Washing Machines

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
doug99

Washing Machines

Post by doug99 »

The first major appliance that my wife and I got together has started spewing water on the floor after 12 years. It has already been fixed by me once around 7-8 years ago before there were 2 kids as well, and with the third due in October I think it may be time for a new washing machine......

I know they are not the most exciting (or blokey) of things, but does anyone know anything that can help us sort one out quickly?

Special requirments apart from low water usage would be something fast and simple, capable of handling a family of 5, and if one exists with a child lock it would be handy (Autistic son who likes the water and emptying the washer and or dryer on the floor....)

Thoughts anyone?
plastik8

Re: Washing Machines

Post by plastik8 »

How old is your son? Perhaps a top loading machine could be the child lock you are after. (Or make it even worse as he might attempt to climb up onto it = dangerous).

Then again, all machines lock the doors when there is water inside anyway don't they?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
doug99

Post by doug99 »

He's 6 - already opens the current top loader. We stuck a child door lock on it, but of course he can open them as they are designed to be out of reach. It is quiet possible we will just have to do the same thing, just wanted to avoid it if possible.
I am thinking do front loaders have some form of lock? Aren't they slightly more water efficient?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I think it's just a latch doug, not sure it locks.

They are more water efficient but also take longer to wash in my experience. The washer/dryer combo's take an age. OK as long as you're not in a rush.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

WE have a front loader, once that puppy starts, there is know farking way to open it now matter how bloody hard you try and despite the fact that you are late and you don't want your only pair of good socks to be washed...........

The LG one we have won't open once it starts. I know top loader can. Well, all the ones I have seen do.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I saw some good deals on front loaders the other day, but i cant for the life of me remember where now. The front loaders are certainly more water efficient - i think there is some cash back incentive going around for buying them.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Same deal as Righty - we have an LG front loader that doesn't open once it starts. It's a washer / dryer too so got to wait 4 hours if you go the whole cycle! You can always stop it anytime but it will wait 2 minutes or so before it unlocks so water won't go spilling everywhere.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

MIne has an anti-crease finish :) Makes iorning easier!
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

We've got an LG front loader as well, it's easy on the water and like Righty said once that thing starts aint no bloody way it's coming open.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
doug99

Post by doug99 »

Thanks for the input guys :)
Looks like the go is a frontloading Whirlpool. The door locks shut when in use and you can pause them, pumpout water and add stuff. They also have a one piece Stainless drum, tight fitting seams to prevent lint buildup, and a button that you can pop out to stop kids locking themselves or siblings inside.......The wife has picked the bottom of the range one as it has less lights and buttons so as not to attrach attention, the other option is the top end model which has a button lock function.

Currently waiting on some Government funding thing for families with kids that have 'special needs' This is so called emergency funding to cover essential white goods which you get so many dollars every so many years. However it takes at least 4 weeks for them to approve the request. And they could always say no. Oh and I cant go and pay for it now and the government reimburse me - they will make a cheque out to the people that gave the lowest quote (and all quotes generally last for only 2 weeks!)

I will say one thing (without having a big add for them...) The Good Guys were extremely helpful - even though it was clear to them that they would not get 'paid that day' it really didn't seem to matter. And they were cheaper by far than the other people we had to get a quote from :) I dont know if you guys that live in capital cities strike sales people like that, I always thought that GG's would be the last place I would preffer to spend money with - but this is not the first time that they have 'suprised' me
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Doug.... have you bought the machine yet?

As I repair washing machines and all other whitegoods, also electrician.... please stay away from the whirlpool, lol. The company i about as helpful as pockets in a singlet. Need to go something that's "local" so to speak. Electrolux, LG (The company is bad, but the machines are pretty good) or NEC. The reason I say this is for the fact that the companies (apart from LG) are very easy to work with and I can guarantee there'll be an Acredited Service Agent in your area or very close by.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]