My 1994 MX-5

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Bauer

My 1994 MX-5

Post by Bauer »

where is that couch smilie when I need it :D

went for a drive south of hobart today to look at some new wheels. It was priced just right for me (needs some work) so I bought it home with me (2.5 hour drive home was sweet)

The pic is during the lunch stop on the way home. The Scooby next to it is the car we went down in. Felt less gay in that.

Anyway, the plan is to de-hairdresser it a bit and use it as my daily driver. It goes well, has more torque than I expected and handles quite nicely. :yes:

its a 1994 1.8 for anyone who isnt laughing at me at this point :D

Last edited by Bauer on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Re: new wheels for me

Post by Hazelb »

um...

umm...

Studley Love the III appears to be having a MLC...

:)

WD Looks the goods Studley...
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

another hairdresser in the Arse family
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice work studdsy - you're a braver man than I! Would love a drive of one one day. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Although it wouldnt be my choice, I have driven one a fair bit when posted in NSW and it was good fun up and down Putty Rd. The owner later converted it to a BMW Z3. :eyepop:

Congrats mate
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Exar Kun wrote:Nice work studdsy - you're a braver man than I! Would love a drive of one one day. :tilt:
thanks Mick :yes: I knew someone would appreciate my choice :D If you get the chance, take one for a spin. I was impressed with how "raw" the early models are. they are light and nimble, have enough power for what they are and simply feel like a car that is meant to be without all its bells and whistles.
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nice one... I'd buy one, they are good cars and I don't care what others think. Congrats.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

twisty's yes good car, around town ... hairdresser
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

What I would have given to have my roadster when we drove around Tassie. That place has perfect roads for them.

Looks very high though. The UK cars of that age had similar ride height and nobody has any idea why. Get it down :D
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

durbster wrote:What I would have given to have my roadster when we drove around Tassie. That place has perfect roads for them.

Looks very high though. The UK cars of that age had similar ride height and nobody has any idea why. Get it down :D
Yeah it does sit high. It still has the original 14" wheels on it. Next year will see it lower with de-hairdressed wheels I reckon. :yes:

As for the roads, yeah they are good :)
--------------
Stu
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Those wheels are good because they're extremely light so I would suggest choosing very carefully if you swap them. These cars really don't like big wheels, and they like heavy wheels even less :)
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

It'll be easy to pick you out next time I'm in Tassie again Stud... and I'll be the one in the white Cruiser sitting an inch from your ARSE ;)
Last edited by matticooper on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Lower it and put a set of sticky tyres/semi slick tyres on the original rims and you will have a blast. As much as I think they are a bit gay, I wouldnt mind having a go in one round a track to see what all the fuss abou there handling is. :p
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

yep it is about the old power to weight, and you got to keep it low .... so no fat chicks

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

No fat chicks, but you can get it lower with a nice big set of teetees...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

thornz wrote:Lower it and put a set of sticky tyres/semi slick tyres on the original rims and you will have a blast. As much as I think they are a bit gay, I wouldnt mind having a go in one round a track to see what all the fuss abou there handling is. :p
No no no - more grip is less fun. :)

(ok... except on a track)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

studdsy and durbsy sitting in a tree, h-o-m-o-ing
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

w00dsy wrote:studdsy and durbsy sitting in a tree, h-o-m-o-ing
Like Im not copping enough shit from within my family. I havent even driven it to work yet :)
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I saw one zackery the same this morning @ parramatta creek..

Was a female driving it, could have sworn she was flicking her hair...hairdresser me thinks... :)
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Quite ironic it being labelled a hairdresser car. The state of my hair after a drive is usually an utter catastrophe :D

Or maybe that's it - it does your hair for you :p
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

well i seen some more today with the nice weather we have atm... 3 silver 1 red all 4 bald/ing middle age men

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

.........and sold my Ford Courier last night. He came, he saw, he left a deposit :D picked it up today. bye bye Jim

it must be said that I am enjoying driving it. I havent owned a car that is meant to be 'driven' since I was 20 odd. SWMBO has been calling it "The Miata" I didnt know that she knew what a Miata was. Turns out she doesnt, she just recalls Tony in an NCIS episode calling it a car that if owned by a man, means he must be in denial.

Wobbles - bald men down here drive CX-9's
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Bauer wrote:.........and sold my Ford Courier last night. He came, he saw, he left a deposit :D picked it up today. bye bye Jim

it must be said that I am enjoying driving it. I havent owned a car that is meant to be 'driven' since I was 20 odd. SWMBO has been calling it "The Miata" I didnt know that she knew what a Miata was. Turns out she doesnt, she just recalls Tony in an NCIS episode calling it a car that if owned by a man, means he must be in denial.

Wobbles - bald men down here drive CX-9's
:nod: :D

And loving it!
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

hehe... surprised he hasn't said 'it is absolutely fabulous' yet

The 4Car Top 10: Hairdressers' cars
http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/feature/15714/2

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

wobblysauce wrote:hehe... surprised he hasn't said 'it is absolutely fabulous' yet

The 4Car Top 10: Hairdressers' cars
http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/feature/15714/2
from the wobblink
OK, so the MX-5 is very cute to look at, but it doesn't completely fulfil the criteria for a hairdresser's car, as it's actually a great car to drive.
I can live with that :D Must say it is a small car. Our Lancer sits beside it and from side on you cant see the mx-5 at all
--------------
Stu