Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
wabbit

Re: Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Post by wabbit »

Doso wrote:thats how much keys cost these days unfortunately as they all generally have RFID immobiliser chips in them and the key thus has to be coded to the specific car, if you think $400 is high you don't want to know how much newer medium to high end euro car keys cost!
Firstly I don't think its how much they actually cost, rather how much people are willing to pay. Your Euro car comment screams of this. If the customer doesn't pay for a replacement and goes without the RFID and 4 buttons its still no skin off the manufactures nose.

Granted there is some tech in the newer keys but these are being made by the multiple millions. Car manufactures are known for standardisation to bring down cost. I would have thought the syncing of the RFID would be with the customers car (maximum 30min task) or from the manufactures central database.
Doso

Re: Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Post by Doso »

wabbit wrote:Firstly I don't think its how much they actually cost, rather how much people are willing to pay. Your Euro car comment screams of this. If the customer doesn't pay for a replacement and goes without the RFID and 4 buttons its still no skin off the manufactures nose.

Granted there is some tech in the newer keys but these are being made by the multiple millions. Car manufactures are known for standardisation to bring down cost. I would have thought the syncing of the RFID would be with the customers car (maximum 30min task) or from the manufactures central database.
Simply the customer does not have a choice in 9/10 situations with replacement keys, thus the manufactures can charge almost what ever they want since only the manufactures can code the key to the car these days.

The keys themselves only cost probably 5-10 dollars to make and maybe 30mins of labour but the manufactures can charge $400+ dollars since the customer has no other choice. All manufactures have realised this now with modern RFID equipped keys and charge like hell for it