Your guitar gear

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Dr. Pain

Re: Your guitar gear

Post by Dr. Pain »

$1500 for a Gibson Les Paul?! That's only $500 more than my Epiphone! :fall:

I bought myself an amp last week. A Blackstar HT-5R and a Blackstar HTV 212 cab. I gave up on the 5150 III idea as I don't have $2000. The Blackstar stuff was just a bit over $850 and I figure a 5 watt tube amp will be more usable than a 50 watt. Just got to wait for it to all come. Will be February before I have a cab as I found out on Friday. :(
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

here's some pics of my new thing

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nice :)
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Jebus, thats a find...
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Cutter wrote:Jebus, thats a find...
I'll say! Nice work w00dsy :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Wow dude - that's fricken awesome! What a score! You must be pretty stoked. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
richo

Post by richo »

Very nice indeed , you can't beat the real deal.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

How does it play and sound?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

only had a quick play for about 10mins last night but it was really nice, i much prefer the slim neck of the Classics. And i wasn't sure if the 500T and 57 bridge pickups would be my thing but i'm really digging their warmth. I'll have much more of a play tonight, but i've been on cloud 9 all day thinking about it.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Exar Kun wrote:Wow dude - that's fricken awesome! What a score! You must be pretty stoked. :tilt:

fuck yeah, it's always been my dream guitar, then to get one so cheap is great, then to get one that has torn ear drums out in front of thousands of people is brilliant.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My dream has always been a BC Rich Warlock but a good one. But in the mean time I'm really enjoying my Les Paul. Plays and sounds so nice for a Chinese made version. The 57 pick ups it has gives it balls. It should be fucking sweet through this Blackstar amp when I have it all. :)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i just took the cover off the front pickup and i discovered it's actually a Classic Plus model(it's written in the pickup cavity), which is why it has the flame top as opposed to a plain top like normal Classics. Which makes it an even better deal.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

WHAT A FIND!!!

Looking over this thread you blokes have some mighty fine axes. Ive got my guitars out of storage now we are in our new home and have started playing again after a 5 odd year break, it feels good going thru a bunch of old songs and riffs that ive still managed to remember. :)

Ive got a Crafter MD-120 6 string acoustic and a old Legend Prestige Series electric guitar that is around 20 years old now that is screaming for a new set of strings. I sold my Laney quad box and head when I stopped jamming with a drummer I went to school with so im ampless at the moment. Ill have to pick up a cheap decent amp soonish now im getting back into it, but with babies on the way that might take a back seat for a few more months.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

The best small amp at the moment is the Yamaha THR10, by a long way. About $300 and it'll do every sound you could want.

[youtube] [/youtube]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Cheers man, $300 is quite affordable in the next few months. Nice sounds out of such a small box!

I love my metal so it brought a big smile to my dial at the 7:58 mark.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That's pretty cool. Good thing about small amps if you can have a few to play about on. I'm going Blackstar as I just love how they sound. Chappers did a good clip on the 5 and 1 watt. Chappers seems to want a sponsor :D
[youtube] [/youtube]

And the 5 doing metal...
[youtube] [/youtube]
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i did this for my mate who loves singing this song at work and says 'Nothing' pretty much the whole way through the song, but i figure everyone here knows i'm a dickhead so there's no harm posting it here. My new geetar in action.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

For some strange reason I want to fly with Qantas now :rofl:
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

oh that was a joke from the other day. I was at work and drank a coke zero too fast and was really bloated, so i was kneeling on the floor rocking back and forward to try and squeeze it out and my workmate saw me and said 'qantas, gotta fly qantas' referencing Rainman.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Got a Blackstar 112 cab today to try out the HT-5RH I got last week. Best words I can use is wow! just fucking WOW! :fall: The little sucker has some big balls and had me giggling like a schoolgirl. The clean channel isn't much chop but the overdrive is great. Can get a nice AC/DC crunch from it, some nice Iron Maiden style tones and put the ISF to the US side and run a boost pedal (tube screamer clone), it does real heavy stuff. A quarter volume and it's loud enough not to annoy people but it fills the room I use it in. But half volume with the gain at 2 o'clock and it's the sweet spot and it's loud too. I could have gotten away with the 1 watt version in terms of volume but the head room in the 5 watt is nice. The re verb is good too and it doesn't over saturate the tone. I've enjoyed my 60 watt Vypyr but the 5 watt is more usable in terms of volume and it's louder than my 30 watt Marshall. Got a 212 cab coming next month so it should get better. What a great amp! :)
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Sounds as good as it looks woodsy , awesome :yes:
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Seems my 212 cab is on the way faster than I was told. Seems a waste now getting a 112 but at least I can play my amp. The HT-5 sounds like it's come straight out of the 1980's which is a good thing. Takes me back to my teens, discovering Maiden and trash metal when I had long hair and was fit. That has since reversed :( Damn glad I got this amp as it's more usable than my 60 watt vypyr in terms of volume and it's far better distortion too. Think I'm done now for geetar gear.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Got my 212 cab today and it's bigger than what I thought :yikes: Works well with the head. :)

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Thats awesome
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Nice amp. I've always been very keen on the Blackstars, especially the amps paired with their cabs or even others. I think if I was playing more guitar, I'd have one.

Forgot to post this, but a few weeks ago I bought a Fender Precision Special (made in Mexico), with modified Lollar Pickups, flatwound strings and Hipshot tuners. Cost a total of... $350 making it the cheapest instrument I own and the one I can't put down. It plays like a dream and sounds beautiful when recorded.