opinion.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

You dont get extra points for Pole and Fastest lap in MotoGP. That might the American SuperBike system. But that is an interesting read.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah, the points system is a little dodgy but hey, hey all go by the same rules and different point sytems bring out different strategies. But i'd like to see the introduction of an extra point for pole & fastest lap, and possibly even points for most laps led. I dont like the system of an even 3 points between each place. it doesnt give incentive to the front runners to really have a go. It doesnt really reward them for taking a risk.

hmm, just my opinions though.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I like all the points system that puts Skaife lowest ;p
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Any points system that only gives the winner something like a 2 or 3% advantage over second place is screwed up. It also makes things complicated for the spectators. At least in F1, you can sit there during a race and easily figure out what the points standings will be come race end if they finish in the current positions (hey, there isn't much else to do during your average F1 race...) but in V8s and NASCAR the points are such that you just have to wait until the end and see what the table is or hope the commentators tell you.

We don't need a point system that scores people all the way down to 40th place but gives you nothing for a DNF. Obviously top 8 isn't enough (and F1's points system is crap anyway) but like I said before, MotoGP and Champcar score far enough down the grid that it stays interesting for lower teams. They also reward winners and they also make it possible for people with a couple of DNFs to get back in the fight.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

nutty wrote:I like all the points system that puts Skaife lowest ;p
here here :yes:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

You should get points for winning only :D That'd put Lowndes as a clear leader fromm Kelly, and Ambrose way back. :yes:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Guys, what's wrong with that Skaife guy?

And why is it wrong that consistency is rewarded ? (eg if you finish close to the top consistently)

I'm new here, don't flame me, just curious :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

ysu wrote:Guys, what's wrong with that Skaife guy?

And why is it wrong that consistency is rewarded ? (eg if you finish close to the top consistently)

I'm new here, don't flame me, just curious :D
Nothing really that much wrong with that Skaife guy - at least, only as much is as wrong with that Ambrose guy. Just seems to depend on which side of the fence you sit on.

I don't mind consistency being rewarded - but only to a certain extent. It takes away the worth of overtaking - why bother taking a risk if the winner gets 96 points and you, in second get 92? People regularly complain that the gap from 1st to 2nd in F1 isn't big enough and that's only 10 vs 8. A points system that only went down to 12th or 15th instead of bloody 50th or whatever it is now, and also gave the winner a decent gap, say at least 20 to 25% of the maximum haul, to second place would be much better, not to mention a crap load easier for the public the follow. :tilt:
Last edited by Exar Kun on Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

GO LOWNDES!!!!
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

I agree with the discussion here.

Personally I think the MotoGP score system is great.

Maybe brin in the MotoGP system and put Scaife in a Barina so we never have to worry about the stinkin poof again. Man that guy really grinds my gears. How good's Jason Richards going! Good on the little sheep rooter. They're saying .... unless I heard wrong that he may be going to FPR next year. Personally I think he'd be a great driver to fill the No 1 seat over at SBR. But what would I know.

GO Lowndes!!
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Post by David Piglos Shaw »

Yep, good to see The Clown make a late surge.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah i think rewarding consistency is good, but i just wish say the top 8 or so positions were rewarded a little better, a few more points here and there. who knows......GO LOWNDSEY...lol

Hmm, yeah Jason Richards is really proving himself of late. Be good to see him going to a more competitive team. But at this Stage i dont really see FPR being that much better than Dynamic/Team Dodo anyway, and probably wont be until the Prodrive execs swallow their pride and buy some SBR engines ha. Be interesting to see who fills the SBR seat, being a Ford fan Jason Richards is probably one of the few Holden drivers i wouldnt mind seeing take the seat, he's a rather likable chap. Apart from that maybe they could bring Youlden up. He's done well in previous stints, but he may be planning on staying in Carrera Cup. Or they couldeven smuggle the hairless Canto from DJR or something. god knows, it'd be nice if they were to give an unknown an opportunity. I mean they did it with ambrose to some extent, while being an accomplished driver, not many people really knew of him. So maybe they see it as a chance to filter in some new blood.

Either way that car is a rocket and whoever lands the seat is gonna be competitive.

but yes.... Change the points system. Introduce a short track oval round e.g. Adelaide international Raceway, And a Dirt circuit event possibly held on a beach.. ha! oh, and a demo derby... in luxemburg or something.... hmm, ok, maybe not.

I do wish however they'd chose some more interesting tracks for their fly away events, The V8's are a lot more fun to watch on the more traditional undulating circuits. the tracks with a bit of history, surely there are some real drivers tracks around asia and indonesia, surely.. Shanghai & Bahrain are just boring.... too wide, too predictable.

end rant.....
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Hz-Lab wrote:
nutty wrote:I like all the points system that puts Skaife lowest ;p
eek
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

im all for the ARC system GO SKAIFEY :D :)
Hello :aussie:
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

Go Lowndes!!!
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Hz-Lab wrote: Or they couldeven smuggle the hairless Canto from DJR or something.
Actually, Canto has just signed with GRM (Gary Rogers Motorsport), driving for them through-out Indy, but he still has one final commitment with DJR in the HDPC class. After that, whether he takes a full-time ride with them is yet to be seen, but it's looking that way so far from the scuttlebutt heard around the traps.
Unforgiven wrote:Maybe brin in the MotoGP system and put Scaife in a Barina so we never have to worry about the stinkin poof again.
Please, let it be. Mind you, he'd be more of a hazard in a Barina than he is in the Crumpledoor.. imagine trying to get past him around the Indy track?!?

GO LOWNDES~!
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Just on the F1 points/qualifying thing..

This from The Age newspaper
.. http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/F1- ... 81819.html

"Formula One will switch to a three-phase knockout qualifying system next season after a meeting of the Formula One Commission.

"Five cars will drop out after a first 15-minute session and another five after a second stint. The remaining 10 will then fight for pole in a 20-minute final session."

This should clean up the top qualifiers nicely, allowing a better spread of speed, faster times, and a much safer qual session.
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."