2014 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

at least he's alive, that's a start.

Jules Bianchi has suffered a severe head injury and is undergoing surgery following his crash in the Japanese Grand Prix, the FIA has confirmed.

Marussia Formula 1 driver Bianchi crashed on lap 43 of the Suzuka F1 race, going off the track at Turn 7 shortly after Adrian Sutil had spun into the barriers at the same place.

Bianchi's Marussia hit the rear of a recovery vehicle that was being used to recover the stranded Sauber.

After being removed from the car, he was taken to the Suzuka circuit's medical centre before being transported to the Mie General hospital in an ambulance. He was unconscious throughout.

A statement issued by motor racing's governing body on Sunday night said: "The CT scan shows that he has suffered a severe head injury and is currently undergoing surgery.

"Following this, he will be moved to intensive care where he will be monitored.

"Mie General Hospital will issued an update as soon as further information becomes available."

The FIA confirmed that double waved yellow flags had been displayed after Sutil's accident to act as a warning for drivers.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

damn :(
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Well atleast he is in Japan and not some third world country.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Blimey, fingers crossed but it still doesn't sound great when you consider he was wearing an FIA approved crash helmet.

Also is the last sentence really needed at this time... Sheesh!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

:(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Seems to be stable at the moment which is a good sign.
Looks like he went under the back of the tractor as the roll hoop is missing completely. I hope though that it means they'll look at some sort of cowling or cushioning on the recovery vehicles rather than going back to talk of cockpit covers etc.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Side view showing the missing rollhoop with Bianchi being attended to
[SPOILER]
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

from twitter

He's at ICU,breathing on his own and that more news will come tomorrow after he's been monitored for 24 hours.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Latest news from French media is that Bianchi is now under respiratory assistance, and will be operated on again during the night.
My Flickr Stream
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Last night I was thinking he'd died, glad to hear there is some hope.

With the chopper and ambulance going off at the same time I was wondering if a marshal had been injured as well, but no news on that. I saw a comment somewhere speculating that there might not have been room in the chopper to perform CPR, hence the ambulance. Maybe the chopper just went to the hospital in case they needed to take him to the larger one further away after stabilizing him.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I know I should keep me mouth shut in light of Jules conditions but I'm still very upset with what occurred.
To not have a death in an F1 race since Senna over 20yrs ago then possibly have one under those circumstances after all the safety measures undertaken since is a disgrace.
Dr Watkins will be turning in his grave & I imagine Sir Jackie Stewart is none too happy either.
It's a sad state of affairs.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

At a certain point it comes down to the driver too. They waved double yellows which means slow down rather than just don't pass. From what I've read he went off at the same speed as Sutil, and he wasn't under yellows at the time. So there is some blame on Bianchi. The FIA did pretty much everything right. Imagine if they pulled a safety car every time a car goes off now. They didn't when the Sauber was such in the middle of the road at Hockenhiem. Sadly it was just a freak accident.
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

What a sad way to end a great grand prix.

Some strange decisions that went both ways in this gp, the race spent so long under safety car at the start that the cars went to inters within a few laps which was a bit of a joke and then not to have a safety car when it was actually needed to recover a car in increasing rain conditions. I saw an interesting point that it the low downforce of both the sauber and the marussia may have been the reason as to why they couldn't make it through the corner as safely as the others.

Apparently conditions that getting worse was the reason he wasn't taken in the helicopter, though you might be right as well Darren. Lots of speculation at this time.

The pictures aren't good. There is clear damage on top of the nose of the car all the way down to the driver with the rear of the car having been completely ripped of and ground down to the same height as the front of the car. It looks like its gone under the rear of the recovery vehicle where it has an rear end that is ascending from the rear wheels. Atm my thoughts are that if they didn't have the raised area around the side of the cocpit that he would have been killed on impact. It still looks and sounds like he would have sustained a horrific impact at head height.

The fact that no marshals were killed is a minor miracle, it must have come damn close to hitting them.

Fingers crossed for jules but im really not to positive about any outcome for him atm :(
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I'm sorry but my opinion is that at anytime a recovery vehicke/tractor is within the confines of the track (inside of the crash barriers) then a SC should be mandatory, particularly with Formula cars.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

There was talk a couple of years ago of artificially limiting a cars speed through yellow areas, but I'm not sure what happened to that.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I just read Jules was on pretty worn tyres, his were 17 laps old. Only his team mate & another were on older tyres. So the likelihood of him aquaplaning, at a slower speed even, was likely. No driver can control or stop an aquaplaning vehicle.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/10/05/2 ... pit-stops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Old worn inters on a track getting wetter was an accident waiting to happen. Especially in one of the tail end cars.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

w00dsy wrote:There was talk a couple of years ago of artificially limiting a cars speed through yellow areas, but I'm not sure what happened to that.
Im kind of amazed that this already isnt in place. When an accident happens, every car could be limited immediately until the danger is cleared. Makes way more sense than a safety car apart from the excitement factor being removed of bunching the field.

At the very least, a SC should be called whenever there is an accident leaving a car stranded in wet conditions.

It doesnt need to be as ridiculous as Nascar who call a yellow as soon a car is slightly sideways, but I think it really was a terrible call on Sunday not to call a SC when they have them running around the circuit to start the race. Conditions were worse during the accident.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

The Asseto Corsa guys could implement it for them with their stupid 5 second rule :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That thing frustrates the hell out of me. 9 times out of 10 it's punishing me for already stuffing up and losing time. In a race against the AI after chasing someone down for 10 laps, it's very irritating. It basically wrecks your race. I do know you can turn it off, but then your laps are invalid for online etc. I get why that is. But still...

</off topic rant>

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
richo

Post by richo »

Very worried for Bianchi but I'm scratching my head at Vettle getting third and I do understand how it works last completed lap etc and it works the same for all but its ok to have a sook isn't it [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Wow, what happened to the lower speed for double yellow waved?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm thinking the same Wobbly. It's wet, getting dark and worn tyres... They don't put out double waved yellows for a laugh. Maybe they should look at reduced speed via the ECU when a double yellow is in play in certain circumstances.

I hope he comes through this though. :(
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This isn't sounding good. No further updates expected until his parents arrive. :(

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/285 ... d-injuries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I left work thinking he'd be fine after I heard he was breathing unaided...

Now my heart just hit rock bottom. Sorta preparing for the worst news, anything else would be so, so great.