Tour T' Adelaide 2015

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Bails MacKenzie

Tour T' Adelaide 2015

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

Those who race AC with me on Friday nights know I was heading down to Camperdown to set-up for a hillclimb.
We ran the hill for the Tour T' Adelaide Lukemia Foundation Fundraiser in the morning and our club cars in the arvo.
The tour runs from Camperdown to Adelaide in time for the Clipsal 500
[youtube] [/youtube]
This is the lay of the hill, I'm the goose in the raincoat standing behind the white commodore.

The cars for the Tour were a damn sight better than most of our cars.
and that gold Capri is a genuine Perana
A 70-odd year old bloke owns this McLaren, He bought four....
Then our guys took a run at the hill, due to me being on the return road I only got four pictures
The Commodore runs a 355ci taken from the owners Ex-Bathurst A9X and the RX-7 is the 2014 Eastern Creek time attack winner (for his class)
This 120Y runs LPG and a turbo system, he bends a driveshaft every meeting he goes to.
The "Scubadoore" runs a V6 ecotech and wheels too damn big for it's arches, it used to run the standard Subaru engine, on 25psi boost.

I'll keep an eye on the results this year and update this when the event finishes
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Awesome Bails but I was expecting a much longer Hill.
Looks like it's only about 1km long?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Tour T' Adelaide 2015

Post by w00dsy »

i forgot they run the hillclimbs there. I've never been but my mum and dad went there a bit in their younger days. As well as Hume Weir etc.
Bails MacKenzie

Re:

Duke wrote:Awesome Bails but I was expecting a much longer Hill.
Looks like it's only about 1km long?
All the hills in the Victorian Series are under 1km due to the fact that it's hard finding a scenic drive over 2 ks long that we are allowed to run on and it costs a lot of money to run the ARMCO barriers all the way up a hill. There is a sole event that runs on a 3k hill, it's run by the Targa group.
Ararat used to be a 1.2km hill but it got cut back to 800m after John Faulkner did 250km/h up the hill in his V8 Supercar and Camperdown got 100m cut off the start straight after an XU-1 Torana went flat-chat through the finish line and jumped off the hill, we only recently got the 100m added back to the course bringing it back to 760m.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I'll be honest, I've never understood hillclimbing. Short runs, very much a money wins sport, and very limited track time during the day. You can do sprints for the same money.
Bails MacKenzie

GT VIRUS wrote:I'll be honest, I've never understood hillclimbing. Short runs, very much a money wins sport, and very limited track time during the day. You can do sprints for the same money.
I'd have to agree with you there, The McLaren won the tour's event and the RX-7 won the club's event, both cars cost a shitload of money, thankfully due to the tour picking up the bill we only had to charge $50 to run up the hill, even then it worked out as $12.50 a run, one guy went too hard into the second corner and turned it into $25 a run!
Hell, I spend more time on the track than the guys who pay for it!
Each man to his own I guess..
Bails MacKenzie

Small update on the event, due to finish around about now.
The A9X replica ran into one of the FPV GT's at a Motorkhana doing around 110km/h, both cars are buggered.
The McLaren MP4 12C got written off at the same test.
Seems that the more money you have, the faster you crash.