Gaming PC help

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Gaming PC help

Post by Duke »

SE1Z wrote:Not sure tbh...

From memory, vsync is set to application control within the catalyst driver suite.
I'll check tonight.
OK well I'm pretty sure it is off by default in F1 2012 so that shouldn't be an issue.
The other big difference we have is GFX cards, as in AMD vs nVidia... (let the debate begin on that one)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Ran with the same res as you: 1920x1080
Got an avg of 59fps.

Seems nVidia kick arse with codies games!
Steve
---
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

SE1Z wrote:Ran with the same res as you: 1920x1080
Got an avg of 59fps.

No it's not that bad after all as I was only on high settings as I didn't know there was ultra on some parameters. :rolleyes:
So I have now re-run the test, this time I got 63FPS avg with a low of 49FPS.
I'm still happy with that given the age of the bits in this predominately spare & 2nd hand equipped PC. :D
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

It is the processor.. Haswell is not that great for PC enthusiasts, great for low power devices though.

Open up any Cpu temp eg, Intel Real temp and watch the Core clock while playing the benchmark.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

wobblysauce wrote:It is the processor.. Haswell is not that great for PC enthusiasts, great for low power devices though.

Open up any Cpu temp eg, Intel Real temp and watch the Core clock while playing the benchmark.

That's very interesting, I will test your theory out.
Many of the reviews I read have the Haswell architecture ahead of IB on most benchmarks, gaming included.

I don't have any 'new' games to really stress the system, maybe 3D mark?
I ran prime95 for 20 odd minutes, all 4 cores @ 100% and clock speed didn't budge off 3ghz.
Steve
---
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Flinty72 wrote:
SE1Z wrote:Ran with the same res as you: 1920x1080
Got an avg of 59fps.

No it's not that bad after all as I was only on high settings as I didn't know there was ultra on some parameters. :rolleyes:
So I have now re-run the test, this time I got 63FPS avg with a low of 49FPS.
I'm still happy with that given the age of the bits in this predominately spare & 2nd hand equipped PC. :D
haha oops! :aussie:
Still a very respectable score, and playable - which is what matters!

I finally got Dirt3 running last night, the only other game I have with an inbuilt benchmark, all Ultra again - got 65fps avg.

Happy with that, and as I said earlier - it's practically silent.
I don't mind giving up a few fps to have a quiet, small machine. :)
Steve
---
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Might be you have a good one, most at the start of say Prime95 drop down after about 5mins that or your cooling is good :P
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I was a little surprised when you said the new pc is quiet because my HD 7870 is fairly loud, well quite audible even inside my Nanoxia Deep Silence case from half a metre away where I sit and your video card is right next to a big air vent. Looking at the bench comparison on Anandtech there's about a 10db difference between the two which would explain it so it looks like you made a pretty good choice if quiet is what you were after.
I need the extra though as I have a 30" screen at 2560x1600 and I like to have a fairly high fps in iRacing. I have the fps locked at 111 which stays pretty constant except for some tracks and with many cars on screen. I run shadows as well which is a real fps killer and now I'm used to a high fps anything under 80-90 doesn't feel very smooth.
I actually upgraded from a 6850 and all it really gave me in iRacing was shadows at a good fps, I expected a little more at first so was kinda disappointed but I think it was worth it in the end. If I see a youtube vid or something now without any shadows it's just not the same. :)
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

my machine sucks...... 30FPS at Ultra

turned everything back a slot and had a more playable 56...
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

What game and what res?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Steve
---
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

F1 18xx by somethin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

dvestate wrote:F1 18xx by somethin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

1600*900 ?
Still... for your old pc, 50-ish fps is great, even at med or high details.
Sarsippius wrote:I was a little surprised when you said the new pc is quiet because my HD 7870 is fairly loud, well quite audible even inside my Nanoxia Deep Silence case from half a metre away where I sit and your video card is right next to a big air vent. Looking at the bench comparison on Anandtech there's about a 10db difference between the two which would explain it so it looks like you made a pretty good choice if quiet is what you were after.
I need the extra though as I have a 30" screen at 2560x1600 and I like to have a fairly high fps in iRacing. I have the fps locked at 111 which stays pretty constant except for some tracks and with many cars on screen. I run shadows as well which is a real fps killer and now I'm used to a high fps anything under 80-90 doesn't feel very smooth.
I actually upgraded from a 6850 and all it really gave me in iRacing was shadows at a good fps, I expected a little more at first so was kinda disappointed but I think it was worth it in the end. If I see a youtube vid or something now without any shadows it's just not the same. :)
Yeh, I think I hit the price/size/noise ratio pretty well.
It's only loud or even noticeable upon a restart when the fans spin up at the bios POST.

Sure, it's not the best or quickest machine around, but it suits my needs/wants perfectly.

I didn't actually expect to be able to set any games to Ultra detail settings, so that's a bonus.

Wow... 6850 - 7870 = shadows.
I guess that would have been hard to swallow at first, did you have all other details maxed out on the 6850? (apart from shadows)
What is the difference like in other games though?
Steve
---
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah I've never run shadows before because they cause such a massive drop in fps so it is nice to have them now, this card will easily do for the consumer Oculus Rift so I don't think I'll need a new one for quite some time.
The 6850 was a good card and could run this resolution with everything maxed out and at 120+ fps, I think it slots in a bit behind your new one.
I haven't actually tried any other games, don't have much time for games these days so it's really only iRacing. Before buying I worked out averaging the results on Anandtech bench it's about 90% better performance than the 6850 which is why I guess I expected a bit more performance in iRacing. :shrug: