I haz HTC Desire !

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Jamo

Re: I haz HTC Desire !

Post by Jamo »

I've had a Desire HD for a week now and am mostly loving it. But the music player has me buggered. How the hell do you sort the Albums out with cover-art etc?

Say you have The Beatles you can only have one Beatles folder and not separate folders for Sergeant Pepper and the White Album. How do you have multiple albums by one Artist/Group???

Sorry I know I've not worded this well, bit pissed right now.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Your using the built in app? I would recommend trying winamp or poweramp
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Nice, the Desire HD looks sweet, maybe a little large.. I agree with nut's winamp rocks

There is also a good app in the store that grabs album art.. "Album Art Grabber"
eek
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I can't figure out how to download and install Winamp. Can't find it on the Android Market (what a shithouse website!)
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Use it on the phone?

Open market, search for winamp.

the website sucks
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

OK found it but damned if I can figure out how to download/install it!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Try going to this link... http://blog.winamp.com/2010/10/20/winam ... w-in-beta/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...and use the barcode scanner app to read the QR code. That should take you directly to the market link for Winamp (unless it's being hidden for you for some reason).
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Bar Code scanner! :melt:

Fark this shit, way to complex for me. New iPod ordered :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Just go to the "Market" app and search for it.. its in your big list of installed apps.
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

From the posts alone, it does sound stupidly hard to do a basic task. In saying that I can't believe it actually that hard.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

its easy, not really sure why your struggling.

The market is excatly the same as the app store, open it search for what you want.. otherwise browse via top apps/type of app
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

wabbit wrote:From the posts alone, it does sound stupidly hard to do a basic task. In saying that I can't believe it actually that hard.
I was posting an alternative method... Normally you just open the market, search and download the app you want, simple. Not sure what the problem is.

...But the Barcode Scanner app is awesome. I have a QR code stuck on my router that lets me automatically configure my wireless settings for android devices. :D
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/wiki/Bar ... rk_config_(Android" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

[Edit]

[youtube] [/youtube]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Alrighty... so I took the plunge today and switched to Telstra with a Desire. I could have gotten an HD on three for a bargain price but their lack of coverage has been shitting me so hopefully telstra's coverage is as good as they say. I seem to be able to make calls from my desk in the middle on canberra so that's a plus already!

Now... a couple of things. How would I best go about getting my ring tone/message tone stuff off my old nokia onto the desire? They're in .amr format right now. I synced the nokia with outlook and then outlook with htc sync to get my contacts and calendar onto the phone... is their a way I can edit my contact info for the phone on my PC? It hasn't brought across all the fields, like where I have more than one number per contact I only have one number now.

Any absolute 'must haves'?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I never used the HTC Sync software with my Magic, but you could try importing the contracts directly into your Gmail account... Gmail > Contacts > More actions > Import
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Exar Kun wrote:Alrighty... so I took the plunge today and switched to Telstra with a Desire. I could have gotten an HD on three for a bargain price but their lack of coverage has been shitting me so hopefully telstra's coverage is as good as they say. I seem to be able to make calls from my desk in the middle on canberra so that's a plus already!

Now... a couple of things. How would I best go about getting my ring tone/message tone stuff off my old nokia onto the desire? They're in .amr format right now. I synced the nokia with outlook and then outlook with htc sync to get my contacts and calendar onto the phone... is their a way I can edit my contact info for the phone on my PC? It hasn't brought across all the fields, like where I have more than one number per contact I only have one number now.

Any absolute 'must haves'?
You should be able to edit the numbers in outlook and it should sync back.. tho as mentioned I havnt used the HTC Sync software before.

In regards to the ringtone, think you might need to convert the file to .mp3
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

nutty wrote:In regards to the ringtone, think you might need to convert the file to .mp3
Also, the following folder structure should help you with locations of ringtones, notifications and alarms... (these are relative to the root folder of the SD Card)
  • media/audio/ringtones
  • media/audio/notifications
  • media/audio/alarms
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Cool, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to do a bit of work to update the contacts but no big deal as the fields obviously don't match up properly between nokia/outlook/google.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

See if you can save the contacts on the nokia as a vcard file, this can then be imported into gmail and synced to the phone.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

$478 outright.. !! Bargin..

http://www.crazysales.com.au/htc-desire ... 22147.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
pogo

Post by pogo »

pixelboy wrote:$478 outright.. !! Bargin..

http://www.crazysales.com.au/htc-desire ... 22147.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$454 including shipping after coupon HAPPY2010XMAS

w00t! I haz now too :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

A couple of weeks into ownership and I'm loving this thing. So many apps and so customizable but easy to use at the same time. It really is a fantastic phone and a great toy too! :D
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I was playing around with my dads HTC Desire last night and have a quick question. How much battery life do you guys get out of a charge? I did the *#*#4636#*#* thing and had a look at the battery profile. Just curious to see what others get out of the phone before its flat.

And noob question, how does one update the OS? Do you do it through HTC sync or..?
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I get less than a day battery life.. but i work it hard..

you can update the OS over the air.. there was an update in november for telstra devices.. mines rooted, I load a new ROM every week .. :lol:
eek
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Ahh so the ROM's are the updates excellent. Thanks for that Pix, yeah my dad doesnt seem to get more than a day out of it without thrashing it. But nothing seems to be using the battery. He does leave the wifi\BT on 100% of the time though would that sap it? At the end of the day its a smart phone so it wont set records, but less than a day seemed a little low without consistent use.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

pixelboy wrote:I get less than a day battery life.. but i work it hard..
Same, there's a not a single smartphone that can last a day of real use. Anyone that craps on saying "I can get 2 days usage", doesn't really use their phone enough.